Chris Harris review on 370z

gstraw

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think anyone who says they dont like entire marques isnt really into their cars.

what utter rubbish ! that is probably the most insulting and stupidest comment I have read on the forum or any forum, nearly all modern day bmw's have a similar feel to them, as do audi ( not sure about the R8)

OK, so Ive driven a 1M, M135i, 123d, E36/E46/E92 M3, E36 328i, E46 330D (estate and saloon), E92 335i, E39 M5 and E38 740i in the last 12 months or so, and you know what? Every single one of them is different to the point I could probably guess which I was driving if I was blindfolded (might crash a bit though), to generalise and say you dont like any is actually utter rubbish, not what Ive just posted.

so if someone says they dont like Ford, you would consider them not to like the Anglia or Zephyr or would you be sensible and think they are talking about the current range that has been available for the last 10 yrs

Funnily enough I have a mate who has just bought a VXR Astra, mainly because he liked his W plate Astra he had before. The cars are totally different but he bought because he likes Vauxhall Astras. Is that not the same thing we are talking about but the other way round? Even if youre keeping to current range, how the hell can someone really dislike everything BMW make from a 118d right up to the M6 convertible, the only thing they have in common is the badge .......

Sipar, fair play, I think I probably did miss your point a bit but by the same token you missed mine - if you are buying purely on looks then the 370 is obviously the car for you, but as soon as you bring anything else into it, particularly how the car makes you feel then you need to have tried the alternatives - like I said, I preferred the IS-F to the 997 before Id even started the engine, it just felt a bit special, likewise I had a lot more fun driving the Missus' MR2 at Anglesey last year than I did my Zed and Id never have expected that before buying one.

I just dont understand the logic behind dropping £30K on a car but ruling options out because of a perception you have about them, when that perception could* be totally wrong - a Cayman could be an infinitely better drive at 8/10s than your 370 is, and the seats might feel like clouds but you didnt know before you bought your Zed, Im the opposite of that TBH :)

* It could equally be totally right as well but you gotta try, right? ;)

Edited by docwra

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think anyone who says they dont like entire marques isnt really into their cars.

what utter rubbish ! that is probably the most insulting and stupidest comment I have read on the forum or any forum, nearly all modern day bmw's have a similar feel to them, as do audi ( not sure about the R8)

OK, so Ive driven a 1M, M135i, 123d, E36/E46/E92 M3, E36 328i, E46 330D (estate and saloon), E92 335i, E39 M5 and E38 740i in the last 12 months or so, and you know what? Every single one of them is different to the point I could probably guess which I was driving if I was blindfolded (might crash a bit though), to generalise and say you dont like any is actually utter rubbish, not what Ive just posted.

so if someone says they dont like Ford, you would consider them not to like the Anglia or Zephyr or would you be sensible and think they are talking about the current range that has been available for the last 10 yrs

Funnily enough I have a mate who has just bought a VXR Astra, mainly because he liked his W plate Astra he had before. The cars are totally different but he bought because he likes Vauxhall Astras. Is that not the same thing we are talking about but the other way round? Even if youre keeping to current range, how the hell can someone really dislike everything BMW make from a 118d right up to the M6 convertible, the only thing they have in common is the badge .......

Sipar, fair play, I think I probably did miss your point a bit but by the same token you missed mine - if you are buying purely on looks then the 370 is obviously the car for you, but as soon as you bring anything else into it, particularly how the car makes you feel then you need to have tried the alternatives - like I said, I preferred the IS-F to the 997 before Id even started the engine, it just felt a bit special, likewise I had a lot more fun driving the Missus' MR2 at Anglesey last year than I did my Zed and Id never have expected that before buying one.

I just dont understand the logic behind dropping £30K on a car but ruling options out because of a perception you have about them, when that perception could* be totally wrong - a Cayman could be an infinitely better drive at 8/10s than your 370 is, and the seats might feel like clouds but you didnt know before you bought your Zed, Im the opposite of that TBH :)

* It could equally be totally right as well but you gotta try, right? ;)

Maybe I'm just destined to be a Z man....until the GTR that is ;)

• Like 1

People who don't buy cars because they're too common or don't like the badge are idiots, tbh.

I hate the Vauxhall badge, but bought the VXR over the Elise purely because I wanted turbo shove. I bought the fat, ugly Datsun over the S2K because I wanted a V6. I didn't buy an M3 because it should've excited me, but didn't. I can understand people genuinely preferring the 370 over a Cayman because they prefer the styling (inside or out), or because they don't want a mid-engined car, or for any other one of a billion other reasons apart from the ones in my opening sentence.

The standard 370 gets better looking externally with every year that passes. I hated it at first, but I really like them now. As long as you're happy with your purchase, and your decisions are logical, then I'm cool with that. :)

• Like 2

I have also driven , 1,3,5 series and m3 extensively and worked on most, they are great cars but I dont like them, I dont know why, they do everything very well and that was my point

but you're insulting pompous reply was not needed

• Like 1

People who don't buy cars because they're too common or don't like the badge are idiots, tbh.

agreed but no one has said that, they have said they dont like the cars not the badge

Im struggling here, youve said that you dont like BMW's, explain to me what an M6 and a 118d have in common other than the badge? Hell, explain what a 318i and an M3 have in common other than the badge ...........

And as for pompous reply, sipar seems to have seen where Im coming from - I dont think it was pompous at all, you just read it that way.

Edited by docwra

agreed but no one has said that, they have said they dont like the cars not the badge

Im struggling here, youve said that you dont like BMW's, explain to me what an M6 and a 118d have in common other than the badge? Hell, explain what a 318i and an M3 have in common other than the badge ...........

And as for pompous reply, sipar seems to have seen where Im coming from - I dont think it was pompous at all, you just read it that way.

the reply was not aimed at sipar it was aimed directly at me .... I realise this is difficult to grasp but as I have stated in the previous posts, they do everything well and I dont know why I dont like them, they tick all the boxes but they are not for me

maybe tophooker has it, maybe it is the styling

Edited by GIXXERUK

I think its great we all like different cars for different reasons :)

I have as probably everyone does some very wealthy friends, some of them are polar opposite on what they like and their budgets are immaterial.

One loves Lambos the other a Ferrari man, the guy who likes Ferraris also loves his Mercs/Audis, the other Porsches/BMW's. One of them sold his 360 Challenge Stradale to buy a GT3 after a month, both equally as fine handling but he wanted to get back in a Porsche as he preferred the branding. You couldnt get two more avid petrol heads, their budgets are just very different to ours so all options and brands become available. When you have that capacity open to you, you are buying a car on looks and brand alone so of course there is brand loyalty and preference.

I always remember when the SLK55AMG was picthed against the Boxster S, two very different cars (engine/handling), with very similar outcomes. My sister had a new SLK55 and a mate a new Boxster S, i was lucky enough to have full use of the SLK and i just loved it, we swapped for a trip out once, i could not wait to get back in the SLK and my mate couldnt wait to get back in his Boxster. I really enjoyed the way the Boxster drove, far more precise than than the SLK, but it didnt give me that special little tingle you just cant explain and i have found that with any Porsche i have driven/been in and also Audi to be fair and i have had the pleasure of driving quite a few, RS4 (turbo and V8 versions), V8 R8). So in essence, no i dont like the Porsche badge, mainly because owners seem to constantly want to tell me i am an "idiot" for example because i dont like them!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

From a whole host of reasons to very few, we are spoilt for choice when buyng cars but whether any one of them ever ticks all the boxes and is within budget, is a utopia I have yet to achieve.

Any number of reasons lead to cars we choose. I recall a friend who got really irritated by a neighbour who copied his every car purchase (4 at the last count) - keeping up with the 'Jones' taken to the extreme, but what a stupid justification (I would not expect anyone on here would think that is a sensible reason!)

But I do understand where Sipar is coming from and judging by the number of former ZED owners who come back on here to buy another after trying other cars indicates the 350/370 have that something that continues to appeal. No doubt Porsche forums and any other one-make/model forums will see the same.

But when I look at the option list of alternative cars any number look promising and I have absolutely no doubt there are many I might enjoy as much, if not more than the 370. But you know what, I can't be arsed to try them all (even if I could) as I am happy with the driving and ownership experience of the 370 to be satisfied with what I have got. And although I could go out and buy a 370 Nismo I personally really can't justify another £20k or so for that upgrade, particularly when it offers no more power than GUNS currently has. Now if it came with 400bhp+...... :D

Also, and in no small measure, the forum adds to the pleasure and moreover has led to many new friendships making drives and meets that more rewarding and whilst the purists might say that is not a good reason for sticking with the 370 it's a dam hard reason, for me, to let go now! :lol:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Whether the review is right or wrong is a matter of opinion and perspective I think. As has been said , it's what you think that matters. I spent months thinking of what car to buy, and as average joe I thought about the cayman, boxster, TT, mazdas etc etc, but not one did it for me in either the looks or individuality arena.....then I stumbled on the 370z which had never entered my mind. I've since bought a 2year old GT with 5k miles on for £20k. Tbh I just love the looks and the feel of the thing, the pace and grunt of the thing is secondary. I for one know I've made the right choice.......for me that is