What machine polisher for a novice?

stuarty

I've decided to have a go at machine polishing my car myself.

I'm looking to invest in a machine polisher that's suitable for a beginner. I'm going to wash and cleanse my car, then machine polish and finish off with waxing.

I would appreciate any advice regarding machine polishers and products.

Das-6, dodo buff daddy, megs G220 they're pretty much all the same. Just go for whichever package gives the best deal. You can't go wrong with any of them.

+1 got the Das 6 and a rotary

Pads, product and technique play a bigger part than the make of the da as they are all decent

I'd definately go for a DA like the DAS6 (which is virtually the same as Meguiars but for half the price) rather than a rotary. If you've never used a rotary you run the risk of causing more damage than you're trying to repair as they are not as forgiving. Don't forget to claybar your car after washing and before polishing as you will get far, far better results.

I'd definately go for a DA like the DAS6 (which is virtually the same as Meguiars but for half the price) rather than a rotary. If you've never used a rotary you run the risk of causing more damage than you're trying to repair as they are not as forgiving. Don't forget to claybar your car after washing and before polishing as you will get far, far better results.

Great advice, but I'll never clay bar a car again! I clayed my wife's new mini 2 years ago, using AG clay bar kit. It was a hot day and i apparently didn't use enough lube and i scratched the whole car to death, even the plastic pillar trims. It took a pro detailer 2 days to put it right and the scratches can still be seen to this day. Totally my fault though and not AG's. But in my opinion i used loads of lube but i think it was too warm a day.

Edited by stuarty

Use Bilt Hamber clay products as you can use plain old water as a lube so no excuse to not use enough. (Add a little car shampoo to get a little extra lube (oo-er, sounds a bit rude)) And remember to keep folding the clay after every 1 - 2 square foot of cleaning and don't rub - just glide it over the surface with little to no weight.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/bilt-hamber/auto-clay-original.aspx

I got this kit and it's excellent:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-lake-country-hydro-tech-and-menzerna-kit/prod_842.html

• Like 1

As long as claying is not done on hot panels on a hot day then following the advice above should cause not harm. Even if a little scratching appears it'll be gone by the time you polish it. I bought the DAS-6 pro as its a good inbetween DA

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/prod_673.html