Is this Nissan techy talking nonsense?

Dynamic Turtle

Just had a chat with a Nissan tech who claimed that the airbag ECU / SRS module (the one next to the gearstick) needs to be replaced after airbags have fired, regardless of whether the unit itself has been physically damaged or not. I'm very surprised to hear that it can't be re-set using the nissan consult / OBD thing. Is he just trying to make me shell out £40,000 for a new unit? What's the deal?

I had a crash........... The air bag did not fire........... My passengers is now dead............

Bloody Nissan......................... They said they fixed it.........

Personally I'd want a brand spanking new one.

Good point @ aliveboy, that would be an expensive mistake, though i'm guessing more of a risk if the airbag sensor on the bumper is still sending out an "impact" signal.

your not going to continue using the sensor used in the incident?

PMSL @ Russ!! Dude I was joking, the unit's a few hundred quid but still rather a lot for a circuit board that still works perfectly!

I knew it was a joke. I tried to put a smiley on it but I'm on the phone and I don't know what it was.

If it helps the airbag ECU on my alfa played up and the srs light came on and it had to be changed as it can't be reset. No idea how much as it was under warranty

• Like 1

Good point @ aliveboy, that would be an expensive mistake, though i'm guessing more of a risk if the airbag sensor on the bumper is still sending out an "impact" signal.

your not going to continue using the sensor used in the incident?

Definitely not - they're only a few quid and the whole front section is being replaced, basically.

I have seen people offering re-set services for SRS modules on t'internet (for about £45) so I'm guessing a new unit would be unnecessary. Just trying to make sure though...

I was under the impression that the airbag system's main brain had to be replaced in pretty much any car, they're a one time use type of thing. That, along with the seatbelts as they stretch during a crash, the the belt pre-tensioners.

I was under the impression that the airbag system's main brain had to be replaced in pretty much any car, they're a one time use type of thing. That, along with the seatbelts as they stretch during a crash, the the belt pre-tensioners.

Yep, I've had to replace everything barring the side impact sensor and bags.

FYI it appears that my zed (UK 2005 GT) doesn't have a front impact sensor on the bulkhead. The SRS module next to the gearstick detects rapid deceleration and deploys the airbags on that basis.