Replace Clutch Over £1000

keithvmx1200

I really don't know why you are surprised that a clutch is approx £1000? Its a 1.5 tonne car with a 300ps engine, the clutch is always going to be expensive. People buy these cars because they are cheap, but the running costs are the same (if not more) than what they were when the car was new.

Why are you so surprised?

I am surprised that it needed a new clutch at 40,000 mile's and surprised that a new flywheel may be needed to be replaced as well.

Perhaps the previous owner was a local Traffic Light GP Champion, hence the clutch is near the end of its life.

Also, consider your own driving style. Do you do full power set offs often?

Similarity, when you change brake discs, you also tend to change the pads at the same time, even if they still have some material left, it's just one of those things, plus unless you haven't picked up on it yet, it wouldn't make sense to pay the same labour twice for two different jobs if you you can do both jobs and only pay labour once

Edited by BulletMagnet

I really don't know why you are surprised that a clutch is approx £1000? Its a 1.5 tonne car with a 300ps engine, the clutch is always going to be expensive. People buy these cars because they are cheap, but the running costs are the same (if not more) than what they were when the car was new.

Why are you so surprised?

I am surprised that it needed a new clutch at 40,000 mile's and surprised that a new flywheel may be needed to be replaced as well.

Unfortunately you do not know how the previous owner(s) have treated the car. If the car has been hammered for even a fraction of those 40k miles it will drastically reduce the lifetime of the clutch. And with it the lifetime of the flywheel.

As said above, if you pay the 3 hrs labour to get the clutch out, why not pay the extra for a new flywheel too. Otherwise if you notice flywheel issues in anotehr £10k miles it's a further 3 hours labour to change just the flywheel.

False economy and all that.

£800 is about right for supply and fit from a good indy. Some will chance their arm, and you will get quotes around £1000.

Why do you keep saying you're surprised? It's a sports car, it's heavy, as Lexx has said you have no idea how previous owners drove it, from experience we all know that it is wise to replace the flywheel too, you could of course, ask the garage to make a judgement on the condition of the flywheel when they drop the box and go from there.

We supply either a replacement DMF for £345 or a Competition Clutch lightweight SMF for the same price. Should not add to the labour charge as its just a few bolts and they will be in there anyway.

You would think it wouldn't cost extra Ewen. But I recently (Saturday), had a quote to replace the clutch, which they supplied, I then asked the question "Would there be any additional cost to fit the flywheel at the same time" response was an addition 2.5hrs charge.

Guess they wont be getting my business ......

Would you mind telling me how much the quote was to replace the clutch.as I have been quoted just over £1000. :rant:

Sorry bud missed your post on request for price.

So. They STRONGLY advised a competition clutch (god knows why, the car is standard and never goes on the track), full clutch kit was £440 (ex flywheel) and fitting a further £270, so total of £710 drive in and drive out, but bear in mind this excludes the flywheel, and the price from them ranges from £231 to £350 (LUK DMF).

Also, you could save a good few quid on the clutch kit as our traders are talking around £330 for the Exedy.

HTH

Just been confirmed my 350Z is the HR version and as such to replace the clutch is £1036.16 and the cost of the Flywheel is just over £1000 without fitting. I have also been told my gearbox does not sound so

good between 1st & 2nd gear so another big expense.I have wrote to the dealer asking for all of my money back seeing that I had the clutch slip the first time I did a fast overtake just three weeks after buying the car.

Did you not do any research before buying the car? Like running costs, potential costs for repairs just so you have a rough idea? Would have thought it'd be common sense.. I mean why would you spend that much money and not understand basic costs of it? Seems mad really, you've only just found that you have a HR 350 as well? No disrespect to you, just curious and probably not the only one thinking it.

Edited by tomdotc

Did you not do any research before buying the car? Like running costs, potential costs for repairs just so you have a rough idea? Would have thought it'd be common sense.. I mean why would you spend that much money and not understand basic costs of it? Seems mad really, you've only just found that you have a HR 350 as well? No disrespect to you, just curious and probably not the only one thinking it.

When you pay almost £12000 for a 6yr old car with only 40.000 miles on the clock you do not expect to be paying out over £2000 3 weeks later.I did investigate running cost's Petrol,Tax,insurance etc but did not look up the replacement cost on every part of the car besides which the cost for any item can vary by as much £500 depending on who you go to.I always knew going to Nissan dealer would be most expensive.

I did investigate running cost's Petrol,Tax,insurance etc but did not look up the replacement cost on every part of the car besides which the cost for any item can vary by as much £500 depending on who you go to.

We're not saying investigate EVERY part, but comsumables and wear and tear items, like brake pads, brake discs, clutches, tyres, belts, go on forums, research common faults, average intervals of clutch changes, ask if any forum members live near and whether they fancy coming along to have a look at the car with you (sounds odd, but it has been done before)

I always knew going to Nissan dealer would be most expensive.

And yet you still go there.

Look, either get the refund if that is still an option, or sell the car on privately and take the hit or bite the bullet and take it to an independant garage and get the Zed sorted out.

Sure it's a pain, but hopefully once it's sorted, you'll have stress and worry free motoring, plus a good independant will prolly know more about the Zed than a Nissan spanner monkey.

Good luck with everything

I think the OP has been unlucky, the Z is surprisingly cheap to run and maintain if you know where to go. I'd say it's as cheap as my previous Celica VVTI with half the horse power. I reckon the previous owner didn't care for it as he should have. I've had my zed for just under 4 years and it's been so reliable I don't think I'll ever get rid of her!

Its unfortunate to hear of your issues.

I would recommend the advice of the traders and the Indy garages who've posted here.

I stopped using main dealers after a few years and finding a mechanic whos a good person and down to earth.

Its saved me alot of money and I know he treats my car well.

Mechanics love enthusiasts

If you are unhappy and can get a refund, which I would be surprised about in all honesty as most used cars are 'sold as seen' and clutches are wear and tear parts, go for it. BUT bear in mind the same thing may happen on the next car you buy. Folk on here have had clutches replaced at 20k to well over 100k. As others have said it's all about how it's previous owner drove the car.

Alternatively if you get it fixed you know it's gonna be perfect.

Rule 1 of Zed ownership is completely ignore anything Nissan UK tell you and trust Clark Motorsport, ZMANALEX, Cougarstore, Horsham Developments, Kaizer etc

Labour to remove the box and clutch etc is about 3 hours disassembly and then 3 hours assembly. Thus 6 hours, at independent garage rates £40 an hour that's £240. New clutch about £300, new fly about £350 = £890.

I guess the quote you had for the clutch would include a genuine Nissan clutch from Nissan which they charge about £600 for. The garage being a chain will be running about £70 an hour labour thus the £1000+ price.

Unfortunately clutches wearing out is just one of those things, you never know when it will happen but it will at some point.

• Like 1