Precious got a supercharger

ChrisB

For today's merry installment..

Tuesday: Parcelforce delivered the Osiris cable at 5:17pm in the dark and rain, so Wednesday was binned and Thursday booked. However, I hooked Osiris up, my JDM ECM serial number was read and Mark prepared a CD405/Abbey base map which approximately includes my mods.

Wednesday: Rain has stopped, the base map is now downloaded, and my car is alive again. I have checked for any new leaks, and piddle - thats what I thought when I saw fuel spraying out of the fuel pipe to AAM fuel port coupling. An O ring had split (the only one I tried to re-use - yup replace 'em), so not having one spare, had to walk into town (raining of course) to buy a few. Everyone loves a Zed superchargerer it seems as the motor store gave me 3 o rings for free! Also needed was a slightly fettle of the ptfe thread sealer tape around the gauge.

AA2A0706-7F4B-4591-A636-F039A785D525.jpg

That fixed, I re-checked levels and hose fittings, burped and topped up the coolant and had to go for a little test ride. All is well, and she's running smoothly so far :thumbs: Good things are coming ;)

I will buy Osiris Tuner as it gives unlimited write capability to one ECM, plus access to a lot more information.

I am still sticking with the 3.33 pulley for at least a few months, to see how we go. This should give a target around 400 hp though, so mine may look a bit less than the other group buy s/c zeds on the dyno graph money shot... we'll see.

Next stop Surrey :thumbs:

BTW I completely ballsed up painting my strut brace :doh: I can install a supercharger, but can't paint for toffee :lol:

Yep. I didn't want to hunt for leaks last night in the dark and rain before an early drive, then possibly get stuck. At least one clear day for test before tuning/travel is vital. Fortunately Abbey could do a swap with someone :)

How can you fit a supercharger/fuel return system/intercooler/radiator fans etc etc etc, ..but not be able to paint a strut bar?!! :dry::lol:

What on earth did you balls up on then Chris?? touch it whilst it was still wet? painted it in the wrong order? come on what was it? :teeth:

:blush: Well there was the absent minded primer between coats event I mentioned earlier, but then there was the moving the bar from the kitchen work surface :ninja: trying to be careful, having it flip over and stick to the bubble wrap it was on, then adding more paint too quickly due to impatience, causing runs... then after fitting, as it was still a bit soft, dropping tools onto it (and a nice bonnet print when setting up the length - :doh: ) which resulted in it being beyond gash. So I got a gasket scraper to it :lol: I will have another go at painting after tuning when I'm not on a mission.

There, now you know. Dirty washing aired. :thumbs::lol:

• Like 1

How annoying, after just typing a long post, my iPad iOS8 crashed :dry:

So, as I was saying, I have just come in, said hello to the dogs, and sat down.. update time (I know Abbey have wifi - but I was a tad preoccupied)

Well this was a grand day out. I arrived months early as the M25 traffic was fine - good move getting there before 7am though. I sat next to Mark through the entire dyno process :teeth: Mark is cool. I nervously said "..she's my baby.." he said "don't worry, now she's my baby too" :lol:

Before we start, I haven't won the "who's got the biggest horse power award" but I don't mind one little bit. My car showed itself to have a good solid engine - there was no sign of knock and timing is sound.

My build does have a minor issue though.. This is after all first time out for my car as a complete system - the odd bug I don't mind at all. We think that the AAM fuel bucket mods might be doing something funny at the top end. If there ever was going to be an issue, it was going to be with that bit :rant: I have a hockey stick in my AFR graph, restricting the ultimate amount of love she can give at the moment.

Either there is an issue with the O ring that goes around the end of the plug/nozzle causing a leak - it was a biatch to install into the hole, or the large hole in the union is a problem. In cmck13's car, Abbey used the new smaller hole union we got and re-tapped the plug to make it fit. Good idea. I didn't think of that. Apparently, an issue with the plug causes just this effect and has been seen before. I am going to have to get back in there for fuel bucket release 2.0 if I want more than current performance (won't be today though ) I did think at the time that its impossible to know if the O ring was seated properly. Abbey recommend CJ systems.

Enough of the bucket talk, I almost forgot to mention my Top Trumps score on a 3.33 pulley was 380.1 hub hp. We could have chased 400 hhp but it might not have been pretty ;) and I'm very glad we didn't go for the extra numbers. So with a nominal 40 hp added for drivetrain etc, it's an estimated 420 flywheel hp (max). I doubt before mods and tuning that my engine would have been producing the OEM 276 fly hp, so an increase of ~240 hhp up to 380 hhp max is stonking. Even on 3.33, boost was 9.63.

Also, importantly, on top of the torque multiplier, FI gives the mother of all UpRevs by straightening out the map and bringing in breathing mods. Honestly, it was like riding an electric drill on the way home ...and the drama of siiinnnggg....grrr....swwwooosh is just brilliant :teeth: She wanted to fly.. I had to be boring daddy and tell her about speed limits and being responsible :lol:

I've bought Osiris Tuner too. For an extra £150 it seemed like a great idea - more info and the ability to twiddle knobs - including eTune via Mark if I set up AFR logging with my pair of Zeitronix.

Learnt some cool stuff - a good DE can go to 7000 RPM without exploding :scare: Mapping is quite an art form in addition to science. Abbey and Mark are Leonardo in this respect. Also, the car's temp gauge tells nonsense. It didn't budge above normal - but we measured way hotter. I am definitely adding a second coolant monitor I think.

We also noticed that intake temps shoot up. Obviously, volume and pressure are directly related to temp (gas laws innit), even though the Vortech is efficient at moving air. Perhaps a bigger intercooler, as suggested in a different thread could be a good upgrade. High intake temps are not good as this is one path to detonation and horrors in the cylinder head (we put on all the additional cooling to keep temps in check).

Yeah, bonzer. These are strong cars. Having said that, the pistons could have thicker ring bands around their tops - it is possible for the skinny OEM pistons to crumble bits off :scare: but that is usually in the context of very high hp territory and applies to the HR engine too. Infact, the HR has longer rods so is slightly more prone to that type of damage, where as rods are more likely to get bent in the DE.

Personally I'm happy with my 380 hhp temporarily reduced by revs a touch due to my bucket issue.

Nothing went wrong. Winter is coming. Love a bit of drama :lol:

5C36C911-5ED6-43B6-8811-3F85957F30F5.jpg

2364E403-2C71-4193-A44F-92CF487FE3AC.jpg

94D3277C-AE11-46BB-A850-B51F3F954962.jpg

77039BDF-74CA-418B-8DE5-175EF20E80B8.jpg

• Like 6

I'm just having a perv at some of the other results.. 380 hub hp is only a shade less than Gareth's 436 fly hp if you estimate in 40hp conversion.. Mines got some kind of leak and is on a large pulley. That says good things to me :lol:

Not that I am comparing and all (cars and winning races - whats that all about? Surely not :lol: ) but I am ecstatic! :yahoo:

Oh and Gareth .. :stir::bleh::lol:

I'm just having a perv at some of the other results.. 380 hub hp is only a shade less than Gareth's 436 fly hp if you estimate in 40hp conversion.. Mines got some kind of leak and is on a large pulley. That says good things to me :lol:

Not that I am comparing and all (cars and winning races - whats that all about? Surely not :lol: ) but I am ecstatic! :yahoo:

Oh and Gareth .. :stir::bleh::lol:

Great news Chris and glad all went well & you're pleased with it. :thumbs:

Oh and from what I've heard it's supposed to be a 30hp conversion difference so na na na na nana. :p

Anyway neither of us are anywhere near Vlads Zed at the hubs so we're both too slow to keep up with him. :surrender::lol:

• Like 1

Haha - I also saw a 17% drivetrain conversion stated*... that would make it 445 fly for me and 362 hub for you :lol: Estimates eh?

But yes Vlad has the biggest :lol:

* early on in the dyno thread

Edited by ChrisB