Differences between the 3 different 350z engines

undecided

Hi Everyone, hoping to move over to a 350z soon so I thought I'd join up.

I had a search about but couldn't find this info so was wondering if anyone could help...

I know there are 3 engines that have gone into the 350z over the years (original 276bhp engine, newer 300ish engine and the new 310ish engine), could someone list the various specs of the engines side by side so I can see the differences, eg rev limit for each engine, peak power rpm point, peak torque rpm point etc.

Doubt I'll end up getting one of the very newest ones but would be useful to have the main differences between the first two to compare and decide if it's worth the extra cash to get one of the 300s. I seem to remember the 300ish engine had a flatter torque curve and the bhp didn't drop off quite so quick in the rev range?

Managed to find much of the details elsewhere but can't seem to find rev limits anywhere, only seem to have max bhp points.

It seems to always be a compromise

power/litre ->reduces the torque

(You loose low down grunt but you get higher power at high RPM)

(Note Hondas... high power/litre engines but next to no torque...)

Because you get more power up top, you have to rev the car slightly higher ( you do get a higher rev range...) , revving higher=more fuel consumption...also means having to rev harder from a standstill i think...

For this reason I think my 280 is the best engine of them all... :p:p:p

This should be what you're looking for.

specs.jpg

That's a really useful chart and the sort of thing I was looking for but as you can see there's no max rev range listed hence the main reason for my post (can anyone confirm that they're definately 6500, 7000 and 7500 as WoREoD stated?)

I'd be coming from a high reving honda so while the extra torque of the 350z is good I don't want too low a rev range to cut the 'fun' short too quickly if you know what I mean.

Looks like the 300ish engine might be the best bet, I know they first appeared in the GT4 but at what point did they make their way into the standard cars (05 sometime I think?), is there a VIN number difference / any other slight change that would make spotting them easy?

ps I do know about the 'rev up, oil down' issues with this engine but if I could find one that's shown no problems up to now I guess it'll stay ok and not develop the problem?

Finally, I seem to remember that at one point the standard model had the 280ish engine and the GT had the 300, is this true or is my mind just getting mixed up with the GT4 model (quite likely)?

thanks veryone you've been really helpful so far. :clap::thumbs:

The 296bhp became standard in the MY06 which is distinuishable by different interior and front and rear light clusters (although some earlier cars have had the light clusters fitted retrospectively by their owners).

MY06 centre console does not have the heated seats switches in the elbow position!

It seems to always be a compromise

power/litre ->reduces the torque

(You loose low down grunt but you get higher power at high RPM)

(Note Hondas... high power/litre engines but next to no torque...)

Because you get more power up top, you have to rev the car slightly higher ( you do get a higher rev range...) , revving higher=more fuel consumption...also means having to rev harder from a standstill i think...

For this reason I think my 280 is the best engine of them all... :p:p:p

That's true, coming from a high reving honda you do have to rev it quite a bit to get the most out of it, this is great fun but a little more torque down lower in the range would be nice for when you're trying to be more 'sensible'. The 350z has much more torque but I was quite supprised at how little bhp they managed to extract from a 3.5 engine, I suppose that's the price you pay for wanting torque and staying NA (not that the 350z suffers too badly, it's still fairly quick even though it weighs quite a bit).

If I end up keeping the honda a little longer I might kpro it for a bit more torque while saving up the extra for a newer GT4 / 300ish engine car, really wanted to make the switch soon but maybe holding off and saving more for the 300ish engine rather than the 280ish engine would be more sensible, decisions decisions

The 296bhp became standard in the MY06 which is distinuishable by different interior and front and rear light clusters (although some earlier cars have had the light clusters fitted retrospectively by their owners).

MY06 centre console does not have the heated seats switches in the elbow position!

anyone got a couple of pics they could show me side by side so I can see the differences?

Only been inside a 55 plate for a test drive (which was good and confirmed it's definately the car I want next), haven't seen the earlier interior 'in the flesh'.

Would go and have a look at some earlier cars locally but I've broken my ankle in 3 places (+ dislocated and snapped tendon etc), it's obviously in plaster and as it's my right foot I don't think I'll be test driving anytime soon.

This is the 06MY interior. Someone else will have pics of the 04 i'm sure.

350Z003.jpg

thanks, looks good :thumbs:

I'm guessing those buttons just behind the gear stick are the ones that are further back on previous models and can therefore be caught accidentally by an elbow?

PS how do the taller members get on with their 350Zs?

I'm 6 foot 4 and with the seat all the way back I could drive it but there was a fair bit less leg room than my current car. Didn't get a great deal of time to play with the seat but with the seat all the way back it was ok.

I've since thought that maybe if the seat was all the way back, all the way down at the back yet raised up a bit at the front (think you can adjust the height at the front and back), that might support my legs a bit behind the knee area and make life easier? (leg would be bent more rather than straighter).

Not sure really, need a seat to play with a bit to get the seating position right I think. What seating setups have other taller members set them to and how do you get on? Are you perfectly comfortable or just willing to put up with a little less legroom than you'd like due to the car being what it is?

IMO apart from MY07 all other engines are in esscence playing with power bands: more torque lower rpm, lower torque higher rpm with not much difference in overall performance.

ps though I would say that owning an 04 model :D

Louis (Sl114) is at least your height and I don't think he had any probs with the seat.

Yep i am about 6'3'' i usually say 6'2'' but i think im taller. I have no problems at all. The seat was always right back and i had plenty of room, even for heal and toe ;)

Louis (Sl114) is at least your height and I don't think he had any probs with the seat.

Yep i am about 6'3'' i usually say 6'2'' but i think im taller. I have no problems at all. The seat was always right back and i had plenty of room, even for heal and toe ;)

how's the seat set? is it down at the back and up at the front, level, or is the seat up high? maybe you don't have a problem if you've got slightly shorter legs, to be honest it's not much of an issue but a fraction more space would've been good. I'm sure it's something I can sort with a couple of minutes playing with the seat adjust, certainly wont put me off buying one.

anyone got an interior pic of an 04 to compare?

You have to remember also that the electric seats are higher than the manual adjust seats... because of all the gubbins underneath...

You sit much lower on the manual seats... I checked it with LeTanks Zed and Mine...

I sit ON the car and he sit IN the car, and he's taller than me....