350Z ALUMINUM INTERIOR VENT TRIMS

Got them fitted. It was an issue of temperature as people suggested. Ran the vents on hot for a few minutes, pressed them on and after a few minutes they are pretty much sorted. Not 100% on the edges, found that they cut in to your fingers if you're a bit on the clumsy side.

• Like 1

Got them fitted. It was an issue of temperature as people suggested. Ran the vents on hot for a few minutes, pressed them on and after a few minutes they are pretty much sorted. Not 100% on the edges, found that they cut in to your fingers if you're a bit on the clumsy side.

Yeah the edges are a little sharp, that's why I suggested knocking them off with a bit of 600's paper, better and easier to do before fitting ;)

Get something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DOUBLE-SIDED-ACRYLIC-ULTRA-metres-x/dp/B00H4F7PB6/ref=sr_1_45?ie=UTF8&qid=1481828947&sr=8-45&keywords=double+sided+tape

To re-fit:

Start the car and go for a 20 minute drive, get it warm.

Then:

I'd peel them off carefully, remove the old tape from them with a single sided blade (cut towards your chum not your thumb) once removed, clean any residue with white spirits. Then while they are off, rub down all the sharp edges with 600 wet and dry paper (use it dry) then wipe down again with the spirit.

Next apply the fresh tape and trim with the blade if needed. With the backing on, dry fit and bend to shape where needed so they stay in place/shape without the tape holding them.

Next, clean the vent with the spirit, dry off with a microfiber (don't just let it flash off) peel the backing tape and apply to the vent starting at the bottom and firmly press into place.

Wipe over with the spirit to remove greasy paw prints, then fire the car up again and go for a drive, get some heat through the vents and see how they are. Take the microfiber with you to apply pressure if they lift a little.

If they don't, then you can sit back and admire your work :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately mine have not remained suck down well, despite them originally looking to be fitted perfectly. They seem to be getting worse (presumably some additional dust gets in each time the corners peel). I am reluctant to use super glue etc and may need to try starting again with another fresh set.

Unfortunately mine have not remained suck down well, despite them originally looking to be fitted perfectly. They seem to be getting worse (presumably some additional dust gets in each time the corners peel). I am reluctant to use super glue etc and may need to try starting again with another fresh set.

Try some double-sided 3M tape:

Get something like this:

https://www.amazon.c...uble sided tape

To re-fit:

Start the car and go for a 20 minute drive, get it warm.

Then:

I'd peel them off carefully, remove the old tape from them with a single sided blade (cut towards your chum not your thumb) once removed, clean any residue with white spirits. Then while they are off, rub down all the sharp edges with 600 wet and dry paper (use it dry) then wipe down again with the spirit.

Next apply the fresh tape and trim with the blade if needed. With the backing on, dry fit and bend to shape where needed so they stay in place/shape without the tape holding them.

Next, clean the vent with the spirit, dry off with a microfiber (don't just let it flash off) peel the backing tape and apply to the vent starting at the bottom and firmly press into place.

Wipe over with the spirit to remove greasy paw prints, then fire the car up again and go for a drive, get some heat through the vents and see how they are. Take the microfiber with you to apply pressure if they lift a little.

If they don't, then you can sit back and admire your work :)

Cheers. Reapplying new adhesive tape to my existing trims is certainly an option, but given that it's only an £8 saving and presumably the tape that I would use is not likely to provide as comprehensive a coverage as custom stuff that comes on them, I'd probably be more inclined to just buy a new set. Unless you know of an advantage to this method that is..?

• 2 months later...