coilover rear top mount strengthening - how?

Desey

Ok so ive fitted hsd monopros to the rear (and front)

they are awesome, not much left of my handbrake now

ive been reading i need to strengthen my top mountz due to increased force from removing the inboard spring system

so im gonna do that, but i don't know what that is

any help greatly appreciated

I've heard people speak of this, I've also heard of people using full coilover set ups without any issues and I'm yet to see evidence of what can go wrong. I understand the reason it may cause issues, but as far as I know there's no failures with people using this set up :shrug:

Same issue as E36/46 bmws when fitting coilover rear suspension, the turret isn't designed to take the load of a full coilover so say for instance you hit a pothole the rear turret will crack/tear

Not uncommon at all with bmw, thats the reason I went hsd dual tech for the z and bilsten shocks and eibach springs on my 36

After a quick google, it seems that seam welding the turret and the addition of triangulars is the done thing, if I understand right it means making up triangular pieces out of metal and weld them to the turret tops and perhaps integrate them into a rollcage or something?

Hence Alex comment about getting your welder out?

Edited by BulletMagnet

Personally I don't think that you need to reinforce anything using an aftermarket true rear coilover system designed for the zed.eg the HSD. They use way softer springs springs to start with to overcome the issue.

However if you were running a custom rear coilover system eg for racing or drifting that then boom you will break something.

Edited by GT4 Zed

Personally I don't think that you need to reinforce anything using an aftermarket true rear coilover system designed for the zed.eg the HSD. The use use way softer springs springs to start with to overcome the issue.

However if you where running a custom rear coilover system eg fir rsce or that then boom you will break something.

Now in English please! :lol:

Personally I don't think that you need to reinforce anything using an aftermarket true rear coilover system designed for the zed.eg the HSD. The use use way softer springs springs to start with to overcome the issue.

However if you where running a custom rear coilover system eg fir rsce or that then boom you will break something.

Now in English please! :lol:

Soft boing boing mean no bang bang with true coilover, but if hard boing boing then bang bang possible

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Was just going to ask this question my self but every one has done it for me now:-)

Ok so ive fitted hsd monopros to the rear (and front)

they are awesome, not much left of my handbrake now

ive been reading i need to strengthen my top mountz due to increased force from removing the inboard spring system

so im gonna do that, but i don't know what that is

any help greatly appreciated

Di you ever do the reinforcement welding on you Z then ? And was it cheap ?

had them on for a few months now with some spirited extreme bordeline reckless driving :lol:

havent done any welding or whatnot yet, and im running the coileys stiff as hell

no issues to report yet!!!

Edited by Desey