Cloudy headlights

clockwize

Hey guys,

My headlights are getting cloudy to the point that it might fail the next MOT (I think..). its inside the lights, condensation build up etc.. I've read about baking the lights to break the seal, and then cleaning the inside, refinishing the inside. Good plan or is that a really bad idea? I read something about UV coating or something (which I'd probably polish off)?

Don't really want to buy new lights, they're bloody expensive!

You'd be surprised, it's actually on the surface of the plastic, it's caused by the UV of the sun. A gentle cutting compound being rubbed on it with a microfibre will buff it out.

Personally I use this every few months on it as it's very gentle:

http://www.shiningmonkey.co.uk/shop/4579423065/Clean-Repair/6544546

:) Supposedly toothpaste also works, but I've not tried that myself :)

• Like 1

You'd be surprised, it's actually on the surface of the plastic, it's caused by the UV of the sun. A gentle cutting compound being rubbed on it with a microfibre will buff it out.

http://www.shiningmo...-Repair/6544546

Hmm, ok, a few people have said about it being on the outside.. it just looks so insidey and you can't feel it on the outside :/ Maybe I'll try some random headlight restorer from halfrauds first.. need to go there tonight anyway.

Cheers

Hmm, ok, a few people have said about it being on the outside.. it just looks so insidey and you can't feel it on the outside :/ Maybe I'll try some random headlight restorer from halfrauds first.. need to go there tonight anyway.

Cheers

Because the headlights are plastic, the UV makes them go cloudy, it's the same as say a slide in the garden, the colour will fade, but it will feel the same. A gentle cutting compound will remove basically a tiny layer of the plastic, buffing the haze out. You want something very gentle so that you don't actually scratch the plastic. Some headlight restoring kits have lots of steps including sand paper of various grades. What you want is something like t-cut if you have it, t-cut is very harsh though, so I wouldn't really recommend that :)

• Like 1

Cheers

Because the headlights are plastic, the UV makes them go cloudy, it's the same as say a slide in the garden, the colour will fade, but it will feel the same. A gentle cutting compound will remove basically a tiny layer of the plastic, buffing the haze out. You want something very gentle so that you don't actually scratch the plastic. Some headlight restoring kits have lots of steps including sand paper of various grades. What you want is something like t-cut if you have it, t-cut is very harsh though, so I wouldn't really recommend that :)

Ok mate, I'll see what they have to offer :) was just looking at a maguiars product, had 5 star reviews, everyone saying their car failed MOT and they'd been quoted £XXX to replace headlights and this cost £15 and now they look new, etc... :)

Cheers

Ok mate, I'll see what they have to offer :) was just looking at a maguiars product, had 5 star reviews, everyone saying their car failed MOT and they'd been quoted £XXX to replace headlights and this cost £15 and now they look new, etc... :)

Have a look at the MAG Headlight Restorer I just posted.... :scare: :scare:

Although polycarbonate is a very hard plastic, it is very porous. While there are many advantages to using polycarbonate, one major drawback is that over time oxidation can change the physical properties of the headlight lens surface. The lenses have a factory applied UV resistant .03 mil thick silicone coating to help protect and preserve the porousplastic from the environment. Once this protective barrier weakens and wears, the lenses are exposed to many elements. Daily exposure to the sun's harsh UV rays is the biggest contributor to the deterioration (oxidation) and discoloring of the polycarbonate lens surface. However, UV rays and heat from the sun isn't the only culprit; intense heat from the halogen bulb also has a negative effect over time...as does acid rain, humidity, insects, road debris, chemicals, vehicle exhaust, and car wash brushes.

Edited by GIXXERUK

Cheers

£10.95 on ebay

I can recommend the megs kit. My headlights were pretty cloudy, but a quick bit of polishing using the drill attachment and a quick buff with a microfibre and they look B)

Edited by Sized

Cheers

£10.95 on ebay

Well worth it.

You only need a small amount and do it every month never a problem with the lights again. :thumbs:

3m do a great kit for 30 odd quid with the drill attachments, the compound, the papers and instructions, works amazing.

DRILL?! Compound and a microfibre should be enough! It doesn't take much to sort it out, just some small tight circles by hand should be enough

• Like 1

After using the Megs Headlight Restorer, you may wish to consider using this as a top coat to protect against further UV damage.

Glass Sealant, UV Inhibitor and Coating 50ml by Glass Polish Ltd

I've bought some but have yet to try it.

Just done my head light one was looking old, just got some T cut on it lift it for ten min then buffed it up by hand , repeated this 3or4 times then just but some Wax-polish on it looks really good :-) it's a cheap and easy way cos everyone's got T cut in there shed

Here is what it came out like

u6e9ymu5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Briggsybriggs1

Just done my head light one was looking old, just got some T cut on it lift it for ten min then buffed it up by hand , repeated this 3or4 times then just but some Wax-polish on it looks really good :-) it's a cheap and easy way cos everyone's got T cut in there shed

u6e9ymu5.jpg

Nice one :) be good to have a before picture too though :)

u6e9ymu5.jpg

Nice one :) be good to have a before picture too though :)

Found some they were taken on iPad so not that good

6emaveqy.jpg

5ubugy4a.jpg

Mine must have been really bad then! Tried Autosol, toothpaste aswell as Meg's Plast-x but nothing helped. Ended up spending 3 hrs on the lights sanding them back with a hard grade paper, then moving up and up in the grades, the polishing them and finally using the Plast-x and a polishing head on a drill.

It did get rid of the cloudiness, could do with more polishing but that's me being a perfectionist!

Mine must have been really bad then! Tried Autosol, toothpaste aswell as Meg's Plast-x but nothing helped. Ended up spending 3 hrs on the lights sanding them back with a hard grade paper, then moving up and up in the grades, the polishing them and finally using the Plast-x and a polishing head on a drill.

It did get rid of the cloudiness, could do with more polishing but that's me being a perfectionist!

sounds like you had fun on them the I just did them when doing the hole car so it prob was about 15 min a side ,