Good time for a new TV?

sipar69

The room we watch TV in is quite small and I prefer not to be too close to a large screen or have it dominate the room.

Yes, my son in law had a 50" TV in a room no more than 12' x 14', just looked absurd. Our living room is 23' x 15' so a 50" looks just about right :) .

Pete

We have my 50" Sammy plasma in our 10x12 conservatory and it is the perfect size. We sit about 2 meters away from it and it is perfect for the room. Takes a few days but you forget it is there. One of the earlier posts mentioned a 4k 42" tv coming soon, I genuinely wouldn't bother with anything 4k less than 55 inch, I just don't think you will get the impact that the pixel density deserves.

I couldn't agree more about smart tv functions. I pay for screensize and quality of picture. If I want apps then I have my media centre hooked up to the tv which I control with the TV's original remote or my mobile. If I want youtube then use the Virgin media Tivo box youtube app and using googles own controls link my phone to the tv then I have the ability to control the feed to the TV and queue videos, same would go for Netflix if I had it. Anything else I just use my phone for. I'd be interested as to who really really makes use of smart functions

• Like 1

Forget LED/LCD/Plasma/Smart TVs....

Get down to John Lewis and check out the OLED sets from LG/Samsung. The difference in picture quality is unbelievable and probably the biggest improvement I've seen in years (Even including the 9th gen Kuro panel I had for a short period). They had the Samsung OLED panel next to a traditional LCD LED panel and my wife pointed to the older panel and asked me 'Have they set up this one to look bad on purpose?', that's how much better the picture quality of the OLED panel is compared to the current LED LCD panel....and the biggest test, when I said am thinking of buying one and pointed out the price difference between the panels she didn't object :)

The holy gril will be a OLED super/ultra HD panel, it's going to cost buckets to make/buy but it is coming.....So unless you Really Really need a new TV I would be patient and see how quickly OLED prices drop. At £4-5k current they are a toy for the super rich but I don't think it will take more than 12-24 months for them to hit £2k at which point am having one :)

Edited by gangzoom

Just went to check on OLED prices, the LG launched last year at £8k!!! When I saw the set in John Lewis a while back it was £5k, now you can pick one up for £3.5k......Got to love the world of mass production quick prices can drop....so hopefully £2k OLED panels will be with us in 12 months:)

Edited by gangzoom

I think I read recently that Sony is abandoning OLED to focus on its Ultra HD stuff. No idea though - I'd certainly be interested in OLED if and when it becomes affordable.

Forget LED/LCD/Plasma/Smart TVs....

Get down to John Lewis and check out the OLED sets from LG/Samsung. The difference in picture quality is unbelievable and probably the biggest improvement I've seen in years (Even including the 9th gen Kuro panel I had for a short period). They had the Samsung OLED panel next to a traditional LCD LED panel and my wife pointed to the older panel and asked me 'Have they set up this one to look bad on purpose?', that's how much better the picture quality of the OLED panel is compared to the current LED LCD panel....and the biggest test, when I said am thinking of buying one and pointed out the price difference between the panels she didn't object :)

The holy gril will be a OLED super/ultra HD panel, it's going to cost buckets to make/buy but it is coming.....So unless you Really Really need a new TV I would be patient and see how quickly OLED prices drop. At £4-5k current they are a toy for the super rich but I don't think it will take more than 12-24 months for them to hit £2k at which point am having one :)

I would definitely be in the market for an OLED TV as and when they become affordable, but I'm probably going to plump for an LED Ultra HD (even if just for the upscaled HD) in the meantime since I realised the prices have really started to come down. If I get one in the next few weeks I'll post impressions of the difference between it and my current Sony LCD.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so quick update on this thread. I researched quite a bit and having read some quite bad reviews of the budget 4k TV from Samsung (hu6900) and some very good reviews of the higher level hu7500 I decided to go for that one instead. I've moved from 40 inch to 48 inch, which seems perfect for our front room. I also invested in an LG sound bar.

All I can say is TVs have moved on an awful lot since I bought my Sony LCD. It's hard to take a snap that shows just how good the picture on this TV is. HD content looks phenomenal and the small amount of 4K material I've viewed is something else - incredible depth and detail to the image.

Here's a snap of Game of Thrones on Sky HD. Definitely worth looking at these sets if you're thinking of getting a new TV any time soon.

imagejpg1_zpsb81db158.jpg

• Like 2