Gutted the Zed might have to go for sale

StevoD

Mate that's terrible news what you doing with your wheels???

:lol:

Sorry mate in all seriousness I hope you can work something out to keep her

Best of luck from here on in :thumbs:

Oh and it maybe worth posting what type of role you do as you never know other zedders may know of roles available!

Projects Coordinator in a automated hardface welding firm

Get your cv up to date and get it loaded up to monster.co.uk and totaljobs websites, then potential employers can come looking for you. Things will work out. I was made redundant last year. I had been at the company less than a year so no redundancy pay entitlement. As soon as I got wind of the site closing, I did the above and I was fortunate enough to get out of there before it closed. I am now happy in my new job, and have already been promoted, so things can change for the better.

I still get emails everyday from employment agencies offering me attractive jobs. I always read through them, just as a back up plan really :)

Good luck

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think redundancy is counted the same regardless of whether it was voluntary or not. If you just quit your job for the sake of it, then I think in that case there is a time period you have to wait before you can claim.

Either way, you need to call up the JSA people ASAP after you finish as your claim will only go from the date you call them and they dont back date it. Its been a while since I was last made redundant but I seem to recall they wanted to know how many weeks my notice period was, and as it was 1 month, I could only claim JSA after that 1 month was up - i.e. work is effectively giving me a months pay arnt they after I leave.

IVe been made redundant 2 or 3 times in my career and it can be a bit scary, but ive nearly always been able to find some sort of work quickly. Redundancy pay isnt taxed, so you effectively get more cash than normal and if you can find some sort of other work, you can end up with a nice bit of money in the bank.

It really depends on how fussy you are. Last time I was made redundant, I went from a £50k a year job in IT to working on a building site as a labourer for £50 a day all summer until I could find another IT job. Have to say I loved it. Allowed me to destress from what had previously been a job I hated, I got really in shape and got a cracking sun tan too. I also learnt new skills which helped me around home when it came to DIY. It also meant I didnt need to sell off any of my toys and my redundancy pay sat in the bank and actually went towards more toys when I got another better paying job.

The one thing I will say is that I went down my local job centre and the people who worked there were the rudest most horrible people ever. They treated me like I was something they had stepped in. Having worked all my life and never claimed any JSA before I was amazed at their attitude. It was like they thought I was some dossing scumbag who didnt deserve a penny. After about 2 or 3 visits to the job centre I gave up and signed off as it just wasnt worth the hassle.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Feel for yer matey as its not a nice experience.

I got made redundant back in Feb after 13 years of blood sweat and toil so guess i must have upset someone as it was only me they were letting go...lol

We are selling up and moving to Cornwall and looking at doing some B and B. Time to chill out after 33 years of non stop work filling someone else`s pocket.

Yes the house price difference from greater London to the South West helps and i`m 50 so financially things are more settled as all the kids are grown up now.

For me its been a positive thing and a chance to do something new ( cant remember when i last slept this well ) so try not to let it get you down. :thumbs: Something will turn up in the end or you will make it into what you want.

• Like 1