Considering a 2003 auto import

Macnore

Hello forum, hopeing for some advice.

Currently looking at 2003 auto import which has allegedly 80 k on the clock.

Could any one give me any pointers and what should I expect to pay less than if it was a UK car.

Been doing a bit of research what to look out for and ok with the known faults however a bit nervous to commit.

I know that I'll have 350z glasses on when I view and get a test drive, so if any one could advise the best way to have the car checked.

Any advise much appreciated.

Hello and thanks for replies.

Geography of this one is not easy, I am based in Glasgow and the car is in the Leicester

area, so would be ideal if some in the Leicester area could meet me to view, of course beer tokens available.

Was thinking of getting the RAC or AA to check over before I come down to view, but by then I'll be a couple of hundred quid lighter.

Also suspect they won't really know what to look for.

Ideal if a member could volunteer their knowledge.

Would'nt really want an auto, but this one is going for a song and suspect there may be a reason for that.

Most certainly is an Import as the free reg check sites are showing the Registration as registered in 2007, but the registration is a 2003 03. Also all the auto are japs.

No auto seems to have been made for the il market.

The import idea and the fact it is an auto does'nt put me off, more concerned I am not going to get ripped off.

Not really looked for mega speed, just a bit of oomf when you need it, also is supposed to be also semi auto.

To travel the £300 miles means you've not got much of a lever to negotiate and to walk away would be the waste of full day driving and £80 in diesel to get down and back.

Also would need to nurse the 350 back to get it checked out properly.

So would really need to be prepared for the worst when I get there, and if needs be about turn.

Any help and assistance if I was to view much appreciated and of course an envelope with some folding ones for your time.

Thanks Cammie.

Hello again,

Has or would you guys use an AA inspection or RAC for a couple hundred quid according to their web site they will check over a car and provide a report on it.

This may be a possible option for me, this would save me making the trip if the car is no use, they also guarantee

Up to 10k or 20k dependant on what type of inspection you went for.

For the risk of losing a couple of hundred may be worth the risk.

Don't suppose any one has used type of inspection. ?

Only thing with this option is risk may be they won't know any thing about these cars , and losing inspection cost if the car is a hanger.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Apologies if I have offended members, I was unsure where to put my post.

Don't know what you mean by send a PM.

I assume cs is a member, would I look for them in the members tab ? And then send a private message .?

I assume cs is a member, would I look for them in the members tab ? And then send a private message .?

That's ok fella, just because you don't spend every minute on Internet forums doesn't mean you have to apologise for not following/understanding normal forum operating procedures.

It's cool, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Anyway, yes, PM is short for Private Message, which is what it suggests, a message hidden from the public boards and other members. It's the best way to do private business and ask direct questions.

Correct, CS is an active member, spend not too long looking at the boards and you'll see his name, you can then click that and it will give you further options, one of which will be to send a PM.

I don't know for a fact about this one but most forums have a members list, I'd expect this place to have one TBH (to be honest), have a snoop around for it and locate CS.

You'll be creating your own memes in no time !!!

That's ok fella, just because you don't spend every minute on Internet forums doesn't mean you have to apologise for not following/understanding normal forum operating procedures.

It's cool, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Anyway, yes, PM is short for Private Message, which is what it suggests, a message hidden from the public boards and other members. It's the best way to do private business and ask direct questions.

Correct, CS is an active member, spend not too long looking at the boards and you'll see his name, you can then click that and it will give you further options, one of which will be to send a PM.

I don't know for a fact about this one but most forums have a members list, I'd expect this place to have one TBH (to be honest), have a snoop around for it and locate CS.

You'll be creating your own memes in no time !!!

Cougar Store section

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/94-cougar-store/

CS Member profile

http://www.350z-uk.com/user/8724-cs/

This will be taken the wrong way; But to me a Japanese Import with Automatic transmission is the work of the devil, lol

It seemed to be the easy way out, a way to spend as little money as possible. I saw loads for sale whilst looking for a car and avoided them like the plague. Maybe I was wrong to.

Bear in mind I paid £4550 for my 2004 UK GT Manual. I paid about £2000 less than what other sellers were demanding mainly just because of the mileage. With 117,000 miles on the clock alot of potential buyers were put off. But with full service history and the booklet fully stamped up, I made a cheeky offer and got the car for what I consider to be a bargain.

I budgeted a few grand to put to one side incase anything bad went wrong of course. But you can spend £3000 on a 350Z or £10,000. In my opinion if something is going to go wrong it will.

What is your budget and how much is the car in question? It would have to be £3500 or less for me to consider it. If you can save another £1000 or so you can get a UK GT like mine. One must pop at some point.

Mileage snobs will tell you to avoid one with any more than 30,000 on it though lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

This will be taken the wrong way; But to me a Japanese Import with Automatic transmission is the work of the devil, lol

It seemed to be the easy way out, a way to spend as little money as possible. I saw loads for sale whilst looking for a car and avoided them like the plague. Maybe I was wrong to.

Bear in mind I paid £4550 for my 2004 UK GT Manual. I paid about £2000 less than what other sellers were demanding mainly just because of the mileage. With 117,000 miles on the clock alot of potential buyers were put off. But with full service history and the booklet fully stamped up, I made a cheeky offer and got the car for what I consider to be a bargain.

I budgeted a few grand to put to one side incase anything bad went wrong of course. But you can spend £3000 on a 350Z or £10,000. In my opinion if something is going to go wrong it will.

What is your budget and how much is the car in question? It would have to be £3500 or less for me to consider it. If you can save another £1000 or so you can get a UK GT like mine. One must pop at some point.

Mileage snobs will tell you to avoid one with any more than 30,000 on it though lol

Maybe he can only drive Auto's - they didn't make UK spec Auto's for the 350z.

The Auto box is an awesome bit of kit they created. The last rolling road, the auto import out performed most of us.

• Like 1

Grundy, he said on his second post he didn't really want an auto, I was going off of that. Of course the auto is the only option for some people, but to me I just couldn't have one. I've had heaps of autos in the past and some have possibly been faster than the manual equivalent with a shoddy driver. But I say if you can drive a manual, and want a manual, get a manual.

Obviously if budget is an issue this can put strain on such choices. Personally I would hold out for a manul. There are bargains to be had.

If the 370Z auto option was a double clutch box, I'd have had that, unfortunalty it's not and wasn't what I was looking for and would have pushed the price of the car further up into 911 regions.

Had to settle for a manual box, which is the weak point of the experiance for me.

Grundy, he said on his second post he didn't really want an auto, I was going off of that. Of course the auto is the only option for some people, but to me I just couldn't have one. I've had heaps of autos in the past and some have possibly been faster than the manual equivalent with a shoddy driver. But I say if you can drive a manual, and want a manual, get a manual.

Obviously if budget is an issue this can put strain on such choices. Personally I would hold out for a manul. There are bargains to be had.

Ah, honestly I've lost track of his posts in amongst these two threads. All I want is a bloody link :lol:

Hi

I own ( 2years now) a 2005 auto. Its a very good auto unit. Smooth,quiet and "tiptronic" so you can manually change gear. The sport mode button allows you to redline the rev counter if you wish to which allows full power to be used. If you reach 6300 rpm and tiptronic it you get the best out of the car.

Beware any auto that is not smooth or is noisy. I looked at several auto,s before i got mine and the boxes were "lumpy" in that 1 to 2 and 2 to3 were NOT smooth. Dont know if this was common fault as have not seen any postings before on auto boxes here. Be aware that auto boxes are very expensive to rebuild and would suspect that its probably cheaper to change box for a guaranteed used unit rather than repair, but thats only my opinion.No problems with my import only be aware that some imports are poorly served with "options" like cruise/satnav etc and of course brembo brakes.

JohnUKVetteNut :)

Going down tomorrow to view, car is £3800. So hoping to get a bit off it.

Mot till 2015 and 6 months tax on it.

If its all good and can't see anything wrong. I'll take a punt on it.

Will pay close attention to the gear box and the usual oil and water leeks etc, mayo in the oil.

I have expressed the seller to be honest with me before I hard down, as if there is any thing serious wrong with it I will find it and pretty quickly too.

Armed with a trolley jack and stands I'll get under it for a poke about it.

So wont be too chuffed if there are any serious issues.

He has assured me the want for nothing, and he sound like a more mature gent, 50 plus.

Did a HPI check and it didn't flag anything up apart from a private plate previously. No out standing finance, accidents etc.

It was imported in 2007 and the seller has all,the import docs.

An auto not ideally what i would want, but if its ok mechanically and in good enough condition then would be tempted.

Don't really have the budget for a GT with all the toys plus to go for a newer one with service history and the toys is out my budget.

Will post an update, fingers crossed.

Well made the trip, and alls good. Genuine couple, everything checked out and car was in near perfect condition.

Engine smooth as silk and pulls like a train.

Ran the 360 miles home and never missed a beat.

Kind of nursed it on the way up, but gave it the odd blast, amazing run and managed to do the 360 miles in just under 3/4 of a tank.

So motorways driving returned god mileage.

Spec for a jap import surprising good.

Went and seen a 2004 on the way down and the only difference was the leather, the dash has a blank door with a storage compartment in it.

Where the one I got has the jap sat nav, rear reversing camera and tv screen. DVD player is built into the rear area behind the drivers seat.

Need to brush up on my Japanese for the sat nav, but the reversing camera is a bonus I think.

No brembo bakes but the nissan ones stop ok.

Kind of glad I got the auto, as the gt gear changes were heavy, also has a semi auto which your can manually change up and down.

No cruise control which could have been handy on the way up.

But a couple of stops in the glorious sunshine they had down there rested the right foot, no need for my left foot now.

Could'nt believe what I paid for it, the jap import must put people off, but so so glad I made the trip and had a nice wee night in Leicester.

Would like to get it checked over, don't suppose anyone can suggest a good place or possibly a member that works on these in Glasgow area.

Thanks to all the replies and guidance.

• Like 2

Some many people think its worthless if its an import and especially if its an auto but 95% of these people have never even been in an auto 350 I've had mine for two and a half years and love it, it has a great box in it which as you said you can change yourself and take it to the red line. As for the specs mine is basically a gt without the cruise control and the sat nav is jap but everyone says the sat nav is @*!# anyway so not really much of a problem, but mine would only be worth 25% of a uk car because of these disabilities lol

Well made the trip, and alls good. Genuine couple, everything checked out and car was in near perfect condition.

Engine smooth as silk and pulls like a train.

Ran the 360 miles home and never missed a beat.

Kind of nursed it on the way up, but gave it the odd blast, amazing run and managed to do the 360 miles in just under 3/4 of a tank.

So motorways driving returned god mileage.

Spec for a jap import surprising good.

Went and seen a 2004 on the way down and the only difference was the leather, the dash has a blank door with a storage compartment in it.

Where the one I got has the jap sat nav, rear reversing camera and tv screen. DVD player is built into the rear area behind the drivers seat.

Need to brush up on my Japanese for the sat nav, but the reversing camera is a bonus I think.

No brembo bakes but the nissan ones stop ok.

Kind of glad I got the auto, as the gt gear changes were heavy, also has a semi auto which your can manually change up and down.

No cruise control which could have been handy on the way up.

But a couple of stops in the glorious sunshine they had down there rested the right foot, no need for my left foot now.

Could'nt believe what I paid for it, the jap import must put people off, but so so glad I made the trip and had a nice wee night in Leicester.

Would like to get it checked over, don't suppose anyone can suggest a good place or possibly a member that works on these in Glasgow area.

Thanks to all the replies and guidance.

I think that is a great buy. I wouldn't have any hang-ups about import or auto at that price. Hope you enjoy it :thumbs:

Re maintenance etc, there are a number of Scottish members on here. It would be worth you putting a separate posting up about that. For parts there is Clark Motorsport.

It's been a week now and have to say these are some cars, auto box is brilliant, and plenty fast, found the power button, which is the same as the sport button, totally changed the auto box settings, accelerates faster and changes up and down quicker a lot more responsive.

For normal driving the middle position is perfect.

Only got 1 x key with it and managed to et a spare cut at Crockets in Glasgow of all places, thought I would have struggled with it being an import, but Paul in Crockets, knows his stuff, and read the chip in the key and knew the chip, not common in immobiliser keys seemingly, but he had one and for £60 got piece of mind now, no remote locking function on the key, but at least it will open and start the car.

Would like to get the car checked over, so as suggested will start a newest for this.

Infinity at Hillington seems to be popular, but don't know if they would do like a health check.

Also digging about and some folks have used "the garage in Motherwell "

Used them a few times when a I had my RX8 and they were good, Henry the mechanic knew the Rx 8 well and sorted mine out.

Wonder if they know the 350's though.

Thanks again to all responses and so far so good with my new toy.

Will start a new post for garages and where's best to get work done.

Cheers

Cammie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes will get some pics and put them on.

It's going into infinity at Braehead for a P1 service and a health check, got the deals from other threads.

They seem very helpful, and the once I explained I had just got the car, the service manager came out and had a chat to me about what he will do as part of the Service.

Basically an oil and filter change, he will verify the service history and carry give a good check over , basically a health check.

Pretty good for £99 plus vat.

Fingers crossed nothing crops up.

Hopefully Glasgow weather will be kind at the weekend, get it washed and cleaned and get some pics.

Can't believe you can pick up one these for not a lot of money,, glad I went for the auto, effortless to drive.