Amateur Photography Thread 2

DoogyRev

Ok so as requested this is a trial in progress but here are some time-lapse video's I've done, no sound, no fancy editing so please don't be too critical... I also know that this is somewhat OT :)

GoPro 4 black:

Settings

Night lapse

White balance 3k

ISO varies but as low as I can

Exposure again varies but most of these will be around 30s which does introduce some blur.

All of these will be recorded over several hours

I'm not going to criticise at all. Thought they were pretty good really for a trial in progress. The clouds and stars look great moving across the sky.

My D7100 has time lapse facility, but I've never even tried it yet. I'm lucky really living near the Brecon Beacons National Park which has International Dark Sky Reserve status. I really must get out there for some night shots.

Thanks for posting :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so as requested this is a trial in progress but here are some time-lapse video's I've done, no sound, no fancy editing so please don't be too critical... I also know that this is somewhat OT :)

Look great mate. I've always liked time-lapse footage but I am yet to try night time stuff.

Look great mate. I've always liked time-lapse footage but I am yet to try night time stuff.

Thanks, I think it's not too bad for a GoPro to be fair.

I want to try with my DSLR but will have to wait for the nights to close in and I don't fancy leaving it out in the elements for hours

• 4 months later...

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!! :scare: :scare: :scare:

Bought a Canon EOS M10 a few months back for my trip to Iceland in an attempt to get some shots of the Northern Lights. I was lucky enough to see them really clearly and got some good shots. Also managed to get the Milky Way in one of the shots without realising! Lens used was a kit lens which is 15-45mm f/3.5-f/6/5. Recently bought a lens mount adapter so I can borrow the bigger lenses off friends to expand my range of shots. Been watching videos on YouTube about Lightroom and starting to get the hang of it. Any helpful tips or constructive criticism welcome :)

30358913112_a8330f0ed5_b.jpgMilky Way Northern Lights by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

30519436915_2307f86b2d_b.jpgIMG_0353.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

31178972175_c1acfba50d_b.jpgIMG_0168.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

31178977395_621562785f_b.jpgIMG_0450.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

London Bridge

30645369615_717428594b_b.jpgIMG_0472.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

30550860052_f3cc858be5_b.jpgIMG_0492.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

Autumn shots taken at my local park

31047689311_7f4411ab89_b.jpgIMG_0541.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

31047694371_ce0c1ac232_b.jpgIMG_0542.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

31047698641_f07d4d5ed1_b.jpgIMG_0559.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

31019526782_fd0995c99d_b.jpgIMG_0558.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

Customary Zed shot

31039419612_92832dbcf7_b.jpgIMG_0564.jpg by Chirag Panchal, on Flickr

• Like 9

Crackin' shots Chirag, very nice......well done!!! :thumbs:

Whereabouts in Iceland did you go?

Planning my first trip around the south coast there next April/May.

Have you downloaded the free Nik Collection plug-ins for Lightroom yet?

Crackin' shots Chirag, very nice......well done!!! :thumbs:

Whereabouts in Iceland did you go?

Planning my first trip around the south coast there next April/May.

Have you downloaded the free Nik Collection plug-ins for Lightroom yet?

Thanks mate! It's amazing how much you can learn off YouTube! I went to Reykjavik with the Mrs for our mini-moon, spent 4 nights there and we booked a tour from here which included excursion to see the Northern Lights, visit the Golden Circle and some waterfalls, and the Blue Lagoon. Northern Lights is hit and miss, but hopefully if you're lucky enough you'll get to see them. I did some reading up on how to keep the right settings to capture them, and if you have one, definitely take a tripod!

I've not downloaded any of the collections yet, but it's something I'll be looking into :)

Wow some of the shots here are amazing. We decided to get a new camera for our trip to Silverstone F1, nothing too fancy but a Panasonic DMC-FZ72 and i'm still getting used to it. I'm not really up to speed with full editing of photos yet. Simple photoshopping I can do but really editing photos to make them better is something I need to do a lot more reading up on.

Here are a couple of shots i've taken that i'm fond of, Red Arrows at Silverstone and some Lake District. I'm not at your guys standard but hope to improve with time. All hand held, as I'd forgotten my tripod, doh!

30385757593_9405449eb3_b.jpg

31078632201_4366af0b9c_b.jpg

31157147736_b29c50124b_b.jpg

30385520013_c61c2cb8ef_b.jpg

30385513773_4dd19a438b_b.jpg

30385515783_96e901070e_b.jpg

31048962002_f33469de86_b.jpg

• Like 3

Chirag1988, those pics are very nice, are they straight from the camera, or do the have a little HDR applied?

Thanks mate, they were shot in RAW format in Manual mode but then edited in Lightroom :)

Haven't tried creating HDR shots yet, my camera doesn't have exposure bracketing, and I'm trying to shoot everything in Manual so would need to take multiple shots and then merge them into HDR in Lightroom

There is free software that allows you to add varying degrees of HDR effect without using bracketing, ;) that Canon certainly does a nice job for a compact.....obviously with the right person behind it. :)

I was impressed by it too! I was initially after a compact digital camera that I could take on holiday with me without having to carry a big bulky DSLR around. Asked my cousin for advice who's into his photography and he found me this within my budget of £300. Being mirrorless, it's the same size as a compact but with all the main advantages of a DSLR, and I have the option to interchange bigger and more powerful lenses if I want to.

Biggest thing I was surprised with was being able to capture the Milky Way with the standard kit lens that came with it!

It is impressive! i am in the same boat, i keep leaving my Canon 550d and lenses at home because its so bulky to carry around, so i nick the wife's little compact, but its not great, so i have been looking at some of the Sony compacts that do 4k as well as interchangeable lenses, but i am still debating which way to go, will have to have a look at the canon.

• Like 1

Getting the right compact/mini SLR is key. A good one will allow some great shots.

Sometimes people think the key to great photography is high end expensive kit. Trust me on this as an amateur photographer it is very much about the person behind the lens, not the price of kit.

If you can capture a good shot and visualise it that is an art in itself.

My advice would be to spend time composing your shot, don't rush it. Try to use the zoom less, move yourself rather than zooming when possible. Try and get the best shot possible from the camera rather than relying on editing software.

Chirag for your first round of shots you have a good eye for composure. Some excellent shots there.

Edited by monkeybrain1234
  • Like 1

That is an awesome phot 350zedd, what equipment did you use?

Been looking at a landscape lens for a while and I'm very tempted with the below for a 500d. I'd also like to use for long exposures for night sky photos and struggling to justify the cost..... convince me please :lol:

http://www.currys.co...CFVEoFgod6F4CxQ

Taken with a Nikon D810(fx) and Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens @24mm 1/80th @f10.

I've just upgraded from a D7100(dx) and still attached to it is.....guess what? a Sigma 10-20mm !!

It was my most used lens and is absolutely brilliant! A bargain at £300. Highly recommended.

The pic below was taken with it....

8sec f11 @10mm....think I had a 10stop nd filter attached.

untitled-61_zpsfosfy552.jpg

Need more convincing? ;)

• Like 4

Looking towards Cribyn from Pen y Fan . . . and Fan y Big in the distance.... :blush::lol:

_DSC2684_zpsgwynrkzh.jpg

That is an awesome phot 350zedd, what equipment did you use?

Been looking at a landscape lens for a while and I'm very tempted with the below for a 500d. I'd also like to use for long exposures for night sky photos and struggling to justify the cost..... convince me please :lol:

http://www.currys.co...CFVEoFgod6F4CxQ

Taken with a Nikon D810(fx) and Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens @24mm 1/80th @f10.

I've just upgraded from a D7100(dx) and still attached to it is.....guess what? a Sigma 10-20mm !!

It was my most used lens and is absolutely brilliant! A bargain at £300. Highly recommended.

The pic below was taken with it....

8sec f11 @10mm....think I had a 10stop nd filter attached.

untitled-61_zpsfosfy552.jpg

Need more convincing? ;)

Great pics mate! I really love doing landscapes and the long exposures, you get so much to play with afterwards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more from my recent trip to Portsmouth and Isle of Wight :teeth:

Quite like shots taken into the sun....heres one from sunday afternoon at dryslwyn castle with a 3 stop nd grad

1/25th f22 iso64 @35mm

Liking that a lot mate! Looks like something out of Lord of the Rings!

I guess it's all trial and error. I've learnt not to delete any shots until I get home and look at them on my mac. Have discovered some real gems which I thought were crap originally!

A couple more from my recent trip to Portsmouth and Isle of Wight :teeth:

Quite like shots taken into the sun....heres one from sunday afternoon at dryslwyn castle with a 3 stop nd grad

1/25th f22 iso64 @35mm

Liking that a lot mate! Looks like something out of Lord of the Rings!

I guess it's all trial and error. I've learnt not to delete any shots until I get home and look at them on my mac. Have discovered some real gems which I thought were crap originally!

Exactly!...getting a decent shot is luck of the draw sometime, its all down to the light, but as they say, you have to be in it to win it...just keep at it! :)

Edited by 350zedd