First detailing by myself on the zed

veeg33

Got some time in lieu accumulated so took half day off today to detail my car. Borrowed a car polisher from my mate, brought some sponge, and some masking tape.

Products:

Farecla G3 polishing compound

Farecla G10 super fine polishing compound

Halford's stone chip repair kit

Turtle Wax car shampoo

Meguiars all metal polish

Gtechniq C4 plastic restorer

Before:

801b8e75b6175f0cea3bdb2ddf28c468.jpg

501f5c76f63d9d64e992b76a3c24e7e8.jpg

8e64a27335ce51c85c2c5f780cda6c58.jpg

Lots of scratches around the rear hamburger ðŸ”

834dcbd10bfe47065ffd9ba033f413c9.jpg

Some of the visible scratches

088afdbcfa592a06cd7d8d20a09ca77d.jpg

510cfd4fb385912a77f0d04aab43f571.jpg

Unfortunately, I only managed to polish the rear wing and rear boot area before the rain starts. :o hence can't take pics of the polished area around the rear hamburger. 80% of the scratches are removed and only some still visible if you look close. Will get it sorted out tomorrow and take more pics.

What's left?

3/4 of the car

Rear exhaust tips

All black rubber trims

Kuro black paint on the stone chips and scratches

Did you mean you brought a sponge along, ...or that you bought a sponge? :dry:

Either way take that sponge and f**king burn it. :lol: You really shouldn't use a sponge when cleaning your car or any car or painted surface for that matter.

You really need to buy one of these to replace the sponge; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonus-Ultimate-Sheepskin-Wool-Wash-Mitt-Car-Detailing-Shampoo-Glove-Lambswool-/130936852049?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item1e7c71ce51

It's a lambswool wash mitt and won't damage your paintwork like a sponge will. ;)

Where is ilogikal1 when you need him? :D

Check out the detailing section further or just ask if you want any advice. Nice Zed. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Did you mean you brought a sponge along, ...or that you bought a sponge? :dry:

Either way take that sponge and f**king burn it. :lol: You really shouldn't use a sponge when cleaning your car or any car or painted surface for that matter.

You really need to buy one of these to replace the sponge; http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e7c71ce51

It's a lambswool wash mitt and won't damage your paintwork like a sponge will. ;)

Check out the detailing section further or just ask if you want any advice. Nice Zed. :thumbs:

FFS.. GM!! go easy on the fella! it is the weekend after all :lol:

• Like 2

Plus one for the lambswool wash mitt - you need two buckets too.

(One with soap in for washing - one with clean water for rinsing after you've had contact with the dirt on the car)

Oh and the sponge? Burning too good for it.

*High five* :D

Exactly, looks like veeg33 loves his Zed just like the rest of us so let's give him good advice when we can. :thumbs:

FFS.. GM!! go easy on the fella! it is the weekend after all :lol:

:sorry:

Tbf though I didn't even mention the single bucket so I thought I was being pretty chilled out. :lol:

Seasiders filled him in on that mistake now though. :D

• Like 2

I've got 2 sponges and one lambswool wash mint. Normal for use with G3, super soft for G10 and lambswool for use with Nu Finish once a year polish.

I kept the sponge wet with a water spray every now and then. I also use lowest speed and lots of movement to avoid burning 🔥

That's the recommendations from Farecla website 😤, I should had read for advices here.

Thank you guys! Appreciate your input. I'll exchange those spare sponges I have with the lambswool.

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

I'm here. :teeth:

There's nothing wrong with using a sponge...

:stir:

... if you slice them up and use them as tyre dressing applicators. :lol:

Personally, I prefer these to the lambswool just because they don't rot like all the lambswool mitts I've had, but either would be kinder to the car than the sponge. ;)

OP, I've noticed you mentioned polishes but no wax or sealant. You'll want to add some protection after going to the effort of polishing (after the paint touch ups though, obviously). Also, look up the "2 bucket method" (or 3, as you're cleaning the wheels too - I spotted that wheel brush - or 4 if you want to go overboard with the wheels :lol: ).

I've got 2 sponges and one lambswool wash mint. Normal for use with G3, super soft for G10 and lambswool for use with Nu Finish once a year polish.

I assume you're referring to the polishing pads here? The advice above is referring to your wash sponge, not the polishing stage. Perhaps you could give a quick run down of your current process, just to avoid any misunderstandings?

• Like 2

I'm here. :teeth:

There's nothing wrong with using a sponge...

:stir:

... if you slice them up and use them as tyre dressing applicators. :lol:

Personally, I prefer these to the lambswool just because they don't rot like all the lambswool mitts I've had, but either would be kinder to the car than the sponge. ;)

OP, I've noticed you mentioned polishes but no wax or sealant. You'll want to add some protection after going to the effort of polishing (after the paint touch ups though, obviously). Also, look up the "2 bucket method" (or 3, as you're cleaning the wheels too - I spotted that wheel brush - or 4 if you want to go overboard with the wheels :lol: ).

I assume you're referring to the polishing pads here? The advice above is referring to your wash sponge, not the polishing stage. Perhaps you could give a quick run down of your current process, just to avoid any misunderstandings?

Lol, I use polishing sponge (polishing pads). For the wash, I use a mop like cloth. Start from top to bottom to avoid picking up dirts which usually more at the bottom. Then dry the car with microfiber cloth. Then start off with a normal sponge (polishing pad) with the G3 polishing compound. Haven't got chance to finish the whole car yet. Plan is polish the whole car with G3, then switch to the super soft sponge (polishing pad) with the G10 super fine, then final round with the lambswool mitt with Nu Finish once a year polish/wax.

Good advise on the sealant, I'm not sure if the Nu Finish is a polish or wax. Need a closer look at it. That was a gift from my mate who owns a body shop back in Malaysia. He highly recommends it.

Edited by veeg33

Good advise on the sealant, I'm not sure if the Nu Finish is a polish or wax. Need a closer look at it. That was a gift from my mate who owns a body shop back in Malaysia. He highly recommends it.

This the stuff? If so it appears to be an AIO. With some pretty... "interesting" claims actually. I've not used it (or even heard of it before actually :lol: ) myself so I can't comment on how good it is or isn't, but this made me chuckle;

The only car polish tough enough to be called

“The Once-A-Year Car Polish.â€

Followed by the instructions stating;

For maximum protection, apply second coat in 30 days

:lol:

Sorry, simple things...

So you all know better than Paul Dalton then :stir::lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpUNglIi5A4

Yes. :stir::p

Here's after 7 hours of sweat......

559ca53c8b9abe8fa3fbd84d426e85a1.jpg

e1344b9bc1c8f29698146ad44ae971a9.jpg

4e1fd274ac2fd04e9a6df7c834804124.jpg

d18fde243c7cd68a739d87c9675e01c7.jpg

303d36b8cb8c9a8865f0120232365f83.jpg

8480aa2f00d120b0de313435b0b98ca0.jpg

Defo worth my time and sweat when my zed had a mirror finish........ Sweet!

Shall see how long Gtechniq C4 plastic restorer last. Happy with the results and I only need few drops to get is sorted.

I actually kind of liking the blue masking tapes on the zed

8023d2c7dba564f0beb201a793218139.jpg

bbfb5166cc9192a8d362f0f31c50e144.jpg

• Like 2