Stone chip scratch

chirag1988

So after meeting the missus I drove home down the a406. As I got out I saw this. Now I heard the odd stone hitting the car but didn't think it would be this bad. What would people recommend? Touch up paint or get "chips away" people to do it?

0BDDF733-D2AB-45B6-A237-697ED7B20512.jpg

51517E88-259A-4BE2-8095-ADC7E5E5954C.jpg

E9F2C380-59D5-4C55-9BA3-A4A6976B99F1.jpg

I'd try meguiars scratch x and a touch up pen first. May still look crap but worth the tenner or so.

Then failing that dent magic or similar. Will probably cost a good £50+ though id imagine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

cheers mate - where's the best place to get a touch up pen?

So after meeting the missus I drove home down the a406. As I got out I saw this. Now I heard the odd stone hitting the car but didn't think it would be this bad.

You didn't notice that when you got in or the last time you used the car?

So after meeting the missus I drove home down the a406. As I got out I saw this. Now I heard the odd stone hitting the car but didn't think it would be this bad.

It only happened yesterday because it wasn't there on Monday. I'd parked up outside her house and it was dark when I got back in the car. I only noticed it when I pulled up on my drive at home because I've got a security floodlight and it showed up under the light :(

I've just ordered some of that meguiars scratch x. Just need to know where's the best place to get a touch up pen now?

I had a hire car on holiday once, and some thief stole both rear lights off it and I didn't notice until the old bill stopped me. :scare:

• Like 1

Best bet for that if your confident is to fill the scratch with touch up pen, ideally mix the colour and clear coat together and slowly build the layers. Then if your confident get some 2500-3000 grade and wetsand it or just polish it.

Best bet for that if your confident is to fill the scratch with touch up pen, ideally mix the colour and clear coat together and slowly build the layers. Then if your confident get some 2500-3000 grade and wetsand it or just polish it.

Should I sand it lightly first as well to remove the upper layer scuffs? Or will the megs scratch x do that for me?

Polish it first to remove any scratching, then if you have some alcohol wipe the scratch down so the touch up will take nicely and isn't going ontop of any polish. Once the touch up is built up just above the existing paint, wet sand it (leave the paper to soak in a bowl with alittle fairy liquid for an hour or so) till it's flush with your other paint and polish it to remove the sanding marks and help blend it in. If your polishing by hand I would stick to a higher grade paper so you have a better chance of removing the marks.

Polish it first to remove any scratching, then if you have some alcohol wipe the scratch down so the touch up will take nicely and isn't going ontop of any polish. Once the touch up is built up just above the existing paint, wet sand it (leave the paper to soak in a bowl with alittle fairy liquid for an hour or so) till it's flush with your other paint and polish it to remove the sanding marks and help blend it in. If your polishing by hand I would stick to a higher grade paper so you have a better chance of removing the marks.

Thank you nimbus. I've ordered the touch up paint from nissan today and they should have it on Friday. I've got megs polish at home already so I'll try that, otherwise I'll try scratch x when it arrives.

How long should I let the paint dry in between coats?

I'll attempt this on the weekend.

I would just get a "scratch away" company to come around my house

and do it properly for about £50 rather than pi55 about with it, and you my still

not have a satisfactory job and you will only have to re-do it. :surrender:

Well I've got the chap from Chips Away coming down tomorrow to give me a quote anyway so if it is around £50 or so I'll happily pay it to have it done properly

Thank you nimbus. I've ordered the touch up paint from nissan today and they should have it on Friday. I've got megs polish at home already so I'll try that, otherwise I'll try scratch x when it arrives.

How long should I let the paint dry in between coats?

I'll attempt this on the weekend.

Ammo Drive Clean video on the subject. Some good tips.

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 1

If chips away charge that then get it done.

Going by Darren about that price, plus vat, I would have thought the chips away

man could give you a quote by just sending him the photos, rather than doing a visit ?. :blush:

I did suggest that but he said he'll be out on appointments anyway so he'll swing by. My mum will be at home so he can check the car while it's parked on the drive.

Here's hoping! :mellow:

I think Nissan sell the touch up sets pretty cheap mate. A tenner or so sounds familiar.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I went to nissan today and they have to order it in. Said it'll be here on Friday. Only cost me a fiver so not much money lost there. But like I said, if the chips away guy says around £50 I'll just get him to do it without having to faff around and possibly doing a crap job of it myself...