350z gearbox rattle

Steve318895

Hi there I bought a yellow 350z limited edition before Xmas, it's got a rattle from what I thought was the flywheel when I bought it, it's been fitted with a lightweight flywheel and I know that these are common to be noisy at low revs and on idle.

However I took it to a garage for a service and for them to check this knocking out, they've advised me to fit a new gearbox because my one has had the wrong oil put in which has not protected it properly. They've quoted me around £400 in labour and around £1800-£2000 for a new gearbox, ouch....

Is there anyone that can repair this or point me in the right direction for a decent used box???

Where are you based?

Is the gearbox functioning properly? How did the guy know that the wrong oil has been put in there?

Get a second opinion from a garage that knows these cars. Post your location & we can advise on where to take it.

The 350z gearbox is noisy as standard, put a lightweight flywheel in it & it will make it even louder

The guy changed the gearbox oil and said the stuff that came out was burnt and smelly and far too thin to protect the gearbox, the gears do feel fine though, no crunching just that quite loud rattle whilst it's ticking over on idle, completely disappears when you dip the clutch.....

Based down in Rochester kent,

How much we looking at zmanalex?

They rattle like heck with a lightened flywheel. Usually up to about 2K revs when the noise goes away.

Or maybe the release bearing is going, but really the rattle is quite loud normally.

Replace the oil with the correct genuine Nissan oil for the car - nothing else, no matter how fantastic it is supposed to be. It must be the genuine oil or you will have problems.

Add some molyslip though, that can help.

All info gained form Alex in the past :wave:

If the gearbox works then what's the problem with a little noise :) But if its starting to feel odd then Alex is your best bet, and a lot cheaper that a new one I'm sure .

Edited by Toon Chris

The guy changed the gearbox oil and said the stuff that came out was burnt and smelly and far too thin to protect the gearbox, the gears do feel fine though, no crunching just that quite loud rattle whilst it's ticking over on idle, completely disappears when you dip the clutch.....

I live in Hempstead just up the road, I'll be happy to have a listen to your gearbox. I've been wedding for over 6years now so I would say I have a good idea as to what would be normal :thumbs:

I'm also in Rochester, good to see someone local. Not seen you about in it though, is it your daily car?

What garage did you take it to? I would advise taking it to Kaizer Motors, they're just past Hoo on the industrial estate near kingsnorth power station.

Welcome to the forum :)

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Hempstead just up the road, I'll be happy to have a listen to your gearbox. I've been wedding for over 6years now so I would say I have a good idea as to what would be normal :thumbs:

That's a long engagement Darren

After a little drive of the car & a listen to the said rattle I had put it down to a totally shot thrust bearing making a really loud rattle @ idle. So we set out to change the bearing & re-fill the box with genuine Nissan gear oil.

As I started to take it apart I noticed that whoever had put the gearbox back in may have been a little confused, there were 3 bolts loose on the bell housing, 1 of which just about ready to fall out

2014-03-09_13-49-24.jpeg

Got the box out in about 90 minutes to discover a few things

2014-03-09_13-53-56.jpeg

There had been no grease applied to the input shaft or pivot ball

the inside of the box has a CD02 part number & the outer is a CD01, so I'm guessing the box has been re-built or changed at some point

2014-03-09_13-57-28.jpeg

I found that the thrust bearing was in good condition so was then wondering what could be causing the rattle, the input shaft had some play in it & with a quick referral to the workshop manual found that it was within tolerances & had no signs of oil leakage from the bearing seal. A quick call to Mr & Mrs Keyser who suggested the Spigot bearing could be shot, so went to check it & on inserting my tool (que SMD) I found the cause of the rattle

http://seology.com/d...09_14-04-19.mp4

So removed the clutch to find that the plate was broken with lots of heat damage

2014-03-09_14-06-32.jpeg

2014-03-09_14-17-49.jpeg

& Cracked

2014-03-09_14-07-49.jpeg

So a quick spin in the 370 to get a new clutch

2014-03-09_14-09-06.jpeg

2014-03-09_14-09-55.jpeg

Pulled the old bearing off

2014-03-09_14-10-33.jpeg

Fitted the new one

2014-03-09_14-11-07.jpeg

2014-03-09_14-11-36.jpeg

Clutch in & torqued up

2014-03-09_14-12-18.jpeg

New pivot ball fitted & release mech fitted

2014-03-09_14-12-46.jpeg

Gearbox, prop shaft & exhaust re-fitted, new oil with some molyslip then fired it up & the car is fixed, silky smooth & quiet, no new gearbox required :teeth:

Edited by Darren-B

That's a long engagement Darren

haha auto correct :blush: