Precious got a supercharger

ChrisB

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. It looks like further modding and a long awaited paint refurb is going to have to wait.. Whilst we were watching our broken old dog like a hawk, the other good old dog suddenly almost died. Turns out he had a spleen the size of a football and managed to rupture it on Saturday.. Zero symptoms up till then.. :wacko:

107225DA-4FD2-4283-BC3D-990615A9E8EB.jpg

He's had emergency surgical treatment and is now home, but we will wait for tests to see what the prognosis is :scare: Here's hoping ;)

:yahoo:

Stress levels back to normal.. my dog only had lymphoma (that's considered not too bad as cancers go :wacko:) - whipped the spleen out, no sign of mets or anything - it looks like he'll live a normal lifespan (he's already going on 13).

Of course the remaining 'ouch' bit is, even with my staff discount, the bill is going to be a few *months* salary though :scare::( ...But there's no price too high for pets as they are family :thumbs:

And in other news, my car is going like a dream - full of beans at the mo :cloud9: I've nearly built up enough curiosity to go investigating loose O rings back in the fuel bucket again.

And I nearly finished refurbing my summer GTR-D dishes - I'm going to fine grit / polish and lacquer this time when it's warmer as the wheel seal and polish bare metal approach really didn't turn out well ;)

692a739b0c18d790c9e595a5098b3acc.jpg

:sorry: to all the wheel polishers out there.. neglect is this

b9d924bba36e47c5456b29c811ce8375.jpg

But even after a bit of grit paper and Autosol, they start coming back again..

14c70f63fa23d10a7b1448ae8d186db2.jpg

A bit more OCD and they'll come good :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Chrimble pressie to Precious was a new knob..

The old China eBay knob was getting a bit pitted (but it has to be said hasn't been bad for £20 considering other titanium effect balls go for $70 ! )

4B43DC28-0212-410A-AA4A-139869D12F33.jpg

Got a nicer Blox Limited Neo Chrome from :santa: Sportz. I'm keeping the old finisher for now. Shiny oily petrol blue might not be to every one's taste (love it personally), but I also quite like the infamous Gold wrapped R8 (innit) in another thread (all be it without the stripes) - so clearly I'm no arbiter of style :lol: :lol:

6F11D0B2-0324-41F3-A33A-E0070A7BF732.jpg

My independent car monitor side project hasn't progressed *that* far yet, although when the weather is better, I'll start fitting. Gentle winter driving is the order of the day up to then.

cbc16a365bed77b911383603e78be7c0.jpg

All the wiring from the sensors will be installed in the car via the firewall grommet leading to a big D plug. The D socket then connects to the micro controller, allowing for easy development. The mini TFT display will also be installed via the plug. Power will come from an extra fused supply, with series diodes to give polarity protection and a small voltage drop to be kinder to the regulator. Sensors are twin wideband AFR, MAP for boost/vacuum, oil temp via the port on the oil cooler sandwich plate, fuel pressure via the port on the Aeromotive FPR, extra IAT via a hole in the Vortech intake - TBD - and extra coolant temp, probably a via port coupling added to the top rad hose. I am happy with OEM gauges for other things.

Here is the Arduino Due micro controller with a veroboard 'shield' containing all the requisite resistors to form potential dividers with the sensors. I'm using 1% tolerance types (on the other side of the vero), so easily as accurate as anything off the shelf. I have full maps for non-linear and linear sensors, and have written code to convert these to real values. I will be making use of coloured numerics (and possibly trigger some kind of alarm) if any parameters go out of spec. There are plenty of options for active checking here. For a bit of bling I display a Japanese rising sun on startup :lol:

7bee92a6c664d1fdec0f20b4dc1821c4.jpg

:thumbs:

Hey Chris how are you getting on with this project I've used a prototyping shield for mine rather than vero-board I'll etch a board for it when i'm finished, I'm using an uno to control my turbo oil pressure (among other things AFR,Turbo temp and boost control) had a pig of a time trying to map the non linear pressure sender although got it pretty accurate 1-2 psi I'm not happy with how i achieved it how have you done it ?

Hi Chris, just having a catch up read after Andy bumped your thread ~ so sorry to hear about your dog not being well. Hope he's back to his normal self now. :thumbs:

Great work on the alloys btw. It's very rewarding seeing all your hard work come good in the end though. ;)

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

Cheers Andy - compared to your build mine's :notworthy::lol:

I've used lookup tables and interpolation for the non-linears. I considered curve fitting and using polynomials from a model - but that lead to silly orders of calculation to make it properly smooth. However, accuracy is limited by the tolerance of the sensors themselves - and analogue voltage drift is dependant on how good the Arduino's voltage regulator is, so kept it simple. If it's down to a couple of percent, that'll be fine.

I have a sensors base class which I then inhert from to make the same code work for different sensor maps. For the linears, its just y=mx+c using the given parameters. I bought my sensors from efi-parts, and their website has plots of characteristics. I have little limits in the code to set colour attributes etc.

Well in theory. I've been side tracked for a few months, so the code is in one working piece but not really finished and the hardware is built but not installed. I will try harder when I get a bit less distracted. :teeth:

Hi Gareth - both dog's are fine too which is the main thing :)

Dying from man-flu at the moment... I'm so over winter.

• Like 2

Cheers Andy - compared to your build mine's :notworthy::lol:

I've used lookup tables and interpolation for the non-linears. I considered curve fitting and using polynomials from a model - but that lead to silly orders of calculation to make it properly smooth. However, accuracy is limited by the tolerance of the sensors themselves - and analogue voltage drift is dependant on how good the Arduino's voltage regulator is, so kept it simple. If it's down to a couple of percent, that'll be fine.

I have a sensors base class which I then inhert from to make the same code work for different sensor maps. For the linears, its just y=mx+c using the given parameters. I bought my sensors from efi-parts, and their website has plots of characteristics. I have little limits in the code to set colour attributes etc.

Well in theory. I've been side tracked for a few months, so the code is in one working piece but not really finished and the hardware is built but not installed. I will try harder when I get a bit less distracted. :teeth:

Hi Gareth - both dog's are fine too which is the main thing :)

Dying from man-flu at the moment... I'm so over winter.

Sorry to hear about the man flu women just don't understand how bad it is compared to woman flu :lol:

As for your comparison of our builds i disagree i think you've done a damn good job :thumbs:

had to plot my own curve for the pressure sensor luckily i have a very accurate pressure gauge i did consider the polynomial route for the non linear sensors but didn't want to bog down the poor little processor so used a simpler equation to give good enough results worst error was 2 Psi i can live with that

what tft are you using ? i might to go over to tft myself at a later date but i think for now i'll just get it working with the 4 line lcd or i'll never get anything finished

Anyway keep up the good work i look forward to some updates

• Like 1

:lol: Gurgle. Kind words :thumbs:

I'm using one of these http://www.hobbytron...rial-display-18

Its a little serial chappie which can display different character sizes, colours, draw lines, circles and even display images from an sd card - just give it a command sequence and bingo. I've written a few classes to handle formatted printing with no hassle, and a Jap Banzi flag for boot up :teeth:

To be honest, the Arduino Due has reputedly 100Mips of performance - plenty to do any implementation really. I must revisit the code at some point. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's spring, it's sunny and I've got time off B)

I decided it was time to attend to the lurking issue in my fuel bucket. Symptoms were AFR starting to lose richness at high consumption rates / rpm / boost and a decidedly squidgy cold start (starts first time but she took about 6-7 cranks, then spluttered into life rather than bursting - although fine when running). The theory was partial loss of fuel pressure - probably the regulator plug O ring was leaking. So I went investigating...

I pulled my bucket out and apart, and carefully pulled the plug out and.. voila.. (the big O ring is correct and present but not in this pic BTW)

2452FB2D-670A-4266-90CA-15DFEC7CCE1C.jpg

The instructions said use the original O ring and spacer from the OEM regulator - the small one on the regulator was far to big IMHO to fit the plug groove - but in my kit there was no replacement, so in it went, and when I got grumpy with it first time round, it obviously split.

A new more appropriately sized O ring fitted from my £7 box of O rings and..

2C2306B0-8F40-4FCC-BDD9-F0F1F36DD0D5.jpg

Bunged this back in, making especially sure it went correctly in the hole this time..

27581588-B5A0-4673-AC0E-D6BE06FA80E4.jpg

I put the new revised (smaller hole and proper thread) elbow in too..

6E12EDEE-E6C3-477C-BC28-93AEFA540CC3.jpg

All back together nicely, with a brand new tank O ring and with a bit of dynax S50 where the petrol flood took the tank paint off :lol:

84D04423-0B74-44E6-8473-4445B2A2D532.jpg

Idle pressure back to where it should be (it was gradually sinking over time, down to about 40 PSI :scare: and FPR adjustment didn't help with a bucket leak..)

57C37FAF-64BA-49E6-A095-66673B7D14E2.jpg

Starting is cured and properly positive - when I go back to Abbey for a re-tune if I change to the 3.12 pulley, all should be well. This should also fix the kink at the top of my 3.33 power curve - got to be worth the extra missing 20 HP for a nice round 400 hub-HP (440 estimated fly-HP like the Vortech V3ers out there) :thumbs:

As part of the sensors project, I added a fuel pressure sender (whopper)

4169C85F-2D8C-4385-A179-8AAB7B453C19.jpg

Then just as I was going to continue with sensors wiring, I got side tracked in a really bad way. Many MANY hours later with a mains powered Black & Decker and a couple of wire wheels, this happened..

B6F2FF20-2CA3-4B0B-82DB-A854E5F2DED3.jpg

So these strut bars go shiny - who knew? :blush::lol:

Polishing.. :surrender::yawn: ..that is all.. ;)

• Like 2

Yeah - how do you do that on an iPad or Mac? Je sui un software engineer and I can't seem to work it out :blush::wacko::lol: *

* gonna be obvious now I've said that :doh:

Not exactly sure as I don't use/have an Ipad or Mac but on my laptop I'd just go to "edit post" (1st post), then use "full editor" to alter the thread title. ;)

• Like 1

Looking good Chris, see you put that little blue elbow on, (the enigma part), I think you'll find the 3.12 pulley will smarten things up but yes as you say remap next. Just out of interest its a tight thing to fill up the unit with the oil do you have that issue. Any chance of a photo from the top looking down at the fill up brass bung if you know what I mean? Looking at using a funnel and tube to get mine in? Well done mate.