OTT?

So, arriving back from a day out with the wife and son, I find that a property maintenance van has parked in not only the neighbours space but part of mine. Fine, i'll do the best to squeeze my car in, but on doing so, there’s not enough space for me to open the door or my wife to get out, plus can't get the baby car seat out. This is all quite annoying but hey ho, I’m old enough not to make a song and dance about it and get the baby out before parking the car back in its space and had to get out of the passenger’s side.

Now I’m in my house and I can see the maintenance man turn up, open the back doors of his van, then pauses as he can see he can’t get in from the driver’s side so gets in from the passenger side. He reverses, gets out, starts checking the side of his van –which I imagine is for damage to which there was none- then gets back in his van and makes a phone call and starts taking photos of my car (a golf tdi). I go down stairs and ask him:

Why are you taking photos of my car?

I didn’t

No, I’m not asking you if you did, I know you did because you raised your phone as to take a photo from numerous angles. I’m asking you why, why did you take photos of my car?

But I didn’t

No, I’ll say it again. Why, did, you, take, photos, of, my, car?

I can do what I like

Yes, and no more than I can do what I like and I’m not saying you can’t, which is why I’m asking you the question, why are you taking photos of my car?

But, It never took the picture, it didn’t work

Ah, so now you did take a photo when you said you didn’t, so how can I believe you now?

Honestly it didn’t take

Fine, o.k

By this time, I know I’m not getting anywhere so I go back inside. I look out the window and what’s he doing? taking a photo of my car. So I go back out and he drives off. I get in my car and I follow him through town until he stops down a side street. I pass him and turn around, drive up to his van get out and take photos of him and his van and his Reg No. I give him the thumbs up and drive off. I call the company from the number of the van and explain the situation, I was polite and diplomatic. As it turns out the lady on the phone I was talking to was his wife who explained as there was a close proximity parking situation and, not having enough time to check for any potential damage, he probably took a photo. I said that was fine and if he had said that in the first place then I wouldn’t’ve thought that his behaviour came over as suspicious I mean, why would anyone take a photo of your car, after checking to find there's no damage?

Because he wants to make a false claim? I have no idea.

Was I unreasonable? I would like some opinions from outside the box if possible.

Edited by Rock_Steady

See, I don't see the other guy in the wrong at all, apart from parking like a knob.

I can totally see why he took pics, just in case there was damage that he hadn't seen the first time. Perfectly sensible thing to do, although denying is a bit daft but he probably didn't want the confrontation. Stalking him and then phoning the company is a bit

OTT, don't really see why you'd bother tbh.

I see your point Ekona and I appreciate it. But I would understand if I had caused some damage to his vehicle but I hadn't. He also checked and could see that I hadn't. I don't know why but it bothered me that he took some photos anyway.

Perhaps it got the better of me

Edited by Rock_Steady

exactly, I wasn't saying he was doing anything wrong, I didn't tell him it was not permitted. It's the fact he denied it that made me take it further. Like if he was trying to take me the showers some how. Call it childish but if someone has got photos of my car then I want photos of theirs. If they make a claim against me atleast I have some form of evidence to say otherwise. Having said that, I don't think anyone could get too far with just a photo.

Edited by Rock_Steady

Was with you all the way up to the following him around town moment! To be honest he was daft for denying it, then doing it again, I mean surely he should have known you would be watching. Idiot. I take it he didn't apologise for parking in your spot. Drives me mental in our area where parking is at a premium, we all pay resident permits which are not cheap and you get people taking the pass just parking anywhere knowing that if they get a ticket their company just pays for it. What it does mean is I end up parking half a mile down the road.

Bit odd that you followed him to be honest, that's more concerning behavior than taking pictures in a public area.

I thought that. A while back had just picked up a new car (merc at the time) and I took a wrong turn (blame sat nav) ended up some drive with a few houses, after turning round as I drove back out a transit drove straight at me, had to stop, this bloke got out looked in my car window! Had my 3 kids with me, started asking what I was doing, I explained (kind of politely ) that's it was nothing to do with him, anyway next junction he's behind me taking pictures, I was livid (in hindsight not sure why..) anyway before I could do owt he was off, still not forgotten it.. Nor heard anymore..

Yeah, my wife said it was an over reaction, so it's not just her that thinks that I was a bit OTT. Thanks for your points of view people. It helps me bring things into perspective and makes for a learning experience. If something like this ever happens again - which I hope it doesn't - i'll approach it differently.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 2

Even if you weren't being, confronting someone could be seen as aggressive, which is probably why the van driver lied to you. Following him and then sarcasticly taking photos is about the most passive aggressive thing I've ever heard.

What if the van driver had felt threatened and thought that he needed to defend himself?

Even if you weren't being, confronting someone could be seen as aggressive, which is probably why the van driver lied to you. Following him and then sarcasticly taking photos is about the most passive aggressive thing I've ever heard.

What if the van driver had felt threatened and thought that he needed to defend himself?

fair point, something I hadn't appreciated at the time, but I don't think that asking a question about my vehicle in a calm manner could be misunderstood as intimidating. Me taking photos of his van could only be as intimidating as him taking photos of my car. Edited by Rock_Steady

fùair point, something I hadn't appreciated at the time, but I don't think that asking a question about my vehicle in a calm manner could be misunderstood as intimidating. Me taking photos of his van could only be as intimidating as him taking photos of my car.

I'm not going to labour the point as you seem to appreciate that you did overreact... it's none of my business either and I'm far from perfect... However, him taking photos of your car while you weren't there (At first), is very different from you following him and making a point of taking photos.

Incidentally, how far would you have followed him? Would you have done the same thing if he'd pulled up at his house with his family? I'm guessing not.

Anyway, don't beat yourself (Or any van drivers) up about an overreaction! :) No harm done.

• Like 1

I remember once when I was in the Zed, a group of youths threw a glass bottle out of the window which smashed against a lamppost and rained glass into the car (roof was down). I saw red, followed them through town to get enough info and then call the police. Pulled over to make the call, and they also pulled over and four guys got out and came over to the car whilst I frantically tried to raise the roof to avoid a pasting.

We all spoke calmly about it in the end and went our separate ways, but really I got lucky. I've learnt my lesson now, and I'll simply get briefly angry then move on, life's too short to deal with nutters.

• Like 2

Chill out dude......relax!!

I confronted a lorry driver...point was he scraped my whole car down one side in a garage forecourt

He came at me with fists raised ready to give me a smack...I back-pedalled smartish until he calmed down and was able to communicate verbally!!

You never know how people are going to react in a confrontation

I remember once when I was in the Zed, a group of youths threw a glass bottle out of the window which smashed against a lamppost and rained glass into the car (roof was down). I saw red, followed them through town to get enough info and then call the police. Pulled over to make the call, and they also pulled over and four guys got out and came over to the car whilst I frantically tried to raise the roof to avoid a pasting.

We all spoke calmly about it in the end and went our separate ways, but really I got lucky. I've learnt my lesson now, and I'll simply get briefly angry then move on, life's too short to deal with nutters.

unfortunately I could be the nutter. definitely something i'm going to reign in

OkxX2FNvbmZ4FFhe8Pp5JhJo4PAgihul4ejZTTY85bHxJN1oP5DgJffpbJdlEqM3.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely reign it in a bit if you can.

Been there, ..had some road rage incidents myself and tbh life's just to short. You do end up either thinking what the hell was I doing or dwelling on what you didn't do.

At least you're a big enough man to admit it to yourself. Be safe, keep safe. ;)

• Like 1

Definitely reign it in a bit if you can.

Been there, ..had some road rage incidents myself and tbh life's just to short. You do end up either thinking what the hell was I doing or dwelling on what you didn't do.

At least you're a big enough man to admit it to yourself. Be safe, keep safe. ;)

You're right GM, need to stroke the beard a bit more before I act.
  • Like 1