MacBook Pro retina case

Neilp

Alright guys! Looking for a bit of info on cases to protect a new MacBook Pro retina.

Decide to treat myself to a new 15" one and currently awaiting arrival of it.

Can any of you guys recommend where to get one from and a decent one to get?

Any decent accessories to buy also? I have ordered the SuperDrive with it but that is it.

Any info and help will be appreciated!

Cheers

Cheers doogs! I'm still trying to decide whether I should get a hard skin cover also! I'm not going to be using it for work but want to keep it protected while it's at home. Our family can be clumsy at times!

Can't wait to get it! Can't believe how much the blooming thing cost after spec-ing it to what I wanted!

I keep specing them up, then chickening out. Did you go for the dedicated graphics or the iris pro?

it doesn't give the option on the new MacBook Pro to have dedicated graphics. Only option available is the iris pro.

I'm not going to be gaming on it. It's more for photo editing and video editing that I wanted it for as my current laptop is dying off trying to run photoshop cs5. Not looking forward to the bill for cs6 for Mac though :(

Oh, easy choice then :lol: I thought they did one with a discrete NVIDIA card.

I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it!

I think that was the old MacBook Pro that offered that.

I know mate! I've been playing with my mates which has the non-haswell processor and it is just unbelievable!

I have iPads and all that stuff but never had the balls to drop a couple of grand on a laptop lol

I was like that when I took the plunge on my 2011 iMac, after the Zed it's the biggest purchase I've made. My previous was a Mac was PowerBook 1400cs back in the day, then I'd been in the PC wilderness for a few years due to work, so I was bit unsure. Turned out perfect though, it's not missed a beat since I plugged it in and it's as fast today as it was on day one.

I think you might have forced me to just have another look...

I was like that when I took the plunge on my 2011 iMac, after the Zed it's the biggest purchase I've made. My previous was a Mac was PowerBook 1400cs back in the day, then I'd been in the PC wilderness for a few years due to work, so I was bit unsure. Turned out perfect though, it's not missed a beat since I plugged it in and it's as fast today as it was on day one.

I think you might have forced me to just have another look...

lol do it!

Does anybody else have any experience of hard shell covers?

Edited by Neilp

I just use an old Antler leather one that I got free with a PC laptop nearly 10 years ago, does the job. It has a velcro strip that can be positioned to be level with the side of the laptop to stop it sliding about and also a velcro strap to hold it down in place.

Apples prices are a joke for speccing up. Never ever upgrade the RAM, it'll cost less than half the price if you buy it from Crucial :thumbs:

Yep, just bought one a week or so ago after my old laptop died... Went for the cheapest 15" pro retina as I've put linux on it and really don't need the extra resources. Lovely bit of hardware, missing the page up/down,end,del etc keys though! Surely they could have moved the speakers down besides the touchpad and added a few more keys. :(

Can't wait to get it! Can't believe how much the blooming thing cost after spec-ing it to what I wanted!

Your telling me, I went out to buy a new laptop a couple of weeks ago expecting to spend about 400-500 came back with a the macbook pro retina, all singing & dancing & nearly £2k over budget :blush:

But what a great bit of kit, the screen is awesome :)

• Like 1

Your telling me, I went out to buy a new laptop a couple of weeks ago expecting to spend about 400-500 came back with a the macbook pro retina, all singing & dancing & nearly £2k over budget :blush:

I'm finding the screen a little over kill tbh, the fonts are tiny under linux! :(

Linux is the Android of computer operating systems. Mac OS comes with a program called Bootcamp and you can also download another called Parallels, these enable you to run Windows or Linux on a Mac if you happen to have a program that isn't available for Mac OS.

I'm finding the screen a little over kill tbh, the fonts are tiny under linux! :(

Why waste such a beautiful hardware that comes with an amazing OS on crap stuff like Linux. What is it that you can find on Linux and mac OS X 10.9.1 doesn't have?

I use the console more than you think, compile drivers etc One of the strong points of Mac OS X is the beautiful fonts available :)