Really angry...

Rock_Steady

I was working for Honda at one point and they wanted me to drive a lorry full of new bikes to a dealer early 4am one morning and setup for an open day. At the time I didnt have a car, so I got on my motorbike only to find it had a flat battery. No problem thinks I, i`ll just push start it... on my patio.. whilst half asleep. So I run along pushing the bike, pop the clutch only to have the bike take off like its doing the 1/4 mile, dragging me behind it.... straight into the back of my house.

The bike ended up with smashed up bodywork, headlamps, headlamp bracket, clocks, bent forks, dented wheel. I ended up with bruises. Neighbours were watching out of their back window wondering what the hell I was doing at 4am. Still, it could have been worse, if it had been 1 foot to the left it would have smashed through my patio door, dragged me through the dinning room / living room and smashed into my 42" plasma in the corner of the living room. I would not want to try to explain that to my house hold insurance company.

Edited by rabbitstew
  • Like 2

This is actually a true story. When I was 23 I foolishly bought a Lotus Europa from a garage in Alderley Edge. It was 2 years old 23k on the clock and factory built (most came in kit form back then). From day 1 I had numerous problems that required constant attention but after I'd had it for 4 months the brake pedal started stiffening up and it became so bad that I had to hook my foot underneath it to get the brakes off :scare: . I booked it in to Mangoletsi in Chester for a service and for them to fix the stiff brakes. When I got it back they showed me that they'd drilled a hole through the outer sleeve of the pedal and applied a ton of grease to free it up. I should add here that on that car the pedal stems were on the floor and not tucked away under the dashboard, in other words they rotated from the footwell. Anyway, all was well again until a few weeks later. I was on my way into work on nights and a bit late as usual. The road into the steelworks was quite unusual being a private dual carriageway. Near to the steelworks entrance there was a roundabout and the road split with a weighbridge in between the dual carriageway. Anyway, I'm clocking along around 70 and approaching the roundabout but when I applied the brakes....my foot couldn't find them, in desperation I moved my foot around but still no pedal, I slammed it into 3rd and hit the roundabout at about 50 mph. I didn't actually hit the roundabout which is a good job as the kerbs were about a foot high and somehow or other got round it finishing up in the middle of the weighbridge road. When I'd calmed down sufficiently I could see what had happened, the split pin holding the pedal in place had dropped out and the pedal had dropped onto the floor. Fairly obvious that the mechanic who fixed the braked hadn't opened the split pin properly. Without doubt the most frightening moment I've ever had.

Pete

• Like 3

This is actually a true story. When I was 23 I foolishly bought a Lotus Europa from a garage in Alderley Edge. It was 2 years old 23k on the clock and factory built (most came in kit form back then). From day 1 I had numerous problems that required constant attention but after I'd had it for 4 months the brake pedal started stiffening up and it became so bad that I had to hook my foot underneath it to get the brakes off :scare: . I booked it in to Mangoletsi in Chester for a service and for them to fix the stiff brakes. When I got it back they showed me that they'd drilled a hole through the outer sleeve of the pedal and applied a ton of grease to free it up. I should add here that on that car the pedal stems were on the floor and not tucked away under the dashboard, in other words they rotated from the footwell. Anyway, all was well again until a few weeks later. I was on my way into work on nights and a bit late as usual. The road into the steelworks was quite unusual being a private dual carriageway. Near to the steelworks entrance there was a roundabout and the road split with a weighbridge in between the dual carriageway. Anyway, I'm clocking along around 70 and approaching the roundabout but when I applied the brakes....my foot couldn't find them, in desperation I moved my foot around but still no pedal, I slammed it into 3rd and hit the roundabout at about 50 mph. I didn't actually hit the roundabout which is a good job as the kerbs were about a foot high and somehow or other got round it finishing up in the middle of the weighbridge road. When I'd calmed down sufficiently I could see what had happened, the split pin holding the pedal in place had dropped out and the pedal had dropped onto the floor. Fairly obvious that the mechanic who fixed the braked hadn't opened the split pin properly. Without doubt the most frightening moment I've ever had.

Pete

was that the lotus or renault engine ? cracking story and I know that road

Pete

:scare: I just shat myself reading that!

• Like 2

Pete

hmm Mangoletsi ? Nuff said! Where there is blame there is claim all I can say! Just as well you walked away from that one! :surrender:

Pete

was that the lotus or renault engine ? cracking story and I know that road

It was a Renault engine 1470cc. Mine had an engine conversion by a company from Stoke called Else, added a further 10 bhp. The road is indeed still there although I don't think it serves the now much smaller Steelworks. It was revamped in the 90's and renumbered A548 (I think) although the road is still known as Weighbridge Road.

Pete

Not me but my mate had a really scary experience.

He decided to change the steering wheel in his Clio for a nice after market wheel. Did all the work himself and I could tell he was pleased with his efforts. :D

Couple of days later he tells me how he almost died the other day. :surrender:

Driving a local sweeping hill section and giving the renault some welly the bl**dy steering wheel came off in his hands. :scare: Driving at 60mph+ he had to try and shove it back on to the steering wheel splines. Ended up going back on luckily and he managed to stop safely but that was the end of him ever doing anything on his car again bar changing a bulb. :lol:

• Like 4

giving the renault some welly the bl**dy steering wheel came off in his hands. :scare:

Must be a common Renault trend. I remember doing a 3 point turn in the driveway once at my folks house and the steering wheel on my renault 5 sheered clean off. Half left on the splines other half in my hands. Was really glad i wasnt out on the road doing 60mph.

giving the renault some welly the bl**dy steering wheel came off in his hands. :scare:

Must be a common Renault trend. I remember doing a 3 point turn in the driveway once at my folks house and the steering wheel on my renault 5 sheered clean off. Half left on the splines other half in my hands. Was really glad i wasnt out on the road doing 60mph.

:lol:

Good ol' Renault. ;) Wonder why I haven't seen a 5 in over a decade? :dry:

Because you aint been looking hard enough.....I have one here if you'd like to buy it!

Edited by 350zedd
  • Like 1

I see one every day as i still have mine in the garage, but your right, ive only seen a couple of on the road in the last 10 years.!

• Like 2

I once had the gear lever snap off on my Lotus in Chester. Really cheap job was the gear lever, it was bolted on to the linkage, which was the spot where it failed. I got it home quite easily though, removed the gear knob surround and put my hand into the tunnel to change gear :) . I also had the throttle linkage snap on me, luckily in my driveway and an engine mounting break resulting in the clutch cable falling out and having to drive home from Rhyl with no clutch. It was the poorest build you could imagine with Lotus sourcing the cheapest parts possible, for example the rear bumper was off a Ford Anglia, the interior door handles were off the Morris 1100/1300 series and several of them broke on me. The speedo packed up, the gearbox was making strange noises and it had a host of other problems so when somebody offered me £450 for it I bit their hand off :lol: ,

Pete

• Like 1

I was driving my Alfa 156 up to a give way junction, and seeing there was no traffic to stop me turning left, I dropped down out of third to carry on. The engine decided to stall, but more worrying than that the steering wheel locked.. I frantically braked hard whilst struggling to get the wheel unlocked, and managed to finish in the middle of the road, covering both lanes. :scare:

Fortunately nothing hit me, but I did get one hell of a shock.

• Like 1

I once had the gear lever snap off on my Lotus in Chester. Really cheap job was the gear lever, it was bolted on to the linkage, which was the spot where it failed. I got it home quite easily though, removed the gear knob surround and put my hand into the tunnel to change gear :) . I also had the throttle linkage snap on me, luckily in my driveway and an engine mounting break resulting in the clutch cable falling out and having to drive home from Rhyl with no clutch. It was the poorest build you could imagine with Lotus sourcing the cheapest parts possible, for example the rear bumper was off a Ford Anglia, the interior door handles were off the Morris 1100/1300 series and several of them broke on me. The speedo packed up, the gearbox was making strange noises and it had a host of other problems so when somebody offered me £450 for it I bit their hand off :lol: ,

Pete

I repeat since I went Jap cars I have never looked back!! Stick with Jap and proper made in Japan not made in France, Spain or Romania !! :)

I had a service and MOT on my Scirocco at a local garage about 20 years ago. Paid up, jumped in the car, turned over the engine (again without checking if it was in gear). It was in first and I drove through the wooden fence in front of the car and into an old lady's garden.

She was sat in the garden at the time (fortunately nowhere near her unexpectedly exploding fence) and boy was she not happy.

Garage took responsibility (even though it technically was my fault) and replaced her fence for her, which was good of them. Not a mark on the Scirocco either.

Guess what I do twice every time I get in the car these days?

• Like 1