Phone Scam

Flex

So the other night some scamming mutha flocker rang me said he was calling from verified by visa and had I made 2 payments out of my account (he knew which bank I was with - could have been a guess I suppose). He then said I should call the number on the back of my card and inform my bank there are 2 fraudulent transactions on the account.

So Iooked online about this type of scam and seems it's not been discussed much on the internet for a while but basically they hope you'll call the bank from the same line and then get all your bank details as they leave the line open.

C@nts!

Just a heads up for you guys.

Edited by Flex
  • Like 3

I don't see how that's possible. If the line is open, then you cannot call out, so how could they still listen in?

I dont know but what else was he trying to do? Just what I read online dude.

I think he'll have been trying to coax you into giving him the card details on that call.

Have you called your bank about this yet?

No I didnt but nothings come out of my account untowardly.

Thats where only the gullible get caught. If you call someone from your landline and hamg up but they dont hamg up it stays connected. So you pick it back up and call the bank and he pretends to answer and be the banker etc.. Then you make the payment with your card details and your ****ed.

But the phone won't ring.

They have a recording of a ring, number options etc and some background office noise to coax you into believing it's real.

Sounds like you've got it down to a T :)

They have a recording of a ring, number options etc and some background office noise to coax you into believing it's real.

Sounds like you've got it down to a T :)

Before tax I worked for a card fraud prevention company, heard a lot about this scam!

But you'll pick the phone up and there won't be a dialling tone!

Honestly, if any one falls for that then they deserve it.

That's a bit harsh, what about the elderly?

That's a bit harsh, what about the elderly?

Panic makes people do silly things sometimes too I guess!

If they need that kind of help, then phone scams are the least of their worries I would imagine.

Even my nan at the age of 86 is aware of stuff like this. Hell, she's even quite happy using her netbook to Skype, although the iPhone we got her has her beaten! :lol:

• Like 1

Ekona, you are assuming people pick the phone up and put it to their ear before dialing! I'm sure many, particularly with cordless phone, just dial the number! Besides if the fraudsters are sophisticated enough to have recorded background noise surely it's possible they have also recorded a dialing tone.

Regardless they only need a very small percentage for something like this to be very profitable.