Testdriving Zeds

Hi all, been looking through buying guides etc and will be test driving the first 350z this weekend. Guides have been really useful.

Currently driving an a4 2.0T special edition (07). I really do like car - its built well and has a bit of go but I'm missing the grins my jap cars gave me and feeling old before my time (am 24).

I have relocated with work and am doing far fewer miles so thought why not. I average around 28 in a4 - 23-25mpg wont upset me....My man maths are strong and I'll be busy with window down and open ears. B)

Car wise I went from starlet turbo x2, s13, Toyota Levin bz-r then to the audi. Booked in to see this on Saturday - will it be the 280hp engine and should I be bothered if not?

http://www.rdmdirect.co.uk/used-cars/nissan-350-z-3-5-v6-3dr-burton-on-trent-201309268971895

Thanks and hello!

cheers guys, I was unsure if 280 or 300 but have read through revisions/engine updates- should I hold out for an HR or is the difference minimal from the drivers seat?

The HR was the most highly developed version of the 350z, Nissan spent a lot of time & research improving the older 350z as much as it possibly could. The engine alone is 80% new with more power, better cooling and even mounted lower in chasis to improve handling.

Those who have driven both the HR & the older zed`s say the difference is night & day and if you can afford it go for the HR.

However, you`ll pay a premium when buying the HR model which puts it out of reach of some people. On the other hand, those who buy the older 276bhp models usually end up buying exhaust, induction, decat, remap etc etc. and still only end up with less power than the HR.

Id try both if I was you and see what you think. You might feel that the older model is more than enough for what you want and save some cash!

• Like 1

I wouldnt go for that one if it were me. It isnt the rev up dispite being 06 which means you arern't getting the facelift bumper, front and rear lights, interior or extra power. But what you are getting is the higher tax bracket. The price could be cheaper as well :thumbs:

• Like 1

The HR came out around April 2007. The higher Road Tax applies from some point in 2006. Also there was the facelift on the zed in 2006. However there are non face lift cars and non HR cars out there which have been registered in 2007 & 2008. Best way to check for an HR is that they have a bonnet bulge, also if you open the bonnet they have 1 rubber belt on the front of the engine and 2 air intakes (one each side of the engine bay).

Also, the "higher" road tax is only about £500 compared to £250 or whatever the older zed is, so if you look at it over 12 months that isnt really much in the grand scheme of things.

Mine is a 280BHP model and I find it plenty fast enough. Sure if you drove an HR model and compared the two you'd tell the difference with the extra 30BHP or so. But what can your budget stretch too? Because it looks as though you're seeing overpriced cars from dealers charging way too much for non facelift cars.

Like someone else said you'll be paying double the tax but not have any of the bonuses lol

My tax is only £270 for the year which I think is cheap.

Can't you sell the Audi privately? I know it seems easier to pretty much swap your Audi for any 350Z that's thrown at you, but make sure you aint getting stitched over.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is that definitely high tax then that grey one? How much would you say its worth? I could sell the audi privately but it would be like a chain effect - don't want to be without a car and also don't want pressure time wise with getting the 350z.

Ideally, don't want to go over 8k budget wise...

Edited by 3fiddleyzed

There is also the thing that If he gave me 7 for mine, I got him to 7.5 I'd only be 500 out which I'd pay out of my paycheck and not have to do a savings dip. We will see. Thanks for all the help/input! I'll test Saturday, if its bang on I'll contact him the following week. I'll try and test drive the blue one next week also