Road Trip: Texas or Florida?

Stutopia

I've talked a few mates into a road trip in the US, but I want to go:

In and around Florida; Miami, The Keys, Everglades, Cape Canaveral, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans.

Another wants to go:

In and around Texas; Dallas, Houston, Austin, New Orleans, Cows, Horses, Fat People.

Anyone been to one, or ideally, both states? Got any advice or suggestions? Any MUST SEE places or MUST DO activities? Thanks, Stu.

PS - I realise that New Orleans is in neither state, but we would do a drive out, also if there's something amazeballz in a neighbouring state, please do tell.

My dad lives in Texas so have been there quite a few times. It's not the best state for tourism....space centre is great and there is a few old war ships but that's about it.

Either way New Orleans is an awesome place and a must do city. Make sure you you go down the Mississippi on a steam boat, here you get all the views of the city and abandoned flooded areas.

http://www.steamboatnatchez.com/

Whilst in New Orleans you can go tubing down the river, such a great activity in the heat. One tube each and then a separate one for the beer B)

http://www.myneworle...w-Tube-Article/

Edited by 370Ad

I did the East to West coast road trip ( NYC to LA ) via Washington, Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Littlerock, Dallas, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Vegas, San Diego and finally hit LA. Those were the main places we hit along the route but with many other smaller towns etc along the way. Total of 4562 Miles and hitting 14 states over 3 weeks and would do it again in a heart beat, it was a road trip and a half :teeth:

Next one will probably be a West coast road trip from Seattle to San Diego.

• Like 1

I have been to Texas on business but never on holiday. To be honest I am not sure how much there will be to see.

I used to live in Atlanta so have been to many of the places you mention in the Florida tour. I think you will find more places of interest there.

My favourite though is the West Coast - Seattle down to San Diego and everywhere in-between.

I did the East to West coast road trip ( NYC to LA ) via Washington, Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Littlerock, Dallas, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Vegas, San Diego and finally hit LA. Those were the main places we hit along the route but with many other smaller towns etc along the way. Total of 4562 Miles and hitting 14 states over 3 weeks and would do it again in a heart beat, it was a road trip and a half :teeth:

Count me in. Love San Diego and some cracking roads/places en route, we did San Diego to Frisco.

Count me in. Love San Diego and some cracking roads/places en route, we did San Diego to Frisco.

When we going..... :)

We did a loop, SF > LA > San Diego > Flagstaff > Grand Canyon > Vegas > Yosemite > Fresno > Sacramento > SF in 2011, loved it and immediately decided to go back to the US in future. I'd love to do a cross country but it limits the cars on offer and there's a penalty to pay for leaving it somewhere else, so looking at another loop.

I'd like to get out of state check out the UFOs in New Mexico if we're going to fly into somewhere in Texas.

For me, Florida made a pretty boring drive. The Everglades are all fenced off so you can see very little. Drove down from Orlando to The Glades and back all in a day, the only thing of interest were a huge lake and dam constructed and maintained by The U.S army and a handful of alligators :shrug: . Cape Canaveral was pretty cool though, went there twice and got inside a full size shuttle mockup. Didn't really like the weather either, hot and very humid with a huge thunderstorm every day. Never been to Texas so can't comment on that.

I've also driven San Diego to Los Angeles and I've done both the coastal and inland drives L.A to S.F. The best driving roads though are all well inland, lots of great routes in Colorado including the Million Dollar Highway, Monarch Pass and Pike's Peak Highway.

Pete

It was good to chat to you on Sunday Pete, especially about your trips to the States. Colorado is on the list, but it just won't be this time I don't think. Gives me something to plan for after this though!

It was good to chat to you on Sunday Pete, especially about your trips to the States. Colorado is on the list, but it just won't be this time I don't think. Gives me something to plan for after this though!

Yeah, good to chat with you too. I believe the trip you did is known as the Golden Triangle. The first time I went to The States that's basically the trip I did although I didn't go down to San Diego and Yosemite wasn't possible due to The Tioga Pass being closed with snow. It was really only on my 3rd trip that I ventured out of Golden Triangle territory and discovered some amazing places in Utah and on my next trip Colorado. It was all different back then without the internet to research the various National and State Parks, I just planned out my trips from an Atlas :lol:. There are some great places to visit in not only Colorado but Utah, Arizona and New Mexico too. There are some great roads to drive, for example Cottonwood Canyon and The Waterpocket Fold a couple of backroads in Utah. It's a shame that most visitors to The South Western part of The States only get to see a small part of what is the worlds greatest collection of National Parks.

Pete

I've worked in both and there are an equal amount of things to do and see, however given the choice I'd go and do Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama again. New Orleans is bloody awesome and Mobile in Alabama is a great place too. As it happens I'm off to Miami and the Keys for a holiday in May but I'm not doing a massive road trip otherwise I'd be considering the Deep South myself!

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, they had a 911 too, but the quote was $15k for three weeks! :scare:

I really fancied a Challenger this time but the rear seating wasn't going to be much fun for anyone, so fully Camaro'd up.

We're getting an SS convertible this time round. Had a Mustang GT and a Corvette last time.

Try to make the engine management light come on after 10 days and take the car in late on the afternoon. Good chances are that there will be no equivalent replacements and they have to upgrade you....in our case it was the Corvette.

We're getting an SS convertible this time round. Had a Mustang GT and a Corvette last time.

Try to make the engine management light come on after 10 days and take the car in late on the afternoon. Good chances are that there will be no equivalent replacements and they have to upgrade you....in our case it was the Corvette.

Very sneaky tip that.

I need a minimum of three seats, so I guess I'd get the Mercedes E350 convertible :(

Reckon there'll be some decent jap car stores I could maybe pick up a couple of mods from?

Most of the US car stores I've been to over there are a bit poor... :( but I'm sure there's one or two tuning places about, any on google?