Anyone else on the board learning Spanish?

twobears

I have an app called talking translator which I find very helpful. I speak into the phone and its translates and speaks back to me in Spanish. It will do any language from Arabi to Swahili. Its great fun but also invaluable when you travel. Its also free. :)

I tried a long while ago, and hate learning languages under tuition. So I thought about doing it subconsciously in the car. I left the CD running continuously, I have to say it worked, but the CD wasn't really geared too much around basics.

I can speak of small requests, but not conversation.

Although I've forgotten a heap of it.

• Like 1

I have an app called talking translator which I find very helpful. I speak into the phone and its translates and speaks back to me in Spanish. It will do any language from Arabi to Swahili. Its great fun but also invaluable when you travel. Its also free. :)

I've got a translation app on my iPhone too and it can be useful but I really want to learn enough to have proper conversations because I'm living in Spain at the moment. If it was just a couple of weeks holiday I wouldn't be trying so hard!

I tried a long while ago, and hate learning languages under tuition. So I thought about doing it subconsciously in the car. I left the CD running continuously, I have to say it worked, but the CD wasn't really geared too much around basics.

I can speak of small requests, but not conversation.

Although I've forgotten a heap of it.

I've really improved since I started twice weekly private lessons with a tutor here. I can now read pretty well, got an Agatha Christie in Spanish on the go but my spoken Spanish is still very rudimentary.

I loved Spanish at school, it was one of my favourite subjects (been some time since then though!), I'm determined to pick it up again one day.

Vix, I wish I'd learnt it at school but French was the only language on offer and I loved that. You should take it up again soon so you can talk to me :)

It looks and sounds like Spanish but there are some accents I don't recognise (stresses on words not how the words are spoken) and one or two words don't seem like Spanish, or at least not Castillian which is all I'm learning. It's quite a simple song, as are most pop songs though :) They just want you to put your hands in the air, move your body and definitely not be tired, ha ha. They also ask if you can overcome the power of the sea. Presumably with that boat, they can, unless they run aground!