Spacer Woes ?

bytespc

See a little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing, during our meet today I mentioned my floaty feel on the front of my Z and it was pointed out that I have a HUGE size spacer on the front and that this is known to cause my symptoms, oddly though thinking about it I only noticed it after having the wheels balanced, Question can the spacer bolts become loose when taking the wheel off with a windy ?, should I return to said wheel emporium and insist they check ?.

I need help here guys :(

I have been reading several threads and to be honest my head hurts I think mine are 25mm ? the member with the info I cant for the life of me remember his name ( twin turbo Z ) did mention that maybe I should go smaller and having again read these threads it looks to me like Eibach are the way to go ? are they available in the UK or will I have to order online, obviously I will check my existing spacers for info as I remember at least one has visible specs.

I wouldn't have thought this would cause you any problems , I and loads of people run 20mm and bigger on the front and the only thing that I noticed was a tad more tramlining and not as sharp turn in . If you just whip the wheel off you can check the spacer nuts are all nice and tight .

OK sorry for being a noobie with this but having never had them on a car before its all new too me, should they also only fit one way as the one I took a picture of the writing is back to front ? , turned the pic before posting.

Your running low profile tyres with after market wheels ??

Are they the type of spacer Mitz has mentioned above??

Or have the wheel studs been changed ??

There seem to be too many ifs and buts on this one for me. If you are not totally confident/sure.

I would suggest you find a trusted independent garage near you and get them to check it out.

Or ask if there is a member close to you who can have a look. :)

• Like 1

May need a spigot ring.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/73-1mm-57-1mm-SPIGOT-RINGS-to-fit-VW-AUDI-SKODA-SEAT-/261533760762?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item3ce4a07cfa

(I don't know what size we need) But it's a little plastic ring that sits in the centre of the wheel to allow the hubs to 'slot in tightly'

I'd just take the wheel off and the spacers, then inspect and put them all back on.

Quick update..had my local independant check and all is as it should be, they think I'm suffering from front end lift at high speeds ( see thread Lift )

:scare: :scare: Eh ! What speed are you doing then....!! :scare: :scare:

Just found your post on "lift"... :surrender:

http://www.350z-uk.c...pic/89037-lift/

This has no relation to normal road driving and I don't see what its got to do with spacers...!! :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill

Yeah... it's a long story....it all began one bright sunny day on the way to Beaullieu ......a comment was made by another member ref the size of my spacers which as it turned out are not unusual at all ( they must have looked bigger in the sun ) and the instability of spacers was mentioned, now having already had my " RUN " etc I panicked....a little knowledge etc

Hence the start off this thread but without further data

So now having the data and all the info and help from this excellent forum we have a theorem :)

Just out of interest what tyre pressure have you got?

Don't start opening that can of worms. .....

There are tables on the US 350Z site about how much more air you need etc etc, then you have th UK suck it and see approach along with mucho derision of the Yanks thinking you need more etc etc etc etc it's simply put a bloody nightmare...

But fyi 37 all round as 35 was grinding the rims on these god awful british roads :(

I REDUCED mine down to 32 psi to stop it bouncing from pop hole to pot hole

not INCREASE the tyre pressure. Don't understand about "grinding your rims"

unless your running ultra low profile tyres even then you wont "grind your rims" at 35psi..!! :surrender: :surrender:

There are tables on the US 350Z site about how much more air you need etc etc, then you have th UK suck it and see approach along with mucho derision of the Yanks thinking you need more etc etc etc etc it's simply put a bloody nightmare...

But fyi 37 all round as 35 was grinding the rims on these god awful british roads :(

It's not a can of worms at all. In fact I am trying to help you.

You have asked for help and that's what I am doing.

One of the causes of floating or wallowing, is to little pressure in the tyres.

Bouncing around is to much pressure.

Sorry to have helped you.!!

Edited by 4RE Leather
  • Like 1

It's not a can of worms at all. In fact I am trying to help you.

You have asked for help and that's what I am doing.

One of the causes of floating or wallowing, is to little pressure in the tyres.

Bouncing around is to much pressure.

Sorry to have helped you.!!

Wasn't a criticism of you or your offer of help it's just the whole tyre pressure issue has been done to death over many threads and that is what I was alluding to , sorry if I've offended you in any way, was never my intention

unless your running ultra low profile tyres even then you wont "grind your rims" at 35psi..!! :surrender: :surrender:

My rims have a stainless steel outer lip and at 35psi it was catching the road .

My rims have a stainless steel outer lip and at 35psi it was catching the road .

What low profiles are you running..?? :surrender:

What low profiles are you running..?? :surrender:

30 .....the thing is I have no idea how old the tyre is what stress its been put through etc....judging by the nibbles on the wheels they have been run far too low in the past, I may just stick with it for now and then when funds allow change both fronts for new rubber.