Second car suggestions?

JMRolfe

Hi All,

I’m interested to know what people use / would consider using as a second car?

I’m looking to take a new job which will involve commuting for 2.5 hours on country roads each day.

Although the 350z is a brilliant car for driving country roads, I don’t particularly want to put the miles on it (1,700 per month), or pay our for the fuel. Equally, I’d rather not sell it to buy something ‘sensible’.

So… wanting the impossible… I’d like a cheap to buy car, that does many MPG and will easily overtake a tractor / pensioner when needed? I'm not overy worried about looks but dont want to pay out a fortune each year to get it MOT'd

Budget is a difficult one, basically I'd like to pay £500 ish and accept that its reasonably unreliable and that I'll buy the same again in 2 years time. My alternative is £2,500 - £3,500 but I'll need it to last a good few years, not causing me any issues, and be a little nicer. Or anywhere in between.

Also, is there anywhere I can get realistic MPG ratings? My misses drives a fiesta which claims 57 MPG on Parkers, non-motorway I’m lucky to get 42 in it.

So far I've been recommended a diesel 307 or a Cleo 1.5 dci? Has anyone had any experience of these? Are they painfully slow? I suppose I'm more interested in 30-70 times than 0-60 times and diesels (is diesel a dirty word on here?) I believe are better than that?

Any thoughts, advice, or recommendations will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

James

I thought about this, and in the end it just didn't turn out viable with me with 2*Tax's, 2*MOT's, 2*Service/Maintenance, Running Cost etc, with all that added up, it just wouldn't make much difference in terms of the miles/selling my car when it comes to it.

All that being said - The only true shed I would buy is a Mk3 Golf. Strong Engine, Reliable car - Parts are easy to source, easy to carry out work your self. Fuel Efficient.

http://www4.autotrad...155tq?logcode=p

And that's petrol, few diesels on there as well.

If you are buying this to save your self money etc, you need to basically scrap the idea of going fast and looking good in it. At the end of the day it's a shed, and it's there to save you money, not to be a 2nd Zed. :) These are awesome cars!

Hope this helps.

Hope

**edit - Before I got my Zed, I almost needed to buy a cheap run around, and almost picked up a MK3 golf for around £200 - The head unit in the car was worth more than the car :lol: So they do come up cheap, Gumtree will be a good place for a shed. **

Edited by grundy225

My 2nd car is a clio dci 80bhp remapped to 110bhp, I've done 60k in it since I bought it and its only needed the usual wear and tear parts

£20 a year tax, cheap ins, I can see almost 80mpg on a run at 70mph and I never see under 60mpg, top speed 125mph and will overtake easily

It's a dynamique which gives you s better interior, auto lights, wipers etc

Low ins, great little car and it's not a chore to drive, everyone is suprised how well it goes

I always say its cheaper than walking ! The fuel figures I quoted are not just off the on board comp but were manually checked ( fuel in, mileage done etc)

I've been to France, Scotland and would travel from n wales to Oxford weekly for work

A full tank will give approx 750 miles for £70-80 fill up

Parts are dirt cheap, I got front discs and pads off ecp with their regular offers they have for £30 !

Hth

Paul

I dunno how much they are, but a smart roadster?

Nippy, nimble, safe, and a future classic (imo)

Dont get the soft top, apparently they leak.

Alternatively, you could look into getting a fair engined diesel saloon.... VW Passat or similar, you will get good mpg, will be more than fast enough to overtake when needed and it will be comfortable. and they are cheaper due to undesirable size.

I run around in a Ford Focus Ghia, 99 plate which I have put 40,000 miles on in 3 years. Only use my z between April and Sept and not every day then. Buy yourself a bullet proof Ford...

Payco

Hi guys.

Cheers for all the advice, very useful.

Grundy, I think you’re right. The cost of running two cars will add a fair amount, so I think the only way it would be feasible would be if I can find a banger for around the 500 mark. And yes, I am expecting a shed, but that’s why I’m keeping the Zed for the weekends : )

That golf you sent a link to is extremely reasonable! Shame its 200+ miles away : ( A couple of people have said stick to petrol, apparently they’re cheaper to fix?

Paul, A Cleo dci 80 does seem the best option if I can pick one up cheap. £20 road tax, 70-80mpg! You best keep an eye on yours ; )

Payco, my father in-law works for Ford so he’d approve of a Focus… with all the criticism I give him for his drive looking like a ford show room I don’t think I could bring myself to do it! Lol.

I’ve got two months before I start, so I’ll keep my eye out and let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

The one I linked was just an example, there should be looooooads out there....

Options A - The Passion Wagon - http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mk3-golf-estate-cl-1995-18l-petrol-good-runner-mot-til-june-14/1048759741#photo-content

Option B - The Dream Machine http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-golf-gti-mk3/1049316412 - Although I'd find one with a years MOT Pref.

Options C - The ' I might be reliable..' http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-golf-driver-mk3/1048559333

Option D - The Bargain! http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/1995-vw-golf-mk3-19-tdi-new-mot/1048603821

Option E - The Centeral Locker - http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mk3-golf-16v/1048523320

Option F - The I don't Give a Fudge - http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/volkswagen-golf-mk3/1047968722

This is fun :lol:

Gumtree! Brilliant idea. All the ones on Autotrader seemed over priced and eBay ones looked questionable.

Love the fact you named them all. My problem is that I start with the "I might be reliable" but always get sucked in by the "Dream Machines"...

I was half way to buying an FTO for £450 the other day!! I'm sure that would save me about £10 a month in fuel and cost £100 a month to run lol.

Thanks once again for the help!