Here we go again... Cant select 1st gear when Cold?!

SkylineV35

Ok recently over the past few days on cold start it wont go into first or reverse gear, and when it finally does go into 1st second third and everything feels sticky and mechanical. But thereafter when engine is near operating temperature it is as smooth as butter. What could possibly be wrong now? I fitted clutch slave cylinder and braided clutch line. Also the gearoils were recently changed and molyslip added. This gear selection in cold has never happened before. Car has just hit 30000 miles if that means anything. I also regreased the selector with white grease as I thought that was causing the mechanical noise. Its just wierd how it runs fine when warm but cold start it doesnt want to go into any gears?! Could it be that I have over adjusted the clutch and its not releasing properly or something?

Advice please

Change gearbox oil and put in a tube of molislip also change the clutch slave cylinder and maybe fit braided hoses.

all available from Clark Motorsport.. :pmclark: End of problem.

Good to see you read the whole post :headhurt:

Already changed gearbox oil and added molyslip, and suggesting a new slave cylinder & braided lines will not help it being notchy when cold

Edited by spursmaddave

Change gearbox oil and put in a tube of molislip also change the clutch slave cylinder and maybe fit braided hoses.

Already changed gearbox oil and added molyslip, and suggesting a new slave cylinder & braided lines will not help it being notchy when cold

I'll get my coat.. :scare: :scare::surrender:

The 70 is notchy in the morning

Yes, mine is too

It will engage reverse & 1st ok & all other gears slip in but is a bit tight to get 2nd until it's warmed up a bit, I was concerned at first but as others have said once warm it's smooth as silk, thought it was me at first as I'd driven autos for the last 6+ years, I've got used to it now I take extra care when changing from 1st to 2nd until she's warmed up

:byebye:

:lol:

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 1

Mine does the same when cold. Spoke to a couple of mechanic friends and they suggested the gearbox oil also.

However, all I do now is start the car 2-3 minutes before im ready to set off and by then, its warm enough.

Problem Sorted!

Wrong gearbox fluids fitted.?

Air in clutch hydraulics ?

Wrong clutch pedal adjustment ?

Alex. :)

Ahh just the man..

I got the fluids and molyslip from your guys at Clark motorsport along with braided hose and slave.. so im assuming they got me the right stuff =)

As for air I drained out all the old fluid and refilled and bled till there was no bubbles at all did the old fashion way pumping pedal etc.. so definately no air. =)

As for adjustment I will re-adjust today thanks! :)

Ahh its ok I know you were trying to help :p

• Like 1

Mine does the same when cold. Spoke to a couple of mechanic friends and they suggested the gearbox oil also.

However, all I do now is start the car 2-3 minutes before im ready to set off and by then, its warm enough.

Problem Sorted!

Yeah but when I had my car in scotland through winter I never had this problem at all, and if i bought a car like a zed brand new and had this problem I would be very shocked lol.I will give the adjustment another try and let you all know how i get on.. if not il probably get a remote start for it lol any excuse :lol:

Wrong gearbox fluids fitted.?

Air in clutch hydraulics ?

Wrong clutch pedal adjustment ?

Ahh just the man..

I got the fluids and molyslip from your guys at Clark motorsport along with braided hose and slave.. so im assuming they got me the right stuff =)

As for air I drained out all the old fluid and refilled and bled till there was no bubbles at all did the old fashion way pumping pedal etc.. so definately no air. =)

As for adjustment I will re-adjust today thanks! :)

"So definately no air" How many times have I heard that: :lol:

• Like 2

I think Wills point with these is that it usually fixes the floppy pedal issue that the OP is having also. But, those items have also recently been changed and so are not the issue.

I think the floppy pedal is because of the pedal adjustment, if by that you mean you adjusted the pedal to sit lower. It's common for this "issue" after the adjustment and it's the same in my car, but doesn't cause any problems so I haven't bothered fiddling with it.

As for the main problem here, I have no idea. Usually when this issue arrises, changing the fluid and adding molyslip cures it, so I'd go with Alex's suggestion about air and maybe get it bled at a garage?

• Like 1