911 C4S(996)...........any good?

gordy

Might be looking to change my 350HR later in the year so have been looking at other options, already asked about bmw z4m coupe earlier in week, so has anybody got experience of driving/owning a 996 C4S? and how does it compare to the 350z.

Cheers,

Gordy

Nice one, hopefully get some info about reliability/running costs and performance vs 350z, I've had my zed for a couple of years now and really like it but have a habit of changing cars so weighing up my options :)

Coming from 3.5 years of 997 ownership, but two things I would say straight away:

1. Along with an Elise, the 911 is one of the classic driving experiences that everyone should have a try of once in their lives. All the weight out back makes for an incredibly intense and unique drive.

2. Read up on IMS and bore scoring. If you're in the unlucky 5-10%, then you'll need a slush fund of around £8K-£10K to get it up and running again.

Astounding cars, modern 911s.

• Like 1

Coming from 3.5 years of 997 ownership, but two things I would say straight away:

1. Along with an Elise, the 911 is one of the classic driving experiences that everyone should have a try of once in their lives. All the weight out back makes for an incredibly intense and unique drive.

2. Read up on IMS and bore scoring. If you're in the unlucky 5-10%, then you'll need a slush fund of around £8K-£10K to get it up and running again.

Astounding cars, modern 911s.

+1

just changed from a 996 for almost 4 yrs, all I can say is that if you are asking that question on here you need to do much more research into the car, get on some forums 911uk and read and read

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Have read up a bit about issues with bore scoring, and ims on Cayman/911 3.4,3.6 and on newer 3.8s engines so does make me wary about purchase.

Tbh I'm a bit disappointed that a company with a reputation for reliable well engineered products has had ongoing issues on its engines for several years.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/boxster-987-05-12/porsche-boxster-987-gen-ii-24v-3-4s-6-speed-manual-2009/1857296?isexperiment=true

It's a Boxster, yes, but it's a gen2 S. Still a great car, albeit it's not a 911 and I'd prefer to have a 996 over this I think. Or loads of non-S Caymans on there too.

Would still have the 911 though!

Hi Ekona, really would have to be 911 or Cayman 3.4s but does seem a bit of a minefield getting one with a healthy engine and then worrying about damaging it when you give it a thrashing, have you any idea how much a bore inspection would cost and is this a guarantee that it wont develop scoring in the future?

No guarantee at all sadly, but still a must-do before purchase. Tbh any Porsche purchase should only be done after a decent PPI by Peter Morgan, Mike @ S+C or other reputable firm. These days the third rad and the low temp stat is pretty much considered to be very much money well spent on preventing issue with high tempts causing scoring and d-chunk failure, so budget that into any purchase.

I recently bought a 996 C4.

As Dan says, it's an experience i felt i had to tick off my list, and im glad i have done, but honestly i'd rather have my old 350z back.

Whilst the Porsche is certainly rapid and interesting to drive, i dont feel like it's really that much more special. Also the 'Porsche Anxiety' is pretty annoying... every little noise has me worrying that it's going to cost me some serious money. I've never really been concerned with a cars running costs before, but these are expensive to keep maintained well... and it's money that i dont see as being very good value (i.e. on other cars, preventative maintenance is almost rewarding but on the Porsche i feel like im getting ripped off).

• Like 1

marzman, it sound like you've hit the nail on the head for me as I want to tick it off my list but scared I might regreat making the move from a really nice 350hr into a car that im worried about reliability and scared to use to the full in case I land up with a big bill.

Thanks guys, for all your inputs ;)

Edited by gordy

Porsche paranoia causes a lot of people to sell up, hence why they can have a lot of owners and low miles

I think I was lucky and only had consumables in the 4 yrs I had it, my brother sold his and got an rs focus and my other brother sold his after 5yrs and got a turbo

There is a lot to learn about before you jump in, that's why I said read and read, cheap to buy now but can be very expensive

A ppi is a must but still not a guarantee of a reliable car

I just felt in the end the 996 was dated especially the interior so I came back and got a 370z, no regrets so far

Gixxer, agree with you about being totally informed before jumping in ,but for me to jump in to a car expensive to purchase/maintain then have the worry of it going wrong does not sit comfy with me, plus the amount of horror stories on the net, seems like only 5-10% are not affected with engine issues :lol:

cheers for the heads up mate

gordy

I recently bought a 996 C4.

As Dan says, it's an experience i felt i had to tick off my list, and im glad i have done, but honestly i'd rather have my old 350z back.

The bloke who bought my 313HR actually part ex`d his 996 for it as he said he just didnt get on with the 996. He said compared to the zed, the 996 was just a totally uninspiring experience.

I guess its horses for courses really. If your interested in a 996, drive a couple and see what you think before you take the plunge. They are getting cheaper now so are certainly quite affordable to purchase - just have to factor in any repair costs etc.

Edited by rabbitstew
  • Like 1

Not a fan of the 996 interiors, or the boxsters of the same age, think they are a little low rent for a car that was at that price when it was new. Followed a 996 C4S round a track a year or so again, and apart from gaining a yard or so on the exit of the corners, where the 4WD helped, i keep pace with it on the straights, so was a little surprised by the speed of them. A friend of mine has recently bought a S1 997 C4S, and that is incredible, from the nice interior to the speed and handling of it. Having had a very recent experience following a 55plate Aston V8 Vantage and the 997 C4S, id say they are very similar regarding straight line speed. Not sure what id pick over the Carrera or the Aston. Id say the 997 is worth the extra if you can stretch to it, but would say the extra maintance and potential issues with the 996 era cars isnt worth the step from an HR 350. The 350 is also a rarer car too.

I think the thing with 911s is that you either get on with the RR layout, or you don't. For some it will always feel weird and awkward, for others it's the most natural thing in the world and you wonder why all cars aren't made like that. No right or wrong answer, just what people get comfortable with.

It took me a while to get used to the weight distribution, but as soon as you get that lightbulb moment it's like nothing else. :)

• Like 1

Not a fan of the 996 interiors, or the boxsters of the same age, think they are a little low rent for a car that was at that price when it was new. Followed a 996 C4S round a track a year or so again, and apart from gaining a yard or so on the exit of the corners, where the 4WD helped, i keep pace with it on the straights, so was a little surprised by the speed of them. A friend of mine has recently bought a S1 997 C4S, and that is incredible, from the nice interior to the speed and handling of it. Having had a very recent experience following a 55plate Aston V8 Vantage and the 997 C4S, id say they are very similar regarding straight line speed. Not sure what id pick over the Carrera or the Aston. Id say the 997 is worth the extra if you can stretch to it, but would say the extra maintance and potential issues with the 996 era cars isnt worth the step from an HR 350. The 350 is also a rarer car too.

It was the 997.2 where things improved, I agree with Dan, yes you can drive a 911 but you have to learn how to really get the best out of it, to understand that you need to live with one for a while