Switchable Power off for OBD - Question

Wasso

I'm going to be running an ipad mini in my dash and will be running my "Dash Command" on the ipad. The plan is to have my wifi OBD unit permanently plugged into the OBD port. Issue with this is the power is always live to the port.

What would you suggest to allow me the option of keeping my wifi unit continually plugged in the OBD, but say for instance in turning the key the OBD comes live.

Cheers :thumbs:

you would probably have to dismantle the port and splice the live wire to your ignition not sure how easy it would be but thats my initial thought

Ahhh yes I that's not a bad idea to be fair.

See, I knew somebody would come up with a good answer in the end :thumbs:

Ian, I have had my OBD2 WiFi reader permanently plugged into the OBD port for 2 years without any problem.

Ahhhhh that's interesting to hear, that would save me blowing up my ECU in trying to bodge a wire. I'd still have a bash to be honest but will give it a test running permanently plugged in.

Ken which OBD wifi unit do you have?

Mine's the same. Overnight, when I use it daily, no problems (it's an iOBD) but when I was away last year for a week it killed my battery. It's not until recently that I learnt it was on a permanent live :surrender:

Defo worth a test before you start ripping things out :lol:

Hadn't given this a thought.have had a micro OBD plugged in for a few weeks connected to an Android tablet.

Drive the car most days depending how often I work from home and so far been fine.

Will defo unplug when away for 2 weeks in August

Hi Ian, I killed my battery in 10 days on the 350 when away as I left it plugged in

You should be able to wire it into an ignition live but it may be easier to just splice a toggle switch into the permanent supply, this is what I am going to do on the 370

I had a strong feeling the OBD plugged into a reader would do the nasty.

I'll figure it out, I know Graham is a techno whizz I'll hook him up to the job ;) (that's if he's willing)

Ian as you know I don't use the zed as a daily drive, in fact it can be left in garage for weeks without being moved.

This has never caused me a problem.

The OBD2 reader i have is a ELM327 interface if that helps

Ian as you know I don't use the zed as a daily drive, in fact it can be left in garage for weeks without being moved.

This has never caused me a problem.

The OBD2 reader i have is a ELM327 interface if that helps

Ken is that Bluetooth or Wi-Fi?

I wonder if you could mod/get something similar to those BlackVue Power Magic things for their dash cams, they basically deactivate it if the battery voltage runs too low to stop you draining your battery when the car is sat for a while.

http://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.php/online-shop/blackvue-accessories/power-magic-detail

Edited by Jp606

It's Bluetooth, I have the same ELM327 as Ken. The Bluetooth ones don't appear to be live when the ignition is off, I've left mine plugged in for a few weeks without running the car and it was fine.

Maybe my battery was low in the first place then as I had the same one.

Ok I'm on Wi-Fi wonder if that makes a difference.

I may just tamper with the wires to be fair. See what happens. What's the worst that can happen, Car doesn't start? fire? etc.....

When my battery died, I bought a new one from Halfords for £110. Car sat for about 2 weeks without being used with the iOBD2 plugged in. Battery was completely dead when I next got in, not even a light on.

The iOBD2 is WiFi as I'm sure you know, so maybe that has something to do with it. If it can kill a brand new powerful battery in a couple of weeks, it must be draining quite a bit of power searching for the phone all the time or something.

I have a Y adaptor fitted to my OBD port so I can have the iOBD2 and throttle controller both plugged in at the same time. Is that an option for you? You could place one port somewhere thats easily accessible so you can easily plug the reader in when you get in?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBD-II-Splitter-Extension-Female-Adapter/dp/B00F5T0VHI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401149368&sr=8-3&keywords=obd+y