Cold weather transmission whine

HT

During cold weather I've noticed a whine on my 350z (51K) which I guess must be from either the gearbox or diff. It's worse directly after setting off, but gradually gets less noisy & clears completely after a few miles. If I let it idle & warm up for 5 or 10 mins before setting off, no whine. The colder the weather, the worse it is. All servicing carried out as per schedule by Nissan main dealer. Any ideas what it's likely to be and should I be getting it looked at??

I get this aswell! When it's cold, kinda like a squealing noise but as you say, clears up quite quickly but depends on day to day. If someone could confirm what it is, that'd be great because I went to Nissan dealership and they couldn't help. Also, on cold days when I start it up, the revs jump up and down around idle when I first start the car. Not sure whether it's related or not...?

It's gearbox whine and is normal. If all of your synchros are ok don't touch it mate. Loads of boxes out there doing exactly the same thing and they don't get any worse. Try using nissan brand gear. Oil and a molyslip but it won't get rid of the noise but may reduce it. We have customer cars with exacky the same issue. :thumbs:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk