Rota mxr, grid. gtr.....On a silver Z.

nowhereboy

I've spend most of my spare time at work today browsing wheels and I'm still undecided on what to go for. I had been talking to CS about the XXR527's but I'm not so sure on them anymore.

My car has the stock (not rays) wheels on at the minute and I've recently put new 225/45/18, 245/45/18 tyres on. I don't really fancy forking out an extra £500 for tyres. So I'm hoping they will fit on a future wheel purchase.

I'm hopeless when it comes to offsets and wheel sizes etc, I really like the look of the rota grids, with the staggered rears, I'd want them in 18's obviously. Is this possible with using my current tyres? On rimstyles website the standard grid 18's appear to come with 225/45 tyres so it looks promising right?

The other thing I'm debating is the colour. My Z is silver, I know gunmetal and hyper black will look awesome but I'm considering taking a risk and trying them in white to be a bit different. What do you guys think?

The other wheel that has caught my eye is the rota MXR in gold with polished lip. Again this is a pretty bold choice and I'm not sure I'd have the bottle to try it out. It could potentialy look awesome or completely horrible haha...

Help me out here guys, I'm desperate to get rid of the stock wheels :lol:

The staggered rota rears can be 9.5 or 10.5J wide, depending on if you wants dish, or just concave. So a standard rays 245 rear would be a tad stretched...

However, if you do get them white is a good choice. Google around as someone had a set of white rota grids on a silver zed and they look fantastic!

Ive got a silver zed with rota grid drifts if thats any help.Glad i went for the silver ones with the polished lip but was very close to ordering them in black but it seems to be the most common colour.

Staggered fitments 9.5 front and 10.5 rear.

3cf49817-9d19-4bd9-b36d-94dd3fc76727_zps16e3efc6.jpg

9565c837-7e68-4a18-a797-d4b27d407a80_zpsca3f3ec6.jpg

Had some GTRs before that too. 9.5 rear 8.5 front

350censored1.jpg

Edited by Tackleberry
  • Like 1

Not sure on how that much stretch would look, or how safe it would be. Could be very safe, could be very risky. I'll leave a tyre guru to wander in on that. However, I just did a google for 'silver 350z with white rota' and came up some the pics I was mentioning earlier. See below, lovely looking motor.

1016083_299745990162225_401547598_n.jpg

Bugger!

The one in that link looks great stevo, I'm going to have to wait another month or so if new tyres are needed tho, unless my bank manager is feeling freindly.

I'm getting seriously tempted to get a small loan out to buy coilovers, wheels and a few other bits. Must resist!

I've just noticed the one in the picture is running 245/45/18 on the fronts, which bassicly means I could put my rear tyres on the fronts and only need to buy rear tyres... Not quite so bad I guess.

if your on about the mine there 19s but yea you could run them on the fronts if you got 9.5j fronts

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

What if I went 8.5j front and 9.5j on the rears, would my tyres fit then? Would the wheels still fill the arches ok?

Yes you could do this and your current tyres will fit. You would maybe want an offset of about +10 though rather than the +20 that most with 9.5/10.5 run.

I think the white on silver looks awesome, I am afraid there is a but, the moment they start to get dirty they will look, well, dirty and bad, which will be as soon you drive with brake dust etc So unless you want to be wiping them down or cleaning them all the time stay well away ;)

I tend to clean my car atleast once a week so it shouldn't be too bad should it?

I've never seen any Z's in the flesh with rota's on, I could do with getting along to a meet or something to check some out. Pictures often don't do wheels justice, I once went to view a type r STI with white wheels, it looked average in the photos but amazing in the flesh.

I'm probably going to go all out and buy some coilovers too, driftworks are doing 0% finance and I'm considering paying cash for the wheels and financing a few other bits for the year. Are the HSD coilovers up to the job? I'm not fussy about ride comfort.

Edited by nowhereboy

I tend to clean my car atleast once a week so it shouldn't be too bad should it?

I've never seen any Z's in the flesh with rota's on, I could do with getting along to a meet or something to check some out. Pictures often don't do wheels justice, I once went to view a type r STI with white wheels, it looked average in the photos but amazing in the flesh.

I'm probably going to go all out and buy some coilovers too, driftworks are doing 0% finance and I'm considering paying cash for the wheels and financing a few other bits for the year. Are the HSD coilovers up to the job? I'm not fussy about ride comfort.

I am guessing you have never owned a white car, lol. White looks great no doubt, but imho they have to be pristinely clean to work and wheels just done stay clean for that long, 1 miles worth probably, lol :)

hsd are fine been using em for a year now no issue