Precious got a supercharger

ChrisB

Looking good Chris, see you put that little blue elbow on, (the enigma part), I think you'll find the 3.12 pulley will smarten things up but yes as you say remap next. Just out of interest its a tight thing to fill up the unit with the oil do you have that issue. Any chance of a photo from the top looking down at the fill up brass bung if you know what I mean? Looking at using a funnel and tube to get mine in? Well done mate.

Yeah, the dipstick plug is a bit of a fiddle to get to. US style 3/16" (iirc) AF Hex allen is the possibly best way - or a small socket on a bendy drive. TBH I've not got round to changing it yet - but it's due in the next week or so. My oil came with a spout - the filler plug is pretty easy to get to though :shrug:

Here is a guide if you need it :)

http://www.superchargersonline.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=55

Thanks Chris I was thinking it had to be filled from the dipstick plug (silly me) assumed because the top plug is vented it wasn't to be used for filling, much easier now. Noticed that the price on the Vortech site for replacement oil is the same as the site you mentioned above.

I'm not sure but it looks that vortech have 45 deg and 50 deg replacement extension dipstick plugs.

http://www.vortechsu...ge.php?id=30071

Good, thanks very much Chris.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After inflicting torture on the strut bar with wire wheels at the weekend, I soothed it with some Hammerite and lacquer. Finally dried and set, I put it back...

56126727-DE51-4277-985F-C79BFD2E52C8.jpg

Shame the Hammerite RED comes out ORANGE...

83FBC3DC-AE3E-409E-A530-9781D1104821.jpg

I wonder how long this will last...

3F5D36E4-DAFA-4C2C-AE35-950B573B5A17.jpg

Looks OK to me, but I'm biased and totally rubbish at art :lol: :lol:

• Like 3

After inflicting torture on the strut bar with wire wheels at the weekend, I soothed it with some Hammerite and lacquer. Finally dried and set, I put it back...

56126727-DE51-4277-985F-C79BFD2E52C8.jpg

Shame the Hammerite RED comes out ORANGE...

83FBC3DC-AE3E-409E-A530-9781D1104821.jpg

I wonder how long this will last...

3F5D36E4-DAFA-4C2C-AE35-950B573B5A17.jpg

Looks OK to me, but I'm biased and totally rubbish at art :lol: :lol:

I like it but I'm also rubbish at art coincidentally :)
  • Like 1

Like the ginger strut bar ends, :D ...does look good though seriously. B);)

Have you thought about changing the oil in the S/c yet?

I've got just over 500+ miles to go and then either I'm doing mine or I'm paying someone else to do it. :lol:

My main issue with doing it myself is that my driveway is very sloped so can't do it there and the garage which is level has no space for being able to jack the car up. PITA or what!. :dry:

• Like 1

Haha - ginger :doh:

I am being a bit naughty - although most of the winter I've been blessed with working at home, so not driving, I'm right on the 2.5k first S/C oil change point - so it's imminent.

On the plus side, it looks like a piece of p1ss - if you have a long 3/16" hex key, it's actually pretty easy to undo the fill and dipstick plugs. I have a fairly steep sloping drive too - scary b@lls getting the rear up, but front end stuff with wheel chocks and in gear/handbrake has always been fine so far for me. I promise to do this soon :thumbs:

I'm guessing my drive is probably at a 25-30 degree angle. Not really that safe to work on.

I'm going to have a look over the weekend anyway to see if I can get at the refill/dipstick plugs easily enough then make my decision. I might just end up asking my local trusted garage guy though as it's probably the easiest option (safest too).

I did ask Jez but haven't heard back yet. :dry::shrug:

In my mind, I can't help thinking that the S/C drain pipe could be accessible with just the left wheel off, then removing the splash guard and plastic covers (at least you could then keep 3 wheels on the ground)... but I can't find a pic in my collection to confirm that.

I want to go the full monty and get my front end up anyway for a poke about inspection, after we fell down a pot hole (more like a sink hole) last month :rant:

Yeah, the dipstick plug is a bit of a fiddle to get to. US style 3/16" (iirc) AF Hex allen is the possibly best way - or a small socket on a bendy drive. TBH I've not got round to changing it yet - but it's due in the next week or so. My oil came with a spout - the filler plug is pretty easy to get to though :shrug:

Here is a guide if you need it :)

http://www.superchar...page=page&id=55

Thanks Chris I was thinking it had to be filled from the dipstick plug (silly me) assumed because the top plug is vented it wasn't to be used for filling, much easier now.

Ok this is going to confuse matters I know but I've just watched a video on Youtube about changing the oil in the Vortech superchargers.

Link:

According to the video, from Vortech Superchargers apparently, you are supposed to fill the charger up via the dipstick plug. :dry:

Think asking Adrian (octet) or possibly DarrenB might give us the true answer. What do you think Chris?

I wonder if it matters :shrug:

Always good to find conflicting information on the internet :lol: I figured that you don't fill your engine (or any other gear case) up by the drain or dipstick, so... :shrug:

Also superchargersonline seen to think the same in their generic V3 guide. Vortech instructions just state 'change the oil' and don't specify or give warnings about which plugs. Certainly the top plug is much easier to get to with a spout.. In the video, he could have just changed via the dipstick hole as he already had it out - and they are demonstrating how un-cramped and trivial it is when the entire engine is out :lol:

:lol:

I don't think there is a panic. There's lots of service instructions on the net that use the fill/vent plug. It's all part of the same cavity :thumbs:

Oh well I've asked Adrian now anyway. :shrug:

Be a lot easier to fill from the top bung either way so lets hope it's ok to do it like that. ;)

Large turkey baister is what I used to jam in the oil.

That's cool but which bung hole did you jam it into please? :dry: I'd prefer to use the top hole as that's the easiest to get too. :D

Chris why don't you do yours in the top hole, ....if it doesn't kill your supercharger then I know I'll be fine to do it that way on mine. :lol:

This is you...

baby-guinea-pig-l.jpg

• Like 1

How about this - I'm going take my stick out and go for the difficult bottom hole by inserting a bit of firm pipe. If that is too hard, and I can't help spilling fluid everywhere, I'll give it a wipe and go for the easy top hole - hopefully not causing any contamination in the process.

;)

• Like 1

How about this - I'm going take my stick out and go for the difficult bottom hole by inserting a bit of firm pipe. If that is too hard, and I can't help spilling fluid everywhere, I'll give it a wipe and go for the easy top hole - hopefully not causing any contamination in the process.

;)

Sounds good, ...get some pictures of the process in action if you can. :teeth:

Whatever you do I'm just going to copy anyway. :lol:

Just make sure you get the full load in there, 4oz's worth. ;)