Road trip to the alps - a rough guide

SteveM

So following a few conversations with Will370 and after chatting with a few guys yesterday I though I would post up a rough guide to what's possible and the rough costs involved

Day 1 (Saturday)

Trip down to the tunnel, quick crossing then into Belgium and down into Germany avoiding tolls and aiming for Heidelberg for the first nights stay. 470 miles (approx) 1 hour down to the tunnel and 6 hours to heidelburg plus an hour at some point for lunch. Day 1 will want to start early!

Day 2 (Sunday)

Down from Heidelberg to Baden Baden then onto the route 500 through the Black Forest and onto lucerne in the Swiss alps. 250 miles and about 6 hours driving

Day 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 (Monday through Friday) explore the mountains! Klausen pass, susten pass, furka pass, San Bernardino pass, splugen pass, stelvio pass, silvretta pass, hahntennjoch pass..... Approx 250 miles a day taking between 6 to 8 hours depending on stops, photos and re runs of particularly good bits of road!

Day 8 (Saturday)

Start heading north again back up through Germany unknown destination but assume 250 miles and 6 hours

Day 9 (Sunday)

The long trip home, 470 miles getting home late afternoon early evening

Day 10 (Monday)

Back to work with loads of stories and amazing pictures!

Costs

Tunnel £140 return

Food and drink allow £40 to £45 a day. This could be less or more depending on drinks and meals but I have found £40 a day is plenty! £320 for the week

Hotels, allow £100 a night. I know for sure you won't pay this every night but if you get a couple of night at £80 a night it allows you to have a couple of plush nights at £120. 8 nights £800

Petrol. This will all depend on how heavy your right foot is but I did a similar trip last year and over a couple of thousand miles averaged 25mpg. The trip above is approx 2500 miles that's 100 gallons or 455 litres. At £1.50 a ltr that's approx £680

Keep a few euros aside for any extras but the above is the minimum based on staying in hotels

Total £2k give or take.... Two of you in a car obviously reduces costs. Yes it's pricey but by god is it worth it! Rather than spending on mods for your car actually get out there and spend it on driving it ;)

photo_zpsb6ef4bd5.jpg

photo_zpsddb80398.jpg

Yep have seen a few threads with similar ideas... 2 weeks is a bit full on. I know a week seems a short time to get all that in but after a week of driving roads like that you are knackered!!!! Last year we did the French side, gorge du verdon and Monaco, col du turini area.

This thread has reminded me to properly start planning our trip to Belgium/Switzerland via the Belgium GP :)

Day 1-2 (Saturday - Sunday)

UK to Zurich - 735 miles : 12hrs.

16th August: Reims - 1 Night.

17th Zurich - 1 night.

Day 3-4 (Monday-Tuesday):

Zurich to Pass - 160 miles: 4hs.

18-19th: Pass (Sargen) - 2 nights.

Day 5 (Wednesday):

Sargen to Stuttgart - 200 miles: 3hr.

20th: Stuttgart - 1 Night

Day 6-7-8 (Thursday / Friday / Saturday):

Stuttgart to Spa - 264 miles: 4hrs

21-23st: Spa - 3 Nights

Day 8-9 (Sunday - Monday):

Spa to Brussels - 90 miles: 1hr

24-25th: Brussels - 2Night

Brussels to UK - 340mils: 6hr

26th UK.

Total miles: 1800, 35 mpg, £1.50/L. £350 (The 335i is much more economical than the Z on a long run :p )

9 Nights Hotels £1200.

10 Days - food, £700

Tunnel costs - £140

So all £2500 should cover it....Cannot wait, hopefully by the time the F1 circus gets to Spa the cars will actually be working :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

This thread has reminded me to properly start planning our trip to Belgium/Switzerland via the Belgium GP :)

Day 1-2 (Saturday - Sunday)

UK to Zurich - 735 miles : 12hrs.

16th August: Reims - 1 Night.

17th Zurich - 1 night.

Day 3-4 (Monday-Tuesday):

Zurich to Pass - 160 miles: 4hs.

18-19th: Pass (Sargen) - 2 nights.

Day 5 (Wednesday):

Sargen to Stuttgart - 200 miles: 3hr.

20th: Stuttgart - 1 Night

Day 6-7-8 (Thursday / Friday / Saturday):

Stuttgart to Spa - 264 miles: 4hrs

21-23st: Spa - 3 Nights

Day 8-9 (Sunday - Monday):

Spa to Brussels - 90 miles: 1hr

24-25th: Brussels - 2Night

Brussels to UK - 340mils: 6hr

26th UK.

Total miles: 1800, 35 mpg, £1.50/L. £350 (The 335i is much more economical than the Z on a long run :p )

9 Nights Hotels £1200.

10 Days - food, £700

Tunnel costs - £140

So all £2500 should cover it....Cannot wait, hopefully by the time the F1 circus gets to Spa the cars will actually be working :lol:

If I was you, I'd try avoiding the Brussels area unless you have a traffic jam fetish.

If you can avoid the ring road around Brussels the better, from experience the traffic is horrendous there no matter what time of the day it is