Dry January

Flex

I don't drink, rather spend the money on the Z :thumbs:

That sounds good, I'm going to put mine towards a wedding!

I'm also doing that haha. Juggling the two currently :) the soon to be mrs is supportive though. She's currently trying to find me a carbon fibre wedding ring haha!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

get this one!

featured8.jpg

• Like 1

The way I see it, is if you have to make an effort not to drink you've got underlying issues! :p

Joking aside, I seldom drink, however some friends want sponsorship for dryathalon. I mean, really? I replied saying I'd sponsor them for a 1/2 marathon, or something worthwhile, there's no effort needed not to drink alcohol.

• Like 2

The way I see it, is if you have to make an effort not to drink you've got underlying issues! :p

Joking aside, I seldom drink, however some friends want sponsorship for dryathalon. I mean, really? I replied saying I'd sponsor them for a 1/2 marathon, or something worthwhile, there's no effort needed not to drink alcohol.

And if there is actual exertion required to not drink I think they need to find someone to sponsor them into rehab :lol:

• Like 1

Im trying it myself. If I manage not to have a drink throughout all of Jan then it will be the longest ive gone without a drink since I was a teenager, so will be quite a challange for me.

On the fitness side of things though ive never been one for a new years resolution like that, as if you are considering getting into shape why wait? Start straight away. Ive been hitting the weights again quite seriously since October, and so 3 months into it im noticing some good improvements and slowly getting back to the sort of size / strength I used to be when I was younger. Will be a while yet, but the way I see it, im 3 months ahead on getting into shape than my missus who is the typical "lets start a new fad diet as a new years resolution" person.

The secret I find is to set small goals then you are more likely to hit them.

• Like 1

A few comments from non drinkers saying how easy it is, I dont think you can understand really.

Drink is addictive just like, nicotine, caffeine, herion etc and once it has you in it's clutches it's hard to give up. I only started the topic really to see if anyone else was trying it and perhaps give each other support.

A few comments from non drinkers saying how easy it is, I dont think you can understand really.

Drink is addictive just like, nicotine, caffeine, herion etc and once it has you in it's clutches it's hard to give up. I only started the topic really to see if anyone else was trying it and perhaps give each other support.

To be fair, I've never been a drinker, nor smoked or done heroin ( :lol: ) so as you say, it's not fair for me to judge.

Good luck, I honestly hope you succeed, I just wouldn't sponsor anyone to do it :)

I'll donate to charity if you can give up all 4 & the cocaine :lol:

• Like 1

I enjoy a drink from time to time, but that's exactly my point. If it's an effort, then you have to evaluate what relationship you have with alcohol. :)

If you really are as addicted as you say you are, then it will be a challenge, and I genuinely wish you all the best. However, I also hope that it allows you to improve your relationship with alcohol allowing you to take a step away from it in the future. You will improve your health and life. :)

But I'm a gym and nutrition/fitness bore - so I see things differently, I mean no disrespect or ill will.

Edited by wmr1980

Have to agree, it is quite hard to give it up if its something which either you enjoy or think you enjoy and are just addicted to. I gave up smoking a few years back and that was a nightmare, but now i wouldnt dream of having a cigarette again.

For me 2014 is the turn around year and im looking forward to a good one.

Good luck!

I'll donate to charity if you can give up all 4 & the cocaine :lol:

:lol:

I enjoy a drink from time to time, but that's exactly my point. If it's an effort, then you have to evaluate what relationship you have with alcohol. :)

If you really are as addicted as you say you are, then it will be a challenge, and I genuinely wish you all the best. However, I also hope that it allows you to improve your relationship with alcohol allowing you to take a step away from it in the future. You will improve your health and life. :)

But I'm a gym and nutrition/fitness bore - so I see things differently, I mean no disrespect or ill will.

I'm probably the fittest I've been for years and that's why booze has to go as it's a total contradiction to everything else I'm doing.

• Like 1

Have to agree, it is quite hard to give it up if its something which either you enjoy or think you enjoy and are just addicted to. I gave up smoking a few years back and that was a nightmare, but now i wouldnt dream of having a cigarette again.

For me 2014 is the turn around year and im looking forward to a good one.

Good luck!

Lets do it!!!

I have the odd drink, but really as long as you are honest with yourself its no big deal i.e. "I only have three drinks a week doc" at your annual check up - when in reality its more like thirty. Its just as bad for you as eating too much red meat, not enough iron, eating anything from a high street food chain (Subway is horrendous), breathing in whilst outside at the Ace Cafe (North Circular the most polluted road in the UK)...we encounter bad health every day, as long as none of it is to excess!

Its why I find all these 'guides' about having strict diets and eating sachets of gloop for a month just quite frustrating, as none of them recommend you get outside, go for a walk, take the stairs, play sport etc.

• Like 2

I rarely drink anything other than tea these days, I'll maybe have a shandy if we eat out but that's about it. I've managed to drop my weight to 80 kilos from 85 by walking 2 or 3 miles a couple of times a week. When I was running anything from 30-60 miles a week I was under 65 kilos :scare: .

Pete