Dog GPS tracking devices advice

Yampiedog

Well on Sunday my dog got lost whilst out on a walk and took nearly two hours to find him. Somehow he found his way home - will never know how he crossed the main road without incident! However he did somehow injure himself on his adventures by splitting a claw, he is all good now after having affected claw removed and making an excellent recovery. Anyway I am now looking into buying a GPS tracking device that can be monitored live. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have seen several devices available but they all look severely overpriced and then they asked for monthly fee too.

Thanks

Well on Sunday my dog got lost whilst out on a walk and took nearly two hours to find him. Somehow he found his way home - will never know how he crossed the main road without incident! However he did somehow injure himself on his adventures by splitting a claw, he is all good now after having affected claw removed and making an excellent recovery. Anyway I am now looking into buying a GPS tracking device that can be monitored live. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have seen several devices available but they all look severely overpriced and then they asked for monthly fee too.

Thanks

I looked in the past. There are several on the market from memory but they seemed to be quite bulky and battery life limited.

They can also be removed which considering the price put me off.

Glad your four legged friend made it home relatively safely home.

How about a cheap android mobile phone with GPS fixed to his collar ???

not sure how you'd track it tho, maybe this -

https://play.google....m.fsp.android.c

https://play.google....wheresmyandroid

I'm sure this is a viable option, I just need to source a trackable GPS device and attach to the dog. I can't believe the cost of the devices on the market and then the monthly fees. I have also wondered how these Geocache tags work - cost less than a fiver, guess need to subscribe to a Geocache site though but still probably a more cheaper cost effective option.

I also have one of those L0c8tor devices, actually use it as a car tracker.

They charge for GPS credits as you can log onto a website and do your tracking, as well as set up "boundaries" where you can receive SMS alerts if your car (or dog) leaves a certain boundary.

Most things, such as Tile, are just Bluetooth tags. E.G, if you have one in your wallet and walk away from it, the tag will lose connection with your phone, then all the app does is tell you the last place it saw the tag, but these are no good if your dog runs away, it will only tel you the last time the dog got far enough away from your phone to lose the Bluetooth link.

http://www.pawtrax.co.uk/

I have one of these for my cat. He only has three legs so sometimes he can get into gardens but not out again, so I need to be able to find him. You ring it and it cuts off then responds with a text message with coordinates for Google maps so you can find them, you can also track their movements if you want. You need to put a pay as you go sim in it, but I got one with 300 free texts a month and put £10 on it and haven't had to top it up in 2.5 years. Its accurate up to a few metres, but if they're not in sight of a signal (inside/bad signal area) it will send you coordinates of where it last picked a signal up. You can also set up boundary alerts, if he goes further than you want him to it will text you. It will also text you when if the battery is running low and what percentage of power it has left. It does have an SOS button but he's not learnt to use it yet lol

Edited by Voodoo Vix
  • Like 1