Thinking of going back to oem air box?

The Seasider

I did a search but couldn't find exactly the scenario that I was looking at.

My UK 2005 roadster was fairly well modified when I got it - courtesy of Abbey - JWT pop charger, plenum spacer, uprev map, decats, modified Y pipe if i recall correctly & maybe more.

I've had it getting on 3 years and it sounds extremely good but since I've got my JDM - which has the standard air box, exhaust & no modifications, I'm not sure that I'm gaining anything other than noise with the roadster as the coupe goes like a rocket compared to the roadster.

Just to reinforce my doubts, I recently changed the standard filter to a K&N panel filter, cleaned the MAF (always good for a few horses) and reset the ecu and the coupe now goes like an Exocet.

Just so it didn't feel left out, I also cleaned and reoiled my pop charger, cleaned the MAF an reset the ECU on the roadster and although it did go better - it still doesn't have the urge of its JDM auto cousin.

Consequently - getting to the point - I'm thinking of ditching the pop charger and going back to the OEM air box and an aftermarket panel filter like the K&N or maybe an HKS or similar.

What do people think? Is there a benefit to going back to the standard airbox? Should I reset the ecu again after I have done it - or will it learn how to cope with it's more restricted airflow?

You will gain a couple of HP going back to the OEm box, but only about another uprev. I think the difference you're feeling is more to do with auto vs manual than anything to do with the cars mods tbh.

Thanks chaps - weight issue had not occurred to me.

I also think the auto box may be contributing to the impression of whizz as it obviously nails every gear change and makes progress virtually seamless.

I reckon I'll have to see if I can dig the old box out!

• 10 months later...

Finally got around to doing this.

Refitted OEM air box today with HKS Hybrid panel filter. Cleaned the MAF sensor, Reset the ECU and off we went.

Haven't done a high speed run yet but the initial impressions are very encouraging. The car seems to rev much freer than it did before - certainly doesn't feel any slower and it still sounds pretty good.

I'll report in when I've been over the speed limit ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought one. Thought it was ace.

Three months later I binned it, as it's a pile of crap. Nothing beats your right foot in determining the amount of throttle you need.

Why did you ultimately bin it? Too artificial?