New tyres required

scodgie

Guys, I will be replacing all 4 tyres in the next month or so, Id really appreciate any opinions on what Id like to get from them.

Number one would be reduced road noise, it is pretty much impossible to have a conversation at 70 mph right now without shouting, and the second is to soften down the ride, Im not requiring any super grip or enhanced road holding, I just want a more civilized driving experience.

Many thanks

Ian :)

*Insert tyre argument here*

*Insert unanimous verdict below*

*vredestein ultrac sessanta

*Michelin Pilot Supersports

*Falken FK453

*Linglong Greenmax

Thanks mate, I did go through some old threads before I posted, and the Falkens keep coming up, is the FK453 the best for my requirements?

Ian

• Like 1

*Falken FK453

*Linglong Greenmax

Thanks mate, I did go through some old threads before I posted, and the Falkens keep coming up, is the FK453 the best for my requirements?

Ian

*Falken FK453

*Linglong Greenmax

Ian

When my new shoes arrive, I'll probably be going with Falkens mate, as I'll be needing all 4, a few threads seem happy with falkens :thumbs:

*Falken FK453

*Linglong Greenmax

Ian

Basically, the FK452's were the tyre of choice for most people on here as they were supposed to be amazing. Falken stopped making them and the FK453 is the replacement, some people seem to rate it more than others, but the general consensus is that it's not quite as good as the 452. I've not used the 453 personally, so I wouldn't like to comment, I'm sure someone with more experience of them than me will come along soon :)

oh and ignore the linglong's, I was joking with them :lol:

So if you have seen some of the other threads, you should know:

1. Generally MPSS are highly regarded
  2. There are other good tyres out there that don't cost as much
  3. Not everyone agrees with point 2
  4. Not everyone agrees with the people from point 3

I've got FK453's do NOT buy them if you already think road noise is an issue. But - The Zed has a noisy cabin anyway, I'm not sure how much difference tyres will actually make. Other zeds that I have been in had 18" wheels but I didn't think they were much better for road noise...

So if you have seen some of the other threads, you should know:

1. Generally MPSS are highly regarded

2. There are other good tyres out there that don't cost as much

3. Not everyone agrees with point 2

4. Not everyone agrees with the people from point 3

I've got FK453's do NOT buy them if you already think road noise is an issue. But - The Zed has a noisy cabin anyway, I'm not sure how much difference tyres will actually make. Other zeds that I have been in had 18" wheels but I didn't think they were much better for road noise...

Clucking bell.. thats that one blown out of the window,

This thread is going to run on forever, but heres my 2p.

EVERYONE on here seems to love MPSS's, ive never ran them as I cant justify that price for tyres, maybe if I was on double my income, but im not so there.

That said, I believe in a firmly mid-range tyre to give the best of cheapness but also performance & Safety, this is the Falken 453 (or the 452 if you can still get them). I ran budget tyres for years on my previous car and the difference even between these two is night and day.

If I could afford another top branded tyre id probably go with the Bridgestone REO50's but I cant justify the cost of them either.

TL:DR

Money to burn but top performance - MPSS or REO50

Sensible tyre for performance and price - Falken 453

Edited by cs2000

The Falkens aren't a quiet tyre. The quietest tyre I've tried is the Hankooks Ventus Evo V12 K110. They are also better than the Falken 452s in every other respect.

In my opinion , the best balance of performance to cost comes from the Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2 at the moment. The mpss is better in the dry, but the F1s are better in the wet.

Sent from my AT10LE-A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The Falkens aren't a quiet tyre. The quietest tyre I've tried is the Hankooks Ventus Evo V12 K110. They are also better than the Falken 452s in every other respect.

In my opinion , the best balance of performance to cost comes from the Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2 at the moment. The mpss is better in the dry, but the F1s are better in the wet.

I live in Manchester so I guess I'd be better going for F1's than MPSS?

I need 4 new tyres.

I've never driven a car with F1's, a friend has MPSS's on his m3 and says he wouldn't have anything else.

The Falken 452 have had their day. They were on my 350 when i bought it and before I put on the F1 Asymmetrics and I've used them before on a 200sx. They are OK new but are quite noisy and wet grip goes when there's still lots of tread left. As I've said before, beset balance of cost vs performance is the F1's, the MPSS are better balanced in the dry, but more expensive. They are also not as good as the F1's in the wet. My reasoning is that its much easier to get to the limits in the wet so that is a touch more of a priority. The F1's also are pretty good in the dry, won quite a few tests and review well on tyre reviews.