Performance Gains

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

I have been online this evening reading about performance mods and a question crossed my mind and I wanted to put it to you guys on the forum.

I know you can get superchargers, nitro, etc installed, but with my car for instance, it's top speed is limited to 155 mph, so is adding performance mods to my car really going to make much difference? I could throw on a supercharger, get some Nitro on the go, mod the car up to the max, but it will still only do 155 mph. I am aware that there is more to performance mods than just increasing the speed. It would just be frustrating to say improve a car from 300bhp to 400bhp but never be able to see the true potential of that gain. It would be like having a 1000bhp Bugatti Veyron and limiting it to 150 mph.

Bear in mind that this is all theoretical by the way. I've no inclination to want to max my car anyway. Am just interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Lose weight, better brakes, tyres etc will all help probably more so than a few more hp with standard brakes n stuff.

Realistically 300 hp is more than enough for the road.....BUT we all want more.

Edited by aidan
  • Like 1

The car as far as I'm aware is limited to 155mph. Get an Up-Rev and you can have this removed.

Some people that I have chatted with believe that 6th is geared to 176mph+. Not sure how true that is but the top speed is definitely limited so de-limiting is always possible. :thumbs:

well, in this country at least the speed limit is 70mph, so really, all cars only need about 30hp to do 70 mph... however, there is a huge difference in a car that does 0-70 mph in 20 seconds, and one that can do it in 5.

nobody much cares about top speed these days, as you'll never get anywhere near it. but where performance does matter is in gear acceleration, a 400bhp car will do the standard 40-70mph overtaking move a lot quicker than a 300bhp car.

The performance mods are handy for going round a track or two and surprising guys with cars that would ordinarily hammer a standard 350. As for the top speed, I'd be surprised if anyone hits 155mph on a track in a 350 there would have to be a mega straight and some ludicrous brakes and humongous balls to achieve this and live through the next corner!

I am interested in performance mods, just really needed some feedback in order to justify the cost to myself. LOL.

Don't need to justify the costs... Just do it and worry about justifying it to the mrs at a later stage ;)

My car is limited to 209MPH - of course it will never do it but you can have the speed limiter removed ;)

I very rarely get much over 140 - 145!

Even at castle combe you won't need anything near 155mph and they have a long straight, but it's how it gets there that makes the difference :evil:

If you need further convincing come for a ride in mine with me some time - I'm sure you will understand after that :)

EDIT: - Edited for clarity of information I was trying to get across

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

My car is limited to 209MPH - of course it will never do it but you can have the speed limiter removed ;)

I very rarely get much over 140 - 145 even at castle combe and they have a long straight, but it's how it gets there that makes the difference :evil:

If you need further convincing come for a ride in mine with me some time - I'm sure you will understand after that :)

That's pretty impressive especially as I know what it's like going over Avon Rise into Quarry corner and if you don't get the braking right it can make for a very nasty accident. :surrender:

What sort of lap times have you achieved at Castle Combe Keyser if you know?

you never got to 145 at castle combe.... did you?!? i call BS our beemer only got to 100, think Darrens zed only got to 120 or so!

:lol: Your not trying hard enough.

I got 109mph odd in my old ST24 Mondeo back in 2007 and it was sh*t in comparison to a standard Zed. Did 124mph odd in a Formula Ford but then that was a light weight single seater. ;)

Edit: Just checked on my DVD copy of some of my other old tracks days at Combe ~ had 90mph odd in a Corsa Sport 1.4 (sh*tty Eco engine) and also 102mph odd in a 1992 Rover 214si.

What BMW do you have anyway brillomaster? curious now. :D

Edited by GMballistic

you never got to 145 at castle combe.... did you?!? i call BS our beemer only got to 100, think Darrens zed only got to 120 or so!

I got 109mph odd in my old ST24 Mondeo back in 2007 and it was sh*t in comparison to a standard Zed. Did 124mph odd in a Formula Ford but then that was a light weight single seater. ;)

Edit: Just checked on my DVD copy of some of my other old tracks days at Combe ~ had 90mph odd in a Corsa Sport 1.4 (sh*tty Eco engine) and also 102mph odd in a 1992 Rover 214si.

To be fair he is not far off - 125mph by the car speedo at CC is probably as good as it gets, I was not trying to give my times on any particular circuit more point out that having a top speed above 155mph is just a pub figure there are not many places to do it! - airfields and Germany strike me as about the only 2.

I of course would never go over 70mph on a public road ;)

You are not allowed to time a CC so I have no idea (1:26.8)

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. If it's simply a higher top speed, then you need lots of power and some aero tweeks. If it's 0-60, lose some weight and grab some sticky tyres. If it's point-to-point, then do the same as 0-60 but sort the suspension and brakes out too.

Performance means different things to different people. Personally I'm tired of having cars with mega horsepower that you cannot get anywhere near the potential of on country roads, and so I'd rather have something slower I can actually use but that handles well. Big power is fun, no denying that, but there are times when I wish my 911 had 100bhp less and shorter gearing so I could rev that gorgeous engine some more instead.

To be fair he is not far off - 125mph by the car speedo at CC is probably as good as it gets, I was not trying to give my times on any particular circuit more point out that having a top speed above 155mph is just a pub figure there are not many places to do it! - airfields and Germany strike me as about the only 2.

I of course would never go over 70mph on a public road ;)

You are not allowed to time a CC so I have no idea (1:26.8)

I've not heard of not being allowed to time at Castle Combe?! Anyway if you have video recordings of your track day/race day keyser then you can just lap time yourself from that using a stopwatch anyway. :dry:

1:26 is pretty fast around Combe in a Zed eitherway. B) Gives you an average speed of around 78mph odd I believe so not too shabby at all. :)

We've got an old 328i, good solid car! So far our performance upgrades amount to added lightness, suspension and brakes. Next thing on the list are tyres, and only then might we think about some power!

by far and away our biggest problems were stopping and cornering, but now they're improved its such a better drive- right up there with the late brakers, and really nice through faster turns.

We've got an old 328i, good solid car! So far our performance upgrades amount to added lightness, suspension and brakes. Next thing on the list are tyres, and only then might we think about some power!

by far and away our biggest problems were stopping and cornering, but now they're improved its such a better drive- right up there with the late brakers, and really nice through faster turns.

Sound's like a good plan. ;):thumbs:

I've not heard of not being allowed to time at Castle Combe?!

You need to l listen at the safety brief in the morning - every track day there the same thing.

"No timing of any form is allowed today" Doesn't stop anyone but that's why I said you are not allowed - they even mention you can't have your mate on the wall with a stopwatch and no using phone apps - The guy in the GTR just laughed and said mines built in ;)

Never thought I was that quick to be honest Captain I think does a 1:26 in an NA - he did spend a lot of time there so he knows the track, one of the guys from DJCC is supposed to do sub 1:20's - Tiff has done a 1:10 (or so I read) :scare:

I've not heard of not being allowed to time at Castle Combe?!

You need to l listen at the safety brief in the morning - every track day there the same thing.

"No timing of any form is allowed today" Doesn't stop anyone but that's why I said you are not allowed - they even mention you can't have your mate on the wall with a stopwatch and no using phone apps - The guy in the GTR just laughed and said mines built in ;)

Never thought I was that quick to be honest Captain I think does a 1:26 in an NA - he did spend a lot of time there so he knows the track, one of the guys from DJCC is supposed to do sub 1:20's - Tiff has done a 1:10 (or so I read) :scare:

Either it's a relatively new thing that there is no timing allowed or I'm never listening properly at the briefings. Probably the latter. :lol:

Tbh I haven't done a track day at Castle Combe in quite a while now. I know Combe very well as I did loads of track days/race days there each year but mainly through the late 1990's up until 2007/08.

Best time's I ran where; 1:39:00 in my unmodified 1992 Rover 214si, 1:45:45 in my unmodified 1996 Vauxhall Corsa Sport and 1:35:28 in my 1998 Ford Mondeo ST24 again unmodified (apart from an induction kit).

When I started doing the track days it was so funny in comparison to today ~ no queues, just turn up & pay (around £20/£25 odd), overtaking on corners allowed (not even mentioned in safety briefings as far as I recall), you could use hand held cameras in car and no helmets needed as long as you where driving a tin top. :lol: Old school rules. :D

Edited by GMballistic