Road noise

N13GEY

As a recent convert to the Zed, I must say firstly that I'm thrilled with the car. I look fwd to driving this machine and look for every opportunity to take her for a spin.

There is one thing I'd look to improve, if at all possible. Has anyone had experience of reducing road noise? Sound proof material under the carpet? Or??? Any ideas would be welcomed. Nigel

Some dynamatt in the rear would help. The issue is mostly the spare wheel well. There is no sound deadening at all to speak of in the rear, just that wafer thin carpet and the wheel well is like a giant drum!

You could remove all the rear plastics and dynamatt the entire area of the boot and refit in under 2-3 hrs. Would help hugely but wouldn't be a cheap fix.

• Like 1

I don't seem to get much road noise from the rear but then I do have the "upgrade" thick 350Z rear boot carpet which is on top of the thin standard carpet so that's got to help cut down the noise. ;)

The carpet I'm on about is in the below picture on the left. Sometimes come up for sale second hand for around £40-£60 I believe. :thumbs:

252C5A00-699D-4354-BA46-0238F5966046-587-000000F16BB3932D_zps7ddf567f.jpg

• Like 2

I don't seem to get much road noise from the rear but then I do have the "upgrade" thick 350Z rear boot carpet which is on top of the thin standard carpet so that's got to help cut down the noise. ;)

The carpet I'm on about is in the below picture on the left. Sometimes come up for sale second hand for around £40-£60 I believe. :thumbs:

252C5A00-699D-4354-BA46-0238F5966046-587-000000F16BB3932D_zps7ddf567f.jpg

I did the same in my 370, 2 rear carpets one thick with a 370z logo oem I got off eBay brand new in a Nissan bag £25 B)

No doubt dynamatting the rear will improve matters but its a big area, I think the arches transfer a lot of road noise but I know someone who did the whole of the rear and they were not impressed. They then did inside the doors and said that made a bigger difference ?

It's not a cheap fix with fat mat, dynamatt or whatever

• Like 1

Thanks eve tone for your help and advice. I'm probably going down the Fatmat route, on the basis that it's less expensive + a thicker mat. I'll feed back my findings when done. Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I've been trolling eBay tonight and I did see a thick rear carpet mat for sale.

New: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Nissan-350z-Boot-Mat-/400244956938?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d30755f0a

Bit expensive but they usually are. If you keep your eye's peeled though you may spot a good second hand one at half the price. :thumbs:

• Like 1

what tyres are you running? asymmetrical tyres (ie ones with continuous lines of rubber round them, Michelin PS2s, Conti Sportcontacts) tend to be quieter than directional tyres (falken FK452s, Hankook Ventus V12s)

Having run both types that's my impression too.

Pete

• Like 1