Little road trip planned

Will370z

Great pics!!!

Really cannot wait for the 16th of August to start our trip, going to do the Furka pass, Grimsel pass, Ottardo pass, Susten pass, Stelvio, basically any thing that looks twisty between Berne and Stelvio :)

Have even stuck a ugly GB sticker on already, I think am going to need a new hard drive in anticipation of all the photos am going to take :lol:

14753328571_841839bcb8_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

The link isn't working for me Phil :(
Does this work?http://s1078.photobu...4?sort=3&page=1
Not on my iPad but does on my Mac :)

http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/Philip_Oldale/library/?sort=3&page=0

^ that link works on both ;)

Are you the Phil that had the VX220 ?

Yep, wrote it off in Scotland after 6 months. I use the MR2 for track days and I have to say it's been very reliable, touch wood. Ken/Will were trying to persuade me to get a 350/370z. Maybe I'll have one for the European trip next year ;)

Yeah I bet the MR2 was just as much fun to be fair, but maybe not as good as a GT car like a Zed of either flavour ;)

Great pics!!!

Really cannot wait for the 16th of August to start our trip, going to do the Furka pass, Grimsel pass, Ottardo pass, Susten pass, Stelvio, basically any thing that looks twisty between Berne and Stelvio :)

Have even stuck a ugly GB sticker on already, I think am going to need a new hard drive in anticipation of all the photos am going to take :lol:

14753328571_841839bcb8_c.jpg

Lovely combo, love dark blue and cream/ivory leather :cloud9:

Nice pics there Phil. I'll start uploading mine tomorrow.

I have about 8 hours of video to go through too lol

For anyone interested in doing a roadtrip that way I'll put up a little post for tips and tricks and roads to visit.

• Like 3

Nice pics there Phil. I'll start uploading mine tomorrow.

I have about 8 hours of video to go through too lol

For anyone interested in doing a roadtrip that way I'll put up a little post for tips and tricks and roads to visit.

Please do mate, some of those pics you showed me looked epic.

Great pic Phil.

What Phil has neglected to mention is that all the in car moving shots are taken with a hand held camera :scare: and with the rear tyres screaming on the hairpin bends :lol:

Now, that walking get up of Wills B) had the hotel staff in stitches :lol:

Great pic Phil.

What Phil has neglected to mention is that all the in car moving shots are taken with a hand held camera :scare: and with the rear tyres screaming on the hairpin bends :lol:

Now, that walking get up of Wills B) had the hotel staff in stitches :lol:

Sshhhhh... nobody was supposed to know about that ;) There were some screaming tyres but I only took pics on the straights - for health and safety reasons :)

So what an adventure. 8 days, 9 countries, 2341.6 miles, driving for 59 hours and 32 minutes and it was absolutely awesome. Car was bullet proof and averaged 27.6mpg.

As many people are interested in doing a euro road trip i thought i would provide a description of our route, where we stayed and some tips. But first off i want to say a few thankyous.

First off a huge thankyou to Steve for the idea for the route, he went a week before us and we used his route as a basis for ours. It was amazing so thanks a million steve. Also a big thanks to Karl and Amy for the euro packs, thankfully we didn't need them but they were invaluable just in case - hope you enjoyed the meal.

And finally a big thank you to Ken and Phil for coming along for the journey and making it so much fun.

So where to begin:

Day 1: Guildford to Baden Baden

Our plan was to catch the ferry as early as possible and get to baden baden as quickly and as painlessly as possible. I wont put a route up for this, just follow your sat nav. On that point I have to say the connect premium was brilliant. It got us everywhere, avoided the toll roads, was easy to use, and found local fuel stops without issue.

We booked a motel in advance which was ok but really nothing to shout about, it was just a stop over ready for an early start the next day.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/de/am-rasthof-4-76532-baden-badem.en-gb.html?aid=303948;label=postbooking_confemail;sid=4501046da15ee8520003838573ba93e7;dcid=4;ucfs=1;srfid=a904ef1a37aa6758e886ef6969ab63b4754f4dd9X1;highlight_room=

Have to say the autobahn was fun. Its weird going over 100mph and its legal. A lovely Aston martin went flying past me so i smiled and decided to give chase. I could hear him from miles away and put my foot down. Gave up at 145mph though as i dont have balls of steel but the zed was flying and could easily have pushed on further. Had some fun back and fore with Ken and Phil on these roads. Today was the day of speed.

Tips:

- Book the eurotunnel rather than the ferry to avoid all the close parking - it was scary lol

- Book in advance to get cheaper prices

- Don't worry about the GB sticker on the back of the car - just have the GB euro plates. Also dont worry about the light reflectors so long as you dont drive at night. We got stopped at borders and no one raised an eye brow

IMG_2113_zpsf3299bdd.jpg

IMG_2116_zps6ed0a6bb.jpg

Day 2: Route 500 down to Glarus

The primary reason for stopping at Baden Baden was to follow route 500 down into Switzerland. https://goo.gl/maps/c1LIS . What a great road to start the tour. Route 500 takes you up high overlooking some lovely landscapes. Lots of sweeping bends and lovely views. http://www.ultimated...route_ID=20007. The best part of the route is the initial journey south from Baden Baden - don't miss this road.

Unfortunately the weather was a little drizzly but still very enjoyable.

IMG_2129_zps5b552ea4.jpg

IMG_2123_zps7a88e695.jpg

The road took us 6 hours south to Glarus / Nafles which was an ideal stopping point ready to take on the Klausen pass the next morning.

We found an amazing hotel near nafles prior to leaving and booked it because of the view.

http://www.booking.c...highlight_room=

I would definitely recommend this place purely for the location and the friendly hosts.

It was relatively cheap to stay but food and drinks were expensive. The road up to the hotel was interesting. The main road was closed and we looked lost but a biker who had followed us to Nafles stopped to help. When we asked him where our hotel was he looked up to the mountain towering over the village and said on top of that mountain. See those tiny bridges up there, you head that way. What a journey that was. Tight twisties right against the rock face and over tiny bridges with huge drops. But it was well worth it.

This was the view from my room

IMG_2134_zpsa48104b2.jpg

And a little video of the hotel and lake

http://vid1016.photo...zps02cd9b60.mp4

After a slap up meal and a walk in the mountains it was time for an early night ready for the passes the following morning.

Tip:

- Don't worry about high octane fuel for your zeds. Most of the petrol stations we saw had 95, 98 and 100 octane and they had garages like we have pubs in this country. They were everywhere.

Day 3: The passes

To be continued

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work Ken. Lots of happy memories and i cant wait for next year.

It reminded me to upload some more of mine - heres a small sample. Really must get the videos sorted too

IMG_2517_zpsbb6484ab.jpg

IMG_2510_zps2b2aa65e.jpg

IMG_2509_zps04e1d220.jpg

IMG_2503_zpsb7b7616f.jpg

IMG_2492_zpscebf3ccc.jpg

IMG_2487_zps1b6e1c24.jpg

IMG_2482_zps0fab0bfa.jpg

IMG_2470_zpsf859cc8d.jpg

IMG_2468_zpsb6c001a4.jpg

IMG_2458_zps45a205f2.jpg

IMG_2447_zps977c2d68.jpg

IMG_2441_zpsb43cbc55.jpg

IMG_2427_zpsb6702018.jpg

IMG_2426_zps498992e4.jpg

IMG_2420_zps09dab747.jpg

IMG_2418_zps9daa2d4f.jpg

IMG_2417_zps89decfde.jpg

IMG_2408_zps4f56070b.jpg

IMG_2397_zps3fd986e3.jpg

IMG_2395_zpse94f4da7.jpg

IMG_2390_zps660c2e05.jpg

Day 5 Leave hotel. This had to be the best value for money hotel we stayed at :thumbs:

SAM_0222_zpsc58e334d.jpg

Then there were 2, Phil had to start back to the UK. Something about a Music festival a tent and a girl :lol:

SAM_0228_zpsec241d8c.jpg

SAM_0231_zps47f7fa79.jpg

SAM_0232_zpsdd303fa2.jpg

SAM_0233_zps41336e72.jpg

SAM_0238_zpsfe77d854.jpg

SAM_0242_zpsad4c110c.jpg

SAM_0244_zps02e0875f.jpg

SAM_0245_zpsfe003be8.jpg

• Like 1