spray paint help please

hensh65

Hey guys.

Decided I would spray paint my karting helmet 2 tone. I have sprayed my engine bits so I am okay but not great. I preped the helmet fine and tape off the line that segmented the two tones. Prime, multiple coats of top layer with perping in between then multiple layers of clear coat. Finish looked pretty good and was pretty chuffed. Now time to remove the tape.

This is were a not bad job turned to terrible. I peeled them off and it looks like the layers that had formed onto of the tape were joined with the part that had to be sprayed meaning it ruined some of the lines and just looks plain nasty.

What did I do wrong other than doing it in the first place???

Do you mean you lifted and tore some of the paint as you peeled back the tape?

If that is the case you left the tape on to long before removing, if your doing join lines in paint then you should use feather edge masking tape and you take it off at exactly the right time (the "exactly" is what makes a good pro painter)

The paint cannot be so dry that it tears (as I think yours did) but it cannot be so wet that it either runs or shrinks back after you remove the tape.

If it makes you feel better I've got it wrong a few times - I tend to take it off to early though :(

Try a practice piece or 2 and time it see what works - also depends on paint if your running a 2k with a fast hardener then flash time is 10 - 15 mins - out of a can it's is still quite quick mainly because the layers are so thin.

The only other thing that would cause that is poor prep or adhesion - if all the layers of paint lifted then the primer didn't grip - you get different primer for different surfaces, acid etch for ally, plastic primer, even "flex" primers and they do make a difference (don't use an etch primer on a helmet of course it may weaken it :scare:)

Hope that helps

God luck :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Thanks keyser!!

I think my prep could have been better even though I did take my time. I did leave it way too long before peeling it off as it had set alongside the paint that wasnt supposed to come off!!! It was always going to be slightly rough so need to work out what needs to be done to rectify it.

I imagine because its only for karting I dont need to worry about it being weakened!

I imagine because its only for karting I dont need to worry about it being weakened!

It's your Head :lol:

Just be careful you do want it for protection not just looks.

• Like 1

It's your Head :lol:

Just be careful you do want it for protection not just looks.

I really want to say I've never seen anyone come off one and hit their head but I know for a fact ill do it after saying it :lol:

You cannot use normal paint on crash helmets, as it WILL weaken them.

I'd throw it away and get a new one, then get that painted professionally. Seriously, I wouldn't use that again, it's not worth the risk.

• Like 1

I know Dan its not ideal but I am more likely to get blisters on my hands that head out the kart head first. I'm sadly not in twin engine karts or anything!

I kept one side the orange it already was and done the other side metalic purple. Turned out not bad but the joins between the rubbers and vents are bad :(

Tbh you might as well not bother wearing a helmet mate, if that's the case.

I agree the risk is minimal (no different from wearing a helmet on a trackday), but if push comes to shove I wouldn't want something flawed protecting my noggin. A good helmet is under £100 now, too cheap to worry about compromise. :)

Colours sound lovely though, def be worth doing properly on a new lid :thumbs:

• Like 1

Have to agree with Ekona ~ used to do a fair bit of karting at a local karting centre.

Once saw a young guy flung out of his kart at probably only 20mph odd into some metal polls just off track. Without a good helmet he would have been seriously f**ked so regardless of twin engine 250cc's or just the single engined kart's nasty accidents can still happen.

Motorsport is dangerous as it always says at tracks/circuits everywhere.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEARN-HOW-TO-CUSTOM-SPRAY-PAINT-MOTORCYCLE-HELMET-TANKS-DVD-MOTOR-CYCLE-PAINTING-/261481001955?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item3ce17b73e3

Maybe useful. :D;)

• Like 1

My son works at a cart track.

It's the cart that 'mounts' your cart that causes the big head injuries.

You need water based acrylic paint not celly or 2pac as they can react with the gel coat.

Now go buy a new lid. :p

• Like 1