Kuro Black - which shade of five??

Katy

So... I'm having my front bumper resprayed and the paintshop have gone off to get paint (code KH3) and come back saying there's five different variations of Kuro Black, the standard solid paint then:

• Light
  • Red
  • Yellow
  • Green

We got a basic sample and it looks slightly too red. Without paying £25 per sample to test them all I don't know what to do.

Someone must have re-painted a Kuro black car... what paint did you use??

Thanks!

K :)

If there are five different shades (a common occurrence with any manufacturer, due to different years, recipes, etc. etc.) there is no guarantee that Humpys is the same as yours. You have to compare the samples to your own car to confirm the correct shade unfortunately.

...also you may have experienced paint colour fade over the years, so you want something that matches the current shade?

When I had my car in at TGM recently they got all the options of QM1 white and tested them against the current car colour...

If there are five different shades (a common occurrence with any manufacturer, due to different years, recipes, etc. etc.) there is no guarantee that Humpys is the same as yours. You have to compare the samples to your own car to confirm the correct shade unfortunately.

Sadly Watshot is correct, just spoken to the Bodycraft chap and said it will vary and best is to try and match as close as possible. Paint can fade etc over time...

The information he has given me was:

Sherwin Williams

2k base coat

Water base

Code Kh3

Prospector no - ending in 3670

0 shade - Which basically means dark.

I remember us looking at the Paint samples and trying to match best with the paint to my car.

Katy you could always get the paint blended in to the other panels but will obviously cost more.

Edited by Humpy
  • Like 1

Thanks so much Humpy for going out of your way to get that info for me, I'll pass it onto the bodyshop now.

I think like Coldel says, the problem is I've got 8 year old faded paint on the rest of the car (not to mention so many stone chips on the bonnet it looks like metallic paintwork!) so the best bet is going to be to get swatches of all five and compare them in the cold light of day.

And I naively thought black was just black...

You live and learn :D

Probably too late, but heres some more paint code deets from Spies Hecker, this page is specifically relates to KH3 on the bumper

http://cdb.shcolor.info/en/Formula.mvc/353003@!BLACK@!AG01@!O?displayType=grid

and apparently this is the "Accent" colour for the bumper

http://cdb.shcolor.info/en/Formula.mvc/503643@!MEDIUM%20GREY@!AG05@!O?displayType=grid

Edited by cs2000

I don't know if this is much help,

I asked a local body shop with regards to price of spraying a bonnet and front bumper. They said to me they'd like to do the wings so everything was Matched. I got quoted £400.

Might be another thing to consider and ask for how much the work would be in that situation.

I asked a local body shop with regards to price of spraying a bonnet and front bumper. They said to me they'd like to do the wings so everything was Matched. I got quoted £400.

Might be another thing to consider and ask for how much the work would be in that situation.

Thanks so much Humpy for going out of your way to get that info for me, I'll pass it onto the bodyshop now.

I think like Coldel says, the problem is I've got 8 year old faded paint on the rest of the car (not to mention so many stone chips on the bonnet it looks like metallic paintwork!) so the best bet is going to be to get swatches of all five and compare them in the cold light of day.

And I naively thought black was just black...

You live and learn :D

Your more than welcome Katy, like to think others would do the same for me. Sorry I couldnt be much more use :(

I'd like my bonnet resprayed anyway so that might be the best idea. Was trying to get it done in time for Incarnation on 26-Apr but that's not going to happen if we're looking at a full front end respray :(

Still, better to drop the deadline and get it done properly I guess... *stamps feet impatiently*

Thanks again for everything :)