R888s now suitable for winter use

Ekona

So I was doing some digging earlier regarding some new tyres for the MR2, and was hunting for the right sizes in R888 on the Toyo website when I clicked on the 'Caution! Low temperature use' link. This used to say that they shouldn't be used under something like 7c, however it now reads that they shouldn't be used under -9c. That's a massive improvement, and certainly opens them up to far more usage than previously recommended. It very rarely hits -9c down here, so I'd be quite happy running them all year round I think.

Now clearly for daily drivers they're probably no use for most people, but for the keen driver this removes a huge obstacle that was previously there. I know most folks will never use them, but those that do will really see why this is great news. :)

It's certainly good news that they won't perish while sat on the drive, but I'm not going to venture out on an icy road with 888s any time soon. Wet roads is one thing with 888s (surprisingly good..even through standing water!) but greasy/icy/frosty, no thanks.

Andy

It's certainly good news that they won't perish while sat on the drive, but I'm not going to venture out on an icy road with 888s any time soon. Wet roads is one thing with 888s (surprisingly good..even through standing water!) but greasy/icy/frosty, no thanks.

Well duh, no road tyres are any good on ice, so the 888s wouldn't be any different :lol:

Edited by Ekona

Well duh, no road tyres are any good on ice, so the 888s wouldn't be any different :lol:

Well, duh, I'm pretty sure that -9 deg C would suggest the roads might be icy in your post, otherwise what's the point you're trying to make!? You can now use 888s between 7 deg C and 3 deg C, whoop-ti-doo

Edited by andysmee

Well, duh, I'm pretty sure that -9 deg C would suggest the roads might be icy in the OP's post, otherwise what's the point they're trying to make!? You can now use 888s between 7 deg C and 3 deg C, whoop-ti-doo

Actually, you get ice with moisture. If there is no moisture, then there is no ice at sub zero temperatures. This is possible on days when the dew point is is far away from the outside air temperature. In layman's terms, a dry day. However, the colder the surface, the less grip you have.

Hope this wasn't too sarcastic ;)

So I was doing some digging earlier regarding some new tyres for the MR2

Do you use the '2 on track? We had a few Mk2 Tubbys for track use and the Yoko AD08s were amazing on track. Hence why I bought them for my Z.

Haven't had a chance yet, at least not with this one, but I will do. Tbh I was struggling to find anything decent to fit the stock 15" wheels on the mk3, and in the end it was between Yoko S.drives or the 888s. Given that I'll not use it if the weather is really that bad, I kinda just decided to go for it! :D

I'd have loved a set of Neovas (the LTS S1 type), but I need 16" rears for that.

Got them delivered today (great service by DT), so had them fitted this afternoon. Now, I know they're brand new. I know the release agent is still to come off. I know the roads are cold and slippery.

BUT HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP I HAVE SO MUCH GRIP I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT ALL!!! :D :D :D

I really, really love these tyres. R888s FTW FTW!*

*For the winter for the win :teeth:

Nope, never going to be banned. There was talk that they wouldn't be able to be made when the EU brought in these regs that tyres must last for a certain amount of time, but they got that bit of legislation spot-on and all it did was to kill the seriously crappy chinese tyres and left us with the good stuff :thumbs:

Give them a go, you'll love them.

Edited by Ekona

Nope, never going to be banned. There was talk that they wouldn't be able to be made when the EU brought in these regs that tyres must last for a certain amount of time, but they got that bit of legislation spot-on and all it did was to kill the seriously crappy chinky tyres and left us with the good stuff :thumbs:

Give them a go, you'll love them.

What are they like with water as in puddles?

How are they in the wet?

If it can do them ok then I'd have no reason to use anything else as I have winter tyres for when its cold but don't want something that can be defeated by standing water or the likes.

Good as gold. I've used them on the Zed and the VXR in the past across all weathers and they were fine, as long as you drive to the conditions. In the same way that if there was a torrential downpour and you had tyres with half their tread on you'd be a bit careful, the same applies to these.

What I think some people do (not you, in general) is see the words "semi-slick" then just assume they'll be awful on anything other than a dry track. The truth is that they are E-marked road legal tyres, and as such had to pass strict tests to get that marking. If they were terrible in the wet, then they wouldn't be able to sell them in the EU.

If you can generate a bit of heat into them, then they stick like anything. :)

You say that. Not on the Z but I had infinity tyres that came with the car. They where your boggo ling long types. Dry they there fine. In the wet I was wheelspinning with no throttle lol.

Good info. Im very tempted to run them once my mpss are done. I do agree with the semi slick part it just throws me. My commute is mainly dual carrigeway and if it rains slightly there is a problem with puddles/standing water. I wouldn't want to be driving 30mph on a main road because the tyres aren't suitable. What about wear? Slow/fast?

My commute is mainly dual carrigeway and if it rains slightly there is a problem with puddles/standing water. I wouldn't want to be driving 30mph on a main road because the tyres aren't suitable. What about wear? Slow/fast?

You'd be fine to drive on them in those conditions. My first ever drive in the VXR was in horrendous weather and this was back when I gave very little thought about the tyres, and they held up without a care in the world.

Wear will be horrendous, expect to see around 5-7k miles out of them depending on driving style. That's on the GG (medium) compound, which is the most common one.

My commute is mainly dual carrigeway and if it rains slightly there is a problem with puddles/standing water. I wouldn't want to be driving 30mph on a main road because the tyres aren't suitable. What about wear? Slow/fast?

You'd be fine to drive on them in those conditions. My first ever drive in the VXR was in horrendous weather and this was back when I gave very little thought about the tyres, and they held up without a care in the world.

Wear will be horrendous, expect to see around 5-7k miles out of them depending on driving style. That's on the GG (medium) compound, which is the most common one.

I agree you could get those sort of miles out of these tyres if its a daily driver but do a couple of track days and you will be horrified by the wear rate!!

If you dont do too many miles,do the odd track day and are carefull when its lashing then the extra grip is well worth it.