Stone chip scratch

chirag1988

Sorry to see your beautiful Zed chirag1988 has been vandalized. :scare::rant: Definitely not an accidental scratch unfortunately. :byebye:

With something that big on such a visible panel of the car I'd pay for Chips Away or similar to sort it as unless you're experienced you'll never get as good a finish as it was.

Good luck and hope it's not too expensive to sort. :thumbs:

• Like 1

UPDATE - so the guy from chips away came down today and bad news :byebye: ...he can't fix it due to the location of the scratch. He said he wouldn't be able to blend it in properly and recommended that I take it to a bodyshop and get the rear quarter panel re-sprayed. It's not what I wanted to hear, but at least he didn't try to do a bodge job of it and leave me worse for wear...

I'm going to try to "clean it up" as best as I can with the scratch x and touch up pen for the time being until I can get it done for a reasonable price...

UPDATE - so the guy from chips away came down today and bad news :byebye: ...he can't fix it due to the location of the scratch. He said he wouldn't be able to blend it in properly and recommended that I take it to a bodyshop and get the rear quarter panel re-sprayed. It's not what I wanted to hear, but at least he didn't try to do a bodge job of it and leave me worse for wear...

I'm going to try to "clean it up" as best as I can with the scratch x and touch up pen for the time being until I can get it done for a reasonable price...

I had the same thing mine was a small scratch I wasn't happy with tried to touch it up and wet n dry it flat but ended up going through the paint a little, chips away could not do anything as it wouldn't blend in properly. I was quoted 180 at the body shop for the full panel I think the colour is repaired locally then full panel lacquered. I will have to live with it for now and get it sorted at a later date.

Why only key a car a few inches like that? Surely if you are thick scum you'd want to key the entire side not go in half heartedly.

Someone could have fallen against the car and scratched it with their zip or button perhaps?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Why only key a car a few inches like that? Surely if you are thick scum you'd want to key the entire side not go in half heartedly.

Someone could have fallen against the car and scratched it with their zip or button perhaps?

That was done by some scum just walking past with something sharp in his hand.. :rant: :rant:

Dont think anybody fell on it with a zip or button.... :scare: :scare:

Surprised that Chips Away cant fix it. Try another company, maybe the Chips Away guy is not very experienced. I had them fix a scratch (vandalised) on wife's black metallic car some years back and after they had done it I could not even find where the scratch had been. Middle of the bonnet. 3 years later when car sold you could still not tell.

Just spoken to another guy who said he would charge £195 to do it. Sent him the pics. Said he needs to blend in the whole panel too when it comes to lacquering it. I'm still getting more opinions, but it's not looking like it's gonna be cheap...might just touch up for now until I can afford a couple of hundred quid to get it done properly...

That was done by some scum just walking past with something sharp in his hand.. :rant: :rant:

You seem to know an awful lot about how this occurred, Will.... just where were you at the time of the incident? :stir:

Just playing devil's advocate a bit (more) here, that appears to be roughly at handbag-on-elbow height...

You seem to know an awful lot about how this occurred, Will.... just where were you at the time of the incident? :stir:

Just playing devil's advocate a bit (more) here, that appears to be roughly at handbag-on-elbow height...

Unfortunately mate I've had it done to many of my cars joys of living in London. :rant:

Some scrote carved into the bonnet of my Black Range Rover..And I mean carved..F***ck Arsenal..!! :angry:

I'm sure it was SMD...!! ;)

Edited by WhackyWill

• 3 weeks later...

Chirag, you have my sympathy as some sh**bag did exactly the same to my Azure blue but on the passenger side. I'd left my Zed for half an hour while I went for a dental check up and came back to an 18inch long scratch right over the rear wheel arch. I used 2000grit then 2500grit wet 'n' dry to gently knock the edges off it and then used Nissan Azure Blue (B17) touch up paint. I applied the paint with a cocktail stick as I don't see how anyone can do a neat job with those crappy brushes that come with the kit. It took an age to 'dab' the paint along the length of the scratch but by the time I'd completed the scratch I could start again as the other end was dry. I then rubbed it down with 2500grit again, gave it another coat and left it overnight. Another gentle rub down with 2500grit, then I applied the clearcoat. I'll be the first to admit it wasn't perfect but unless you knew it was there it wasn't exactly obvious.

Ah mate that sounds terrible! I don't get why these w*nkers feel like they have to vandalise someone else's hard earned pride and joy just to get a cheap thrill out of it. I was planning on doing mine today but the on-off rain meant I couldn't. Just managed to give the car a quick wash and then had to leave out the wax coz of the rain. Will look for another chance when the weather holds up a bit.

• Like 1