Please HELP ! Rear brake calliper removal (fitting new discs/pads)

RobPhoboS

Argh, another day - more hail & fail as I'm trying to do the rear discs pads today.

Yesterday was a total git, didn't have a 22mm socket - and the inner pads wouldn't come out, nor new ones go in - many hours and swearing persisted :lol:

Anyway, today I'm trying to do the rear and now it's a 19mm bolt (ffs why cant it be the same!), and the upper one I can access with a ratchet but the lower bolt I think I need a spanner, and of course I don't have a 19mm one - so off to halfords.

I've tried to undo the top calliper bolt but it's not budging at all - any tips ?

And I presume with the lower one, a spanner will do ?

Hey guys - well, I have that very bar actually (managed to break one before :lol: but they did replace it!) - there wasn't the room to really use it imho.

In short - the bottom bolt has started rounding - I stopped, put it all back together and will take it to my local guys now :surrender:

(I was taking it to them anyway for the lines/fluid change).

Now I need to get some bolts because I think I'd rather some fresh ones in there, plus I snapped one of the front bolts holding the line bracket. :wacko:

ZMANALEX still here ?

Edited by RobPhoboS

Make sure you use single hex sockets ( 6 sided ) and keep them square on the bolt as you try and undo it.

Sometimes its easier to use a decent ring spanner and hit it with a nylon mallet to shock it lose.

Its not so much the bolts but the length, theres about four threads clear through the lugs and (when you get the bolt out) you'll find the bolt is clean and corrosion free apart from this exposed bit and its this that will do the damage so get a bit of folded emery paper in there to clean it a bit and oil from the rear, out, in, out, in, etc, don't spare the oil... Hope this helps...