Good buy?

-Bradders-

Hi all,

As you know im still on the hunt for a 350. well it's pay day today and i finally have a decent sum to throw at a motor, Anyway, i reallllly want an azure blue on and came across this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331157389374?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

However, someone just hit the BIN lol. bollox.

So i've found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360882434510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The only thing that bothers me is the mileage. is it safe to buy a Z with miles that high? its the GT model i like, its extremely clean which i also like, the interior hurts my eyes though but i'd get black interior instead lol.

Any other points to look at?

Cheers,

B

Hi mate,

Mine has just over 120K on the clock and is running just fine. To be honest you will only know if it's decent by inspecting it closely and test driving it. It's entirely feasible for a car with 100K on the clock to be in better condition than one with half the mileage - it really depends on how it's been driven and cared for; if it's up and down the motorway at 70mph then it will keep going more or less forever!

The one in the ad looks very clean and completely stock from what can be seen - but hard to tell until you get under the bonnet. If it had been modified in any way, that isn't a bad thing but it's just good to know what's been done. Doesn't look to be many stone chips on the front bumper so maybe hasn't been driven all that fast - have a close look when you buy. Good to see it has had a new clutch - check the service history carefully to make sure it's had the major services in particular. Check the exhaust where the mid pipe meets the back box - can be known to break away on some zeds.

Good luck mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

First thing I'd look at is the number of owners rather than the mileage. That one has had just 2 so I'd always have that over a 60k car with 6 previous owners. That said, any car with 100k on the clock carries a certain amount of risk.

Pete

First thing I'd look at is the number of owners rather than the mileage. That one has had just 2 so I'd always have that over a 60k car with 6 previous owners. That said, any car with 100k on the clock carries a certain amount of risk.

Pete

How so?

Pete

How so?

A large number of owners always throws up a red flag for me. Maybe I'm being over suspicious but I'd ask myself why has it changed hands so often? Is there a problem, has one (or more) of the previous owners abused it?

Pete

My 04 GT has 118,000 miles on it and runs great. These are big engines and can take big mileage. I paid around £2000 less for mine because of the mileage.

Mine has 3 previous owners and a FNSH (Not that that's worth all that much lol) But the previous owners spent good money on servicing and used the car alot. Nothing wrong with that in my book!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bradders, you want my car from the sound of it, black with black lol

e8a7uder.jpg

uteguqam.jpg

Yours for only £6000!!! Hahaha

Tbh that tan interior is way too much in my opinion but it does seem to go with gun metal grey cars better.

Ideally I wanted an azure blue with black leather but this popped up first and I really wanted one ASAP before the wife convinced me to get a Ford Mondeo.

I would personally hold out for the colour you want and spec and mileage. Some people will throw good money at an auto import when another £1000 can get a UK GT with all the bobbins.

Good luck anyway!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys! yeah i checked all this, its got only 2 previous owners, full service history etc..

Darren yeah, i want that one :p but closer to 5k is better for me lol, will leave me some money left over to play with :D

As you said though i may just hold out for the one i really want, i just want an Azure with the GT pack, black leather, good miles, good paintwork, is that too much to ask for lol?

It isn't too much to ask for and they pop up every now and again, but you have to be quick as every Zed in good nick priced under £6000 seems to dissappear quite quickly lol

My wife is pregnant and she has already hinted (Alot) at getting rid of the Zed but I'm trying to ignore the fact it's not practical whatsoever lol

My 04 GT has 118,000 miles on it and runs great. These are big engines and can take big mileage. I paid around £2000 less for mine because of the mileage.

Mine has 3 previous owners and a FNSH (Not that that's worth all that much lol) But the previous owners spent good money on servicing and used the car alot. Nothing wrong with that in my book!

Yes, in the vast majority of cases engines are good for 200k provided the correct fuel is used and the car is serviced as per schedule. When I was younger I always went for the most expensive car I could afford without thinking about the running costs but I'm far more circumspect these days and keep a fair sized contingency fund available "just in case". I once got bitten by a huge bill for a second hand Lotus I foolishly bought and since then I've been very cautious.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete

How so?

A large number of owners always throws up a red flag for me. Maybe I'm being over suspicious but I'd ask myself why has it changed hands so often? Is there a problem, has one (or more) of the previous owners abused it?

Pete

Could be that, but could also be the type of car. Its not uncommon for a VX220 to have had 6+ previous owners even if its only done 40k miles, the type of car dictates that people buy them, use them sparingly and then move them on. I would expect the number of owners for 350z to start going up as well now that purchase costs are low as people buy then sell on (could be due to just wanting a fun car for the summer or that it was more expensive to run than they realised etc).

Also, if the car has been traded in a few times that will in effect double the number of previous owners as the dealership will put their name down on the V5 to become an 'owner'. So something with 6 previous owners could well have had 3 dealers down as owners.

I personally wouldn't be too put off by previous owner counts, I would be much more concerned if there was a lack of receipts of servicing work done.

For my Skyline, I actually did some investigative work myself - I got the MoT history of the car and rang up all the garages listed on it, I also rang up the dealer that sold it to the owner I bought it off. All remembered it and were able to talk about work done on it etc which put my mind at ease if anything.

• Like 1