The inevitable slipping clutch

tommoger

So, on my way back home to York (from sunny Scotland) and as luck would have it my clutch completely let go on the A66, no power through any of the gears.

I've read up a bit on this and it seems to be a common issue. I have an '03 JDM Zed which just clocked 59k the other day. Hoping it'll just be a bog standard clutch replacement.

Would I be correct in thinking this? And if so what clutches would you guys recommend as a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Sucks when they just suddenly let go like that. Total for clutch flywheel and the labour is heading on for £1000, it's something im going through at the moment too but luckily caught mine before it let go.

Edited by cs2000

People seem to have different views on it. Some people have killed one in under 20,000 miles, others have lasted above 80,000.

You can tell if it's really going because it will slip if you put it in a high gear and plant the throttle whilst going up a hill. You can always also look under the car at the position if the clutch engagement fork and see how far it is extended to roughly gauge wear.

Update... The bloke I've left my car with just called. Zed needs a new clutch and flywheel but he'll only get parts from nissan directly and reckons the total cost of buying and importing a clutch and flywheel is... £4900 Is it me or is he attempting to bend me over and apply copious amounts of lube? I could buy a new Zed for that!

So back to square one, would I be fine with the Exedy clutch recommended above with a CC lightweight flywheel? Cheers for the help guys.

Update... The bloke I've left my car with just called. Zed needs a new clutch and flywheel but he'll only get parts from nissan directly and reckons the total cost of buying and importing a clutch and flywheel is... £4900 Is it me or is he attempting to bend me over and apply copious amounts of lube? I could buy a new Zed for that!

So back to square one, would I be fine with the Exedy clutch recommended above with a CC lightweight flywheel? Cheers for the help guys.

Yeah you will be fine with the recommendation from Clarky :thumbs:
  • Like 1

What a joke, only gets parts direct from manufacturers? How does his business still exist? If that's the case whats to stop you taking the car direct to Nissan to sort instead of him. £4900, you might as well write the car off - how utterly ridiculous.

The Exedy clutches are bang on identical to OEM, no problem when I had mine put in.

i honestly dont think he was planning on any lube at all, with that price he was going in dry! :scare:

• Like 2

i honestly dont think he was planning on any lube at all, with that price he was going in dry! :scare:

my thoughts exactly i don't see any lube at that price

i got a solid flywheel and uprated clutch from the states including delivery payed a tenth of that had to fit it but fitting don't come to £4400

The bloke I've left my car with just called. Zed needs a new clutch and flywheel but he'll only get parts from nissan directly and reckons the total cost of buying and importing a clutch and flywheel is... £4900

:lol: Now that did make me laugh.

I presume that it is the solid gold clutch and diamond encrusted flywheel which will be fitted by supermodels in bikinis under a constant drizzle of water and to the pumping sound of rap music, yeah?

• Like 3