GoPro 3 HD vs my accident camera

So I've got one of those cameras, which records everything in case of an accident, so you can use it to prove fault. I'm just wondering how the GoPro 3 HD compares with regards to running on track. Here is my vid, can people please give me advice. Not sure if it's worth investing in one, on top of this. Depends on how much better it is. Cheers.

JapFEST 14 10:42 Track session:

May sound daft, but it depends on the speed of your computer as to how you can set a GP to record.

There is a saying in the states. "Another guy who's bought a $200 camera and now needs a $3000 rig"

If you have a very fast processor in your computer you can use the GP on top quality.

If not you will have to set the GP at a lower quality setting or you can't process it.

(I am no expert Dip, but I did some/a little research for Liam my son.)

Depends what you want, I use a cheapo waterproof £50 job for jet skiing. It does the job, Will,Colin,Darren and Graham have seen the quality of that and I think they will say it's pretty good.

Also I think most hosting sites downsize them ??

(This is all useless info,if you need to show them on a projector because then you need dogs danglies of quality.) :lol:

My latest vid from Spa, on a HDH3:

Make of that what you will. For me, I would say the ability to change the position of the camera at will makes it worthwhile, especially if you're going to experiment with video editing afterwards.

If it's for sharing on youtube I'm sure they compress what you upload anyway. IMHO I wouldn't think it's worth the leap from what you've already got until 4k is an option at similar money. Everything will go 4k, so if you can get that at a decent frame rate, then at least your covered off for a few years.

May sound daft, but it depends on the speed of your computer as to how you can set a GP to record.

There is a saying in the states. "Another guy who's bought a $200 camera and now needs a $3000 rig"

If you have a very fast processor in your computer you can use the GP on top quality.

If not you will have to set the GP at a lower quality setting or you can't process it.

(I am no expert Dip, but I did some/a little research for Liam my son.)

Depends what you want, I use a cheapo waterproof £50 job for jet skiing. It does the job, Will,Colin,Darren and Graham have seen the quality of that and I think they will say it's pretty good.

Also I think most hosting sites downsize them ??

(This is all useless info,if you need to show them on a projector because then you need dogs danglies of quality.) :lol:

This, I borrowed a GoPro from a friend, when I got home, my PC hated the Software, I have a pretty high spec PC (It needs sorting due to a few issues atm :lol:) but each time I went to convert to edit it would kill my PC, as if I had a power cut.

Took it to work and used my laptop at work (A lot lower spec than my PC) worked fine, all be it very slow, it got there in the end.

Go Pro studio does convert it to a Youtube friendly format, but it's the 1st conversion which is the PC killer.

I record all my stuff in 1080/30, since YT always converts to that anyway it seems pointless to record in anything higher just to watch on my on PC. The fun for me is sharing the video with friends, not watching back what I've already seen at home on my own.

Means I can get 3 hours onto a 32GB SD card, which is pretty much an entire day on track.

• Like 1

Really like my Hero3 GoPro, but have little to compare it to. It does 4K but not at 25 or 30fps from what i remember.

Clarity is bound to be better on the GoPro. But it's a lot of dosh if you dont use it much. I have mine for surfing, mountain biking, karting, snowboarding, etc too.

Free software for it has got better, but still a little buggy for me. There are alternatives you can use if you look into it.

Edited by Toothy

My latest vid from Spa, on a HDH3:

Make of that what you will. For me, I would say the ability to change the position of the camera at will makes it worthwhile, especially if you're going to experiment with video editing afterwards.

Clarity does look amazing! However, just one question Dan... Where do you keep your handbag whilst on track? :p

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

go pro all the way, got a 3+ black and although i have not used it on the track i have used it everywhere else, the quality is 2nd to none and you can use it for so much more, the underwater quality is also very good.

For me i wanted to get something that was an amazing piece of kit that wouldnt go out of date in the blink of an eye, yeah they bring out new version each year but i have a friend who is still using his hero2 as he does a lot of snowboarding and its still going very strong and giving him great results ;0

One bloody photo, that's all Dave took, and now it's a permanent feature :(:lol:

There's only a certain type of guy who can pull off the look in that photo Dan, I wouldn't let it bother you, shows your totally comfortable with yourself. Chicks love that. ;)

• Like 1

I watched your video yesterday Dip, and I was impressed with the quality, and the fact that it records your speed as well as date/time etc. Useful to watch back after a track session. I was going to ask what camera is it that you're using?

I watched your video yesterday Dip, and I was impressed with the quality, and the fact that it records your speed as well as date/time etc. Useful to watch back after a track session. I was going to ask what camera is it that you're using?

Blackvue dr500. Says so on the bottom right of the video.

Blackvue dr500. Says so on the bottom right of the video.

Cheers. Sorry, I missed that bit