thinking of a supercharger

jack350z

hi guys,

Pretty new to the 350z scene but iam thinking of supercharging the car purely as i can keep the std internals and iam on a budget. iam from norfolk. who supply these kits and fits them around that part of the country?

would be greatful for any help lads :)

thanks.

Tarmac Sportz supply the Vortech kit. You'll also need to budget for injectors, fuel pump, fuel return system etc.

And then you'll need to have the car mapped and tuned and somewhere like Abbey Motorsport

when i mean budget i mean just to get value for money and not get ripped off like some maufactures do. i'd spend how ever much means nessicary but its always nice to save a few pennies where you can i think most people would agree :)

how much we talking to get up and running with a full supercharger conversion with the appropriate parts to compliment it?

just be nice to have some feedback off the guys that know what there talking about as iam still a new zed owner.

cheers guys!

Usually used kits come up here for around 4.5-5k... So it is possible for your budget. Plus you'll need around £600-800 for remapping (unless you already have UpRev licence on your car, that it will be cheaper )

• Like 1

Regarding fitting it- it's pretty straight forward if you got all bits! If you don't fancy doing it yourself -I'm Zed shed(Keyser and his A team) will help you (don't know about prices, but will be cheaper than others) or Abbey Motorsport.

Off the top of my head......

Sump Plate

Oil catch can

1 step colder sparkplugs

Wideband AFR

Oil Pressure gauge

Oil Temp gauge

Boost gauge

Oil cooler

Ally radiator - maybe

Braided Clutch Line

Light Flywheel/clutch if yours is battered

Fuel pump

Injectors

Plenum Spacer

Exhaust if yours is standard

That's not including price of supercharger, fitting or uprev/mapping plus a good service before you fire her up for the first time.

Probably missed loads off as well

£4500

Double it. :dry:

You can get some things second hand but other parts you would need to get new or just wouldn't be able to get used.

Imo with all new parts for a decent supercharger install you'd need a budget of at least £6-7K low end possibly £9K high end (maybe I'm wrong?!). But that's with all new parts and paying for things to be installed by professionals.

Jumping350's list gives you a good idea but imo there are some things you wouldn't necessarily need. I mean you could forget the gauges for starters and the new radiator especially on a budget.

But I would say there are other things on there you would definitely need like a new clutch/flywheel in order to handle the uprated power.

Not trying to be a downer as I really want to supercharge my Zed too one day but just trying to be a realist. ;)

Saying that though it may not be impossible especially if you're willing to fit a lot of things yourself or have others willing to help and can source good second hand parts. Recently this second hand Vortech V2 came up for sale for £4000 with pretty much everything needed to get it up & running. Think it sold in the end though for £2500 with a lot of bits removed from the sale. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/82528-vortech-v2-kit-reduced-to-clear-grab-a-bargain/

Hopefully I'm wrong about everything and we can both be driving around in supercharged Zeds done for less than £4.5K but I doubt it tbh. :byebye:

If you do everything DIY then its doable for £4500, assuming you just want the bare minimum needed.

To do it properly, budget £10K

+1

To be honest most of the stuff listed in the posts above are best practice for a reliable 400+ HP but they are not essential. It can be done in stages as long as your not greedy on power.

It can safely be done on stock injectors. stock clutch and fly, stock fuel pump, stock plenum, etc...etc...

All you need is the 'full Vortech kit' with the aux fuel pump, FPR and Split second timing piggy back ECU. It's an out of the box kit that will work. but it should ideally be tuned to your car. This will give you approx 350-380 Hp. It's not the ideal set up but works fine for a road car if you look after it and is the cheapest option.

Mine was running like that for a few years without any major problems until I decided to spend a bit more making it as safe as possible and getting the rest of the potential ponies out of the SC.

I would recommend a minimum of an AFR gauge with any FI set up as there are a few issues that can lead to it running lean, which is the most likely cause of engine failure, so well worth keeping an eye on.

If budget allows then a tuner kit with the advised items listed in many SC threads on here and in posts above is preferable.

My current set up is:

Vortech V2 Centrifugal Supercharger, Polished

Vortech Front mount Intercooler

Maxflow racing bypass valve

Kinetix SSV Inlet Manifold

Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

AEM 'Basic' Return Fuel System

Deatschwerks Injectors 600cc

Invidia G200 true dual exhaust

Japspeed Decats

Custom K&N Cold Air Intake

Mocal 92Deg Thermostatic Oil Cooler Kit

JWT Oil pan spacer

Stillen Pneumatic engine damper

Custom Oil Catch Can.

You do not need a new clutch and or flywheel until the OEM one is knackered. I am still on the OEM clutch and flywheel @ 33k miles about 30k of which has been boosted and it holds up fine still. I will however replace it with a lightened one when the time comes.

I hope this helps.

It CAN be done cheap with the basics and will probably be fine. But as always, it is BEST to spend a bit more and make the most of it's potential power as reliably as you can.

• Like 1

Good info

But if you have that sort of budget why don't you sell the 350z and get a something more powerful

Because you like the 350z......but wish it had more power!

I can't think of another car I'd rather have for similar money with 400+bhp or I'd have one.

• Like 3

I was going to say the exact same thing Sam,

say you sell your car for average price of £6000 and you didnt spend the £4000 (in theory) on supercharger

what £10,000 car will give you that power/drive? (that's not 10 or so years older than your current zed)

Anything same age or newer is considerably more expensive so not worth losing out selling your zed to plough more money into a more expensive car.

Maybe wrong though and there might be something better :lol: