looking to buy... transmission noise on test drive!?

Pierscoe1

Hello all,

Just been to test-drive a 350Z ('56 296 variant)...

There seemed to be a lot of what I think was transmission noise in the cabin.. a whiney sort of noise, distinct from engine noise.

Is this normal, or does it point to something wrong?

Also, the bite-point of the clutch was quite high-up in the travel which felt a bit odd to me. Again, is that how they all are, of is it awaiting some big bills?

I plan to go and try another one to compare, but thought it'd be worth gathering the collective wisdom here too...

Yup high bite as said above.

Shouldnt really be making a whining noise...unless its supercharged?!!!!

Yeah go and compare with other Zeds. Thinking back I drove about 6 before I found one I thought felt the best.

A bit of "chattering" from the clutch is normal, don't think I've heard of whining from the transmission being normal though, if you're unsure walk away, there's loads around.

Also look at the member cars for sale forum on here: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/51-zeds-for-sale/

Trade Link usually have a good selection of Zs stock, they're on here but seem to get a mixed response. Basically people seem to complain about their cars being overpriced, but you're paying extra for good service and warranty etc so in my view it's probably worth it to get a good car if they have what you're after: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/202-trade-link/

I suppose it depends on where its coming from, front or back? If its the back could be diff. Have you checked the oil in it? A cheap way of testing if it is the diff change the oil or put in a oil additive that might make it quieter then monitor how long it takes to come back, if it does.

yup, I will have to compare.

Was just wondering if you'd expect to hear much mechanical (but not engine) noise generally...

I've also been looking at a Z4 coupe (am I allowed to say that here :-P )... which was basically silent apart from induction noise when you put your foot down.

yup, I will have to compare.

Was just wondering if you'd expect to hear much mechanical (but not engine) noise generally...

I've also been looking at a Z4 coupe (am I allowed to say that here :-P )... which was basically silent apart from induction noise when you put your foot down.

You can say Z4 on here , but members will assume you are a hairdresser.. :scare:

Go drive some more Zeds

I saw, fell in love and bought the first zed I drove. Fantastic price with very low mileage for a 2004 car and had a full dealer service history, BUT its cost me so-far somewhere in the region of 1-1.5k in repairs it needed. Things like an upcoming service, new tyres, bushes, all droplinks and the bill next year to get the aircon fixed all add up very quickly.

It was alarming (until I learned better) the amount of noises you hear within the cabin. The zed is just a very mechanical sounding car, still makes me worry sometimes but the only way you will know if that one is a dud is to drive another.

I also have the transmission issue with the syncro (as I believe many other members do) but ive just learnt to shift slowly from 5th > 6th and let the revs dull down a little. Cant afford the £800+ for a gearbox to cure a problem that only occurs if your already breaking the speed limit anyway, changing into 6th rapidly at high revs will easily put you over 100mph so don't really see the point...

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 2

Having driving a '47 MG TC with a brand new 'box that makes loads of noises, but is apparently fine. I'd say if you don't like a noise from a gut feeling then steer away, but otherwise as long as the gears are engaging and not grinding and you're comfortable it's fine.

**Shameless plug**

Mine's for sale if you fancy a drive.

As I said before, I think the OP is understandably concerned by the noise. The zed is very mechanical and makes some quite frankly agricultural noises sometimes so its hard to say what is and isn't normal.

Best advise was to go and test drive another zed and see if you hear the same noise, if you do, then take your pick, if not, avoid car #1. On a test drive I think everyone drives on edge and understandably questions every rattle and squeak, but you only learn what's normal when you have others cars of the same model to compare it too.

I had a quick test drive in BulletMagnet's zed before buying mine so I knew roughly what to expect (damn you Mark! lol) and even then I picked up a car that needed some mechanical work as I stated above.

• 2 weeks later...